Options
Hi

Can you please help me understand the
Goal-food + exercise = remaning equation

my goal is 1200 but always eating more bc of exercise but i am staying within the allotted amount.

Kat

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    When you use MFP you enter details like gender, height, weight, age and your current activity level. Activity level is about your general life NOT counting exercise. So in your job, around the house, hobbies, etc.

MFP takes that information to estimate how much energy (calories) your body uses up in a normal day. For sake of example lets say its 2000. Then you say how much weight you want to lose per week. MFP deducts 250 for .5 pounds, 500 for 1 pound, 750 for 1.5 pounds, or 1000 for 2 pounds.

If MFP thinks you'll burn 2000 per day and you want to lose 2 pounds, you arrive at a 1200 calorie consumption goal because MFP won't tell you to eat less than that.

Then if you exercise, you burn calories in addition to what MFP projected. So you eat more. Lets say you go for a 45 minute brisk walk and burn 175 calories. Your day would be 1200 + 175 = 1375 to consume.

Be careful not to overestimate calories from exercise.
  • kateglen15
    kateglen15 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    ok great, and you still lose weight that way?
  • dohertylynn
    dohertylynn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi ya new to this
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    kateglen15 wrote: »
    ok great, and you still lose weight that way?

Yes. Your deficit is included in the 1200 goal. So if you burn more, you can eat more and you'll still have the deficit. Deficit = weight loss.