Expat struggling to get healthy

Options
Hi! I've been part of the MFP community for awhile but dropped it about 18 months ago when my one year old started having serious medical problems. I gained about 15 pounds in a few months time, just trying to cope with all of it. And then last August we moved our family to Oman. We love it here! Dealing with cultural shock I turned again to food, anything that tasted like home, I could justify. It's strange how memories and food are so link. Anyway, add on another 5-6 pounds. I hardly fit into the clothes I brought with me.

I also got some time of stress fracture in my ankle since being here. I'm learning I have to really cook from scratch here to find anything healthy. There are lots of awesome restaurants, but they cater to typical western comfort food.

PLEASE add me! I want to get this thing done! My 30th birthday is nine months away and I don't want to waste anymore time regretting how I look and feel. Thank you!

Replies

• marquisbob
    marquisbob Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Lots of us guilty of comfort eating. Breaking the habit and cooking from scratch is a great move. Keep strong, you can do this! Feel free to add me
  • flourchildinoman
    flourchildinoman Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Will do!
  • joysho69
    joysho69 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I absolutely understand where you are coming from. I have just recently joined back up with MFP after some lifestyle changes and the weight coming on. Feel free to add me and lets get this weight off together. I have about 35 more pounds to go. 15 needs to come off before my vacation in June. That is the goal I have set :smiley:
  • flourchildinoman
    Options
    joysho69 wrote: »
    I absolutely understand where you are coming from. I have just recently joined back up with MFP after some lifestyle changes and the weight coming on. Feel free to add me and lets get this weight off together. I have about 35 more pounds to go. 15 needs to come off before my vacation in June. That is the goal I have set :smiley:

Awesome! I'm hoping to lost about 20-25 more.

• Sam_the_Dark_Stallion
    Options
    Although I am from Jordan which is not far away from the GCC, still I gained 30 kilos in the first 4 months in KSA.. now I started to eat only home made , raw and fresh food ... change your lifestyle for good .. not for only 9 months
  • flourchildinoman
    Options
    Although I am from Jordan which is not far away from the GCC, still I gained 30 kilos in the first 4 months in KSA.. now I started to eat only home made , raw and fresh food ... change your lifestyle for good .. not for only 9 months

Oh yes, I know. Typically, I've done pretty well at maintaining a healthy weight. Being here and being homesick, I definitely justified anything that felt tasted like home. Learning how to create healthy foods from scratch here has been a learning curve too. Thanks!