losing weight on weekends???

Options
I have been working out for 8 months and see a lot of great results. However I am in a huge change in my activity level. I used to work a construction job 6 days a week, and workout at the gym after my job, I saw little results during this time. I ended up quiting my job to go to school. During my work days I ate 4600 calories a day. Now that I am not working that job I'm eating 3300-3400 a day and I am now see better results than I ever have. For the past 2-3 weeks I have hit a wall of confusion. I Have never really counted calories on weekends just because I don't have time, I do a lot of sports on weekends and just eat as I'm hungry (I know I'm eating at least 2k calories a day on sat-sun). On my weekends I have been losing 2-3+lbs in 2 days. On week days, Mon-fri, I workout for about an hour, and by the end of the week on Saturday morning I will wheigh in at 1lb-1.5lbs heavier than Monday mornings wheigh inn. So i am slowly losing weight. This has never happened to me and I would like some advice on what I am doing wrong. Am I going anywhere with this weight change??? Could I be losing a lot of fat, and water weight during my activities on weekends? I used to be at 177lbs during construction, now that I quit, I'm at 173 but I am also more lean and have more muscle mass. After I quit my construction job, I got a few compliments in the gym that I got bigger, but I am also losing weight????

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's all about total calories over a week. So if you don't eat enough calories on the weekend, then you need to concentrate on high calorie foods.

But also keep in mind, that you will have weight fluctuations just like people do with weight loss. It's possible since you play sports on the weekend, that you burn through either enough glycogen, water losses from sweat or even reductions in food in your GI system.

• kingkam21
    kingkam21 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Should I be eating more on weekends? Is it possible to loose a percentage of fat in just 2 days? I am concerned about my muscle response during this process that my body takes through these two days.
  • kingkam21
    kingkam21 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    138shades wrote: »
    kingkam21 wrote: »
    Should I be eating more on weekends? Is it possible to loose a percentage of fat in just 2 days? I am concerned about my muscle response during this process that my body takes through these two days.

It doesn't matter if you eat more on the weekends....it matters if you are balanced and under the needed calories to maintain your current weight over time (Day/Week).

So if I am bellow my maintenance calories on the weekends and doing cardio, am I burning a percentage of fat in just 2 days? If I'm gaining 1lb through Mon-fri but losing 2-3+lbs on Saturday-Sunday, I am loosing more weight than gaining. I'm wondering what I am losing to drop my weight so much? I understand losing water weight from sweat during sports but I do not take creatine to loose this much water weight in just 2 days?? I am guessing that it's a combo of water and fat but I'm curious if I can lose fat in just 2 days? Which would put me in a position of bulking Mon-fri but cutting on weekends??