Calories difference

Options
What do I do if this app says something is 230 calories but the packaging says 130?
Change it to packaging? Sorry if silly question :)

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Are the serving sizes for both entries the same?
  • mrswizz395
    mrswizz395 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yeah.
  • mrswizz395
    Options
    Oops. Yeah. Same size but half the calories on the packaging. Maybe one is fried one is grilled?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I would trust the package over a random entry on the internet.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Check serving size and also I have noticed some products have changed nutritional/calorie information recently but not by 100 calories usually. I've noticed a difference in enough products to sit back and go hmm what's up lol. (Stuff I've logged since early last year and knew info from then and now)
  • mrswizz395
    Options
    Cheers. I already can't count lunch as ate out and no idea the calories in a tofu veg stir fry (how high can it be??) so don't wanna be 1000s calories out lol
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Assuming the serving sizes are the same, and the state of the product on both the app and package matches, for example, both are for 'raw uncooked' (or whatever) then you are probably seeing a user submitted database error.

Or, one is for the uncooked state, and one is for the cooked state.
  • mrswizz395
    Options
    Perfect. Thanks for help all. This calorie counting is kind of addictive lol
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    when eating out, I do a search and choose an entry that seems reasonably realistic. e.g. I would do a search for a tofu veg stirfry and likely take the calorie count from a place like PF Chang's or Panda Express since I figure theirs are likely to be on the high side.

Sometimes I do general google searches to see the range of calorie counts and give it my best guess. Livestrong's website tends to have a lot of helpful info.

I recently wanted to see how much my fave honey garlic chicken wings from my local wing spot would be. I used Buffalo Wild Wings and figured out 6 wings with loads of sauce will likely end up being 800-1000 cals. *sigh*.

I do that when I eat at friend's houses too. e.g. had dinner at a friend's place last night and had to completely guesstimate since I didn't weigh or measure anything. I aim to be somewhat accurate while overestimating when unsure. I counted a large slice of ham as 1.5 slices of ham, a scoop of mushrooms as 1 cup of Golden Corral sauteed mushrooms, ad so on.