Looking for healthy ground beef recipes please!

majigurl
majigurl Posts: 660 Member
Lets start a healthy ground beef recipe lists.

It's on sale.. but I'm tired of tacos lol

Please send me your awesome healthy ground beef recipes. Link away !!

Replies

• SquidVonBob
    SquidVonBob Posts: 290 Member
    Cook this not that has a good sloppy joes recipe. Just sub the turkey for beef.
  • SquidVonBob
    SquidVonBob Posts: 290 Member
    Also you could try a spaghetti squash with meat sauce bake.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Stuffed Pepper Soup (from Cooking Light)

1/2 pound ground round
    2 cups chopped green bell pepper
    1 cup chopped onion
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 (14-ounce) can less-sodium beef broth
    1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 (10 3/4-ounce) can tomato soup, undiluted
    1 1/2 cups hot cooked white rice

Heat a small Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook 3 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Add chopped green bell pepper and onion; cook 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in black pepper, less-sodium beef broth, diced tomatoes, and tomato soup; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes.
    Spoon 1/4 cup hot cooked white rice into each of 6 bowls; top with 1 cup soup.

*Variations: for tomato soup I use Amy's or Progresso - Campbell's too sweet (IMO). I also like to add some basil. You can use brown rice. Red & green pepper combo is nice.
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    If you can, try substituting your ground beef with Jennie O ground turkey. It's a healthier alternative. We cook it up and throw together with rice, egg white and tomatoes. :0
  • TeaBea
    If you can, try substituting your ground beef with Jennie O ground turkey. It's a healthier alternative. We cook it up and throw together with rice, egg white and tomatoes. :0

Ground sirloin and ground round are very lean. They can be more lean than ground turkey, if you don't check labels.

Jennie O (93%) looks like one of the leaner brands.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Beef strognaff, cheeseburgers, spaghetti bake, burrito bowls, chili.
  • pittdan77
    pittdan77 Posts: 98 Member
    I do make it with taco seasoning but I use it in a huge salad. Use your favorite salsa as a dressing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Mostly I just like to grill a burger. I also like meatloaf. Pasta Bolognese (Ragu) is one of my favorites and the first thing I ever learned to cook way back in the day when I was trying to impress the ladies and get them to drop their drawers. A good chili and cornbread always hits the spot when it's cold out or I'm camping.
  • stmokomoko
    stmokomoko Posts: 98 Member
    edited February 2016
    If you can, try substituting your ground beef with Jennie O ground turkey. It's a healthier alternative.

Beef is tastier, but also, if both are 93/7:

Wg4re67.png?1
  • TeaBea
    stmokomoko wrote: »
    If you can, try substituting your ground beef with Jennie O ground turkey. It's a healthier alternative.

Hmmm.

Wg4re67.png?1

Cool!

First time I checked the stats on a package of ground turkey, it was much higher fat than ground chuck. It pays to check labels.
  • chiptease
    chiptease Posts: 70 Member
    Cheap Korean Ground Beef recipe Also, any stir fry (vegetables) + meat is always a cheap, easy meal.
  • katzenfluff
    katzenfluff Posts: 78 Member
    Cottage pie. Philly cheese steak sloppy joes. Hamburger vegetable soup.
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    It does pay to check the labels - some ground beef will be higher than others of course and sometimes more sodium as well. Ask any trainer on which is better (for losing weight) anyway. It's totally up to you based on your goals!
    sllhdtgj8xqd.jpg
  • socrmommy
    socrmommy Posts: 31 Member
    If you can, try substituting your ground beef with Jennie O ground turkey. It's a healthier alternative. We cook it up and throw together with rice, egg white and tomatoes. :

My family won't eat ground turkey and lean 94% beef is actually less calories than turkey
  • majigurl
    Seeing as I have kids to feed that are semi picky eaters, I'll prob. use ground turkey only to change it up, not to take it out completely.

Great advice though!

Loving some of these ideas! Spaghetti squash is a fav. in this house, I never though to do something with it with ground beef though! fab!

All recipes you can "lean" down.

SHEPHARD (cottage) PIE!! I forgot about this classic! I haven't made one in YEARS.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    I made baked eggplant yesterday - turned out great!

I used Skinnytaste's Baked Ziti with Spinach (the kids got the pasta version lol) and instead of pasta, used chopped eggplant for mine. I was using a fattier ground beef (since it was on sale) and I really didn't want the extra grease for any of us. So, after cooking the ground beef, I poured it out through a strainer before adding it back to the pan. I used to just tip out the pan but this turned out to be a million times easier. I've since read that some people recommend rinsing the cooked ground beef with hot water. That doesn't sound particularly tasty, so I'm unlikely to go that route.

Anyway, this turned out to be super yummy and crazy filling. I had a ton of extra calories left last night so decided to eat a double portion to up my veggie intake. 800 calories of this and an hour later I was groaning because I was so insanely full. At its core, it was ground beef, tomatoes (I ran out so had to use pasta sauce), spinach, eggplant, and small amounts of mozzarella and parmesan cheeses. It made about six ~400 cal servings.

I plan to do her spaghetti squash with ragu later this week :) She got 175 cals per serving and said it was very filling.
  • majigurl
    Oh! love that Elaine!! ty! going to go threw the rest of that site!
  • crikey_katie
    crikey_katie Posts: 136 Member
    This recipe is good, just use beef instead of turkey
    http://www.kimscravings.com/2014/06/southwestern-turkey-quinoa-skillet/
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    I only use 93% lean ground beef. I make tacos (I make taco salad and my family eats tacos), meatloaf, burgers, spaghetti with meat sauce, stuffed peppers...