Trail/Cross Country Runners

Options
I went trail running Saturday. Probably one of the most exhilarating experiences, besides all the tree roots haha. The people on the trail are VERY supportive and kept telling me I was doing a great job. Anyone else do it, and does anyone have advice?

Replies

• RUN_LIFT_EAT
    RUN_LIFT_EAT Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I try to run trails exclusively! It builds strong legs as well as core and joints. No special tips except to get some shoes suited for the terrain, and just start hitting the trails regularly. Look in your area for a trail race and sign up for one. You won't want to run on asphalt ever again!
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I do it more in the summer when the evenings are light and the ground isn't so wet. In the winter I run in the dark so stick to well lit roads. It is harder to do trail rather than road, I seem to have a habit of turning my ankles over, but it's certainly a lot more scenic!
  • chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I think my ankles do better on the trails. I feel it will help with stability (core), and I don't think about the running as much because of the scenery and looking to make sure I don't die. I'm in GA, so lots of trails :)

Shoes are a must. I tried to do it in my regular running shoes and that was a mistake! Thanks guys.

Have you run a trail race? They seem scary! @RUN_LIFT_EAT @Bluepegasus
  • furmickc
    furmickc Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm a recent convert to trail running. It is exhilarating and addictive. I love it!
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Yes I have done a 10k trail race a couple of times, the time it took me to run them was longer than a normal road race. Just make sure you've had plenty of hill training!
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT
    RUN_LIFT_EAT Posts: 537 Member
    Options

Have you run a trail race? They seem scary! @RUN_LIFT_EAT @Bluepegasus

Yes! Lots! Everything from 10K to half marathon distance. They are so much more fun than street races. You can't worry about your time or pace in a trail race since no two are the same - some having more climbing than the others, or some being more technical than others.

Plus, trail races don't usually have the massive turnouts that street races do. We're talking merely hundreds vs thousands.

In a trail race you may even find yourself completely alone for sections of the trail, which is its own reward.

I've done some 40-50 races in my life, and the trail races are the ones that I remember best!