Fitbit calorie adjustments

Options
I walk on my treadmill 45 min a day. I just started adding incline to increase the intensity. What is the proper way to record this? The fit bit I have has no way of knowing the intensity of my walking. My treadmill display shows calories burned. I'm not sure how accurate it is but it does show significantly more calories burned per minute at level four then at level one for example. If I record the calories that my treadmill shows and have my fit bit connected am I double dipping?

Replies

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    CLKgramma wrote: »
    I walk on my treadmill 45 min a day. I just started adding incline to increase the intensity. What is the proper way to record this? The fit bit I have has no way of knowing the intensity of my walking. My treadmill display shows calories burned. I'm not sure how accurate it is but it does show significantly more calories burned per minute at level four then at level one for example. If I record the calories that my treadmill shows and have my fit bit connected am I double dipping?

Yes. Don't worry about the "extra" burned from the incline. While it does increase the intensity and therefore the number of calories burned, chances are that it's not going to be significant enough to worry about, especially at 45 minutes. Gym machines are notorious for overestimating calories burned as well.

Just take the fitbit-added walking calories, it's the simplest and the least likely to lead to accidental overconsumption and therefore shrinking or eliminating a daily deficit. It's terrible to put in a bunch of exercise effort and then wipe it out because of a too generous estimation, you know?
  • Deckhand562
    Deckhand562 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I agree with pele. I find that my fitbit calculates an extremely high rate of calories burned, so I don't count any calories as a calorie adjustment in MFP.