let's talk about protein shakes?

Options
There is no doubt people are drinking crazy amounts of protein shakes each day
Realistically our body can only store so much and the rest is excreted in urine, so what's the hype when if you are eating a healthy diet including the amount of protein your body can store.

What's your thoughts on this subject?

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    We don't store protein. It's used on the fly.

• SearchingforFitness
    Options
    I drink one everyday for breakfast casue I'm never hungry then
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I drink them when on a Protein Sparing Modified fast, which is a high-protein/low-carb/low-cal diet. Sometimes I can't get sufficient protein and stay under my calorie max without them. But I also eat high-quality protein in the form of skinless chicken breast.
  • emmaline101
    emmaline101 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I drink one everyday for breakfast casue I'm never hungry then

Ditto.
  • SearchingforFitness
    Options
    yay :)
  • cryptobrit
    cryptobrit Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I will use the diet ones or a protein bar only when my macros show I am low on protein for the day. Usually a day when things have gone 'skewiff' and up the wall.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    It's just a conveinient protein source. One of many ways to get enough protein. I'm not a shake fan, but I find protein powder is a wonderful way to make a variety of sweet protein treats that keep protein high while on a deficit or maintaining body fat consistency. I like to make egg white and protein powder custards, waffles, pancakes, and make a protein "ice cream" that tastes delicious while fueling my body and not making me feel the way other sugary treats would.
  • kristysaurus
    kristysaurus Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I don't eat enough protein to fit my macros so I drink one per day, usually in the afternoon. If I manage to hit my macros then I usually won't have one and will fit in another snack instead.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Protein metabolism isn't universal...it is dependent on how much muscle you have...The more you have, the more amino acids your body needs to maintain your muscle, and the more places your body can store surpluses. It depends on how active you are...the more you're moving, the more you need. It depends on your age...the older you are, the more you need to maintain your existing muscle. It also depends on your hormones. Elevated levels of growth hormone and insulin-like growth factor 1 stimulate muscle synthesis. If your body has high levels of these anabolic hormones, it will utilize protein better than someone that has low levels.

I have a whey supplement most days...I'm very active and it helps me supplement to my targets...and even then I usually don't get the 1g per Lb of LBM most days. I don't think having a whey supplement most days is "crazy amounts of protein shakes."
  • mmmpork
    mmmpork Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I make a protein shake for after I do resistance training or swim laps, it seems to help curb the weird hunger pains I get and I find I'm not as sore the next day. It also makes a great a meal replacement. I use NOW whey protein powder, my own chocolate malt mix, half a tablespoon of psyllium husk powder, vanilla bean paste, and blend with ice and 8 oz whole milk. For the chocolate malt mix, just search the web for "DIY Ovaltine" and there's a great recipe out there. I don't add any additional sweetener but there's a tiny bit of sugar in the vanilla bean paste.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    If I'm feeling a protein shake, I'll generally go with Casein as it makes you feel fuller longer. If I have the calories allotment to do so, I'll mix it with milk, and peanut butter.

Usually though, it's just straight water into the powder, shake, consume.