Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Eat to Perform Carb Discussion

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Killing the Diet Industry-Dieting Your Way To Obesity (ch4)
    ReleasedFeb 20, 2016

In this chapter we walk you guys through why dieting is causing the current obesity epidemic and how that wasn't the case even a short while ago and we provide you with studies that
    Sounds like starvation mode. Ain't nobody got time for an hour long podcast on starvation mode.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    I think their deal is that it's better to eat close to maintenance and recomp vs. cut too low unless you have a lot to lose, and that people are often too scared of carbs and that carbs, instead, can be helpful in fueling workouts if you are very active (comes somewhat out of a crossfit background with lots of former paleo/clean eaters).

I don't disagree with that bit, but the focus on nutrition timing seems unlikely to be worth the bother for the average person.

Don't know how one diets their way to obesity -- hope it's not starvation mode.
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    edited February 2016
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think their deal is that it's better to eat close to maintenance and recomp vs. cut too low unless you have a lot to lose, and that people are often too scared of carbs and that carbs, instead, can be helpful in fueling workouts if you are very active (comes somewhat out of a crossfit background with lots of former paleo/clean eaters).

I don't disagree with that bit, but the focus on nutrition timing seems unlikely to be worth the bother for the average person.

Don't know how one diets their way to obesity -- hope it's not starvation mode.

I agree that the nutrition timing isn't worth it for the average, healthy person, but to someone with a condition, such as DM or reactive hypoglycemia, it could be useful to keep a watch on timing of certain things, like carbohydrates, to continue my example.

Dieting to obesity is a psychological/instinctual thing. We fear deprivation so we get on a cycle of restricting (for our health/looks) and then binging (on things we considered forbidden or just taking in more in general) which only ends up making things worse. Then we feel guilty and perhaps that's when emotional eating arises.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    For ETP the timing is about athletic performance and muscle building/recomp, not a health condition.
This discussion has been closed.