I gave up sweets for a while... and I'm dying!

Options
2»

Replies

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    GsKiki wrote: »
    Don't restrict your self from any specific food.
    Your huge sweets craving is completely mental, just because you know you can't have it.
    Instead eat small portions of sweets and make sure to calculate them in your calories. Once you see that you can still eat them, but it's not really worth it packing so many calories all the time, your cravings will stop.

Good advice!
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    llbrixon wrote: »
    Sugar is addicting for sure. Good thing about giving up sodas! Replace your sugar cravings with a nice crisp Apple until the sugar quits calling your name

Um. Fruit contains sugar.

"It's 4pm of my first day and I just want chocolate or candy or soda so badly. I feel like there needs to be a support group for people who can't stop eating sweets. SEA? Sugar Eaters Anonymous?"

OP is having problems limiting baked goods, soda and candies which pack many more calories and have minimal nutritional benefit as opposed to eating an apple. "Even though both foods contain fructose, fruit is obviously a healthier choice because it's not solely made up of simple carbohydrates -- it also contains fiber, vitamins and antioxidants. The fiber in fruit helps slow the digestion of carbs, which is why your blood sugar doesn't spike as much after eating fiber-filled fruit like it does when you gulp down a soda or candy bar." http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/carbs/simple-vs-complex-carbohydrates.html

If OP is truly a sugar addict, wouldn't replacing the addictive substance with something completely different (like beef jerky) make more sense, to break the addiction? Substituting one variant of the addictive substance for another (apples instead of chocolate) makes zero sense if the OP is truly addicted to sugar.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    llbrixon wrote: »
    Sugar is addicting for sure. Good thing about giving up sodas! Replace your sugar cravings with a nice crisp Apple until the sugar quits calling your name

Um. Fruit contains sugar.

"It's 4pm of my first day and I just want chocolate or candy or soda so badly. I feel like there needs to be a support group for people who can't stop eating sweets. SEA? Sugar Eaters Anonymous?"

OP is having problems limiting baked goods, soda and candies which pack many more calories and have minimal nutritional benefit as opposed to eating an apple. "Even though both foods contain fructose, fruit is obviously a healthier choice because it's not solely made up of simple carbohydrates -- it also contains fiber, vitamins and antioxidants. The fiber in fruit helps slow the digestion of carbs, which is why your blood sugar doesn't spike as much after eating fiber-filled fruit like it does when you gulp down a soda or candy bar." http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/carbs/simple-vs-complex-carbohydrates.html

If OP is truly a sugar addict, wouldn't replacing the addictive substance with something completely different (like beef jerky) make more sense, to break the addiction? Substituting one variant of the addictive substance for another (apples instead of chocolate) makes zero sense if the OP is truly addicted to sugar.

Good point, but perhaps it's not the sugar. I'm guessing it's psychological anyway. I agree with your jerky substitution...I prefer my husbands elk jerky. I'd much rather have that than sweets. Another addiction, I guess.