How to bench press More?

Options
i blame my long limbs they have there plus signs longer reach for fighting making deadlifts easier but as for bench pressing it's clear that range of motion someone with shorter arms has less work to do then someone with longer arms lol

So that's the excuses out there I want to bench press more

I'm incline benching 70kg for 4 sets of between 5-10

And flat bench is poor is about the same 70kg for 4 sets of about 6-8

I want to be able to bench 120kg as that will be my body weight and a half which I think would be a great goal to reach

So any tips on increasing my bench would be great

Replies

• KickboxFanatic
    KickboxFanatic Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    to bench more, you simply have to bench more often. Look into a Smolov Jr Bench program or similar and put the time in under the bar.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Smolov Jr is a program meant for elite lifters, where you will shock your body by benching so much at the cost of lowering your other lifts.

Someone of your level can get results without having to hop on a smolov program.

What are your stats? Age, height, weight, training history, and 1rm / 5rm?

Without knowing the above, look up intermediate programs such as Texas Method or 5/3/1 to increase your bench on a weekly or monthly basis. Texas method has you benching volume early in the week (5 sets of 5 reps), go light in the middle, then 1 set of 5 reps heavy weight.

Where does your bench die? Do you stall with it on your chest? Or are you unable to lock out? If the former, add pause-bench-presses, where you hold the weight on your chest for 5 seconds (no relaxing!). If the latter, close grip bench press helps strengthen your lockout. These are good accessory work on top of the regular benching.

If you bench 3x a week, it WILL improve.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Do lifts that overload your muscles, do no more than three sets of 6. If you get six all three sets increase the weight and keep at it. I have been able to increase my strength, muscles and weights with this. It works well!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are winging it and could benefit from a solid progressive lifting program. How long have you been lifting?