• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    Katie_Y89 wrote: »
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    My lunch salads are 450-515 calories, so I definitely log them! Just create the meal as others have suggested.

Yeah my salads are 480 cals. I always log it.

Of all raw vegetables????? I'm truly impressed. She said she logs her dressing separately.

My lunch salads range from about 325 to maybe 500 calories...but they usually include several ounces of meat and/or cheese, a full tablespoon of olive oil in the dressing, sometimes fruit or nuts or avocado or bacon or croutons...obviously all that stuff gets logged. And I, personally, log my vegetables in my salad as well, but I doubt my 11 calories of romaine and 7 calories of cucumbers and 4 calories of green peppers would send my efforts into the crapper if I didn't. I don't think anyone (including the OP) is disputing whether or not to log toppings, starchy vegetables, etc.

Exactly right. Everythng i put ON the salad, i log (dressing, cheese, meat, ect). I just haven't logged the veggies.
    Not sure how many "servings" we make because we just dump and mix it into a giant glass bowl.

Next time it's made, I will try and track the cals the best i can :)

I just added up the veggie calories in the salad I ate for lunch today. Around 150 calories.

I took 15 seconds and fussed with just my recent entries for lunch...granted I don't know what veggies you have, but it took me 700 grams of raw. non-starchy vegetables (100 ea of lettuce, spinach, mushrooms, zucchini, cucumber, onion, green pepper) to get to 150 calories. That's like over a pound and a half of salad. That's like....an eff ton of salad. Yeah, if you're eating a garbage can full of salad you should probably go ahead and weigh and log that because that's going to make a big difference. But a 25 calorie side salad for dinner isn't going to make or break the average MFP user.

Don't get me wrong - I'm fully on the side of logging the salad. I just don't think it's productive to imply that the OP is possibly consuming hundreds of calories per day that she isn't logging. She's not.

Yes, very close on the weight.

100g lettuce
    50g spinach
    100g carrots
    100g tomato
    100g cucumber
    100g celery
    50g onion

Not really a garbage can, but a bit more than a dinner side salad. Red onions and carrots are the two highest calorie per gram veggies in there, both of which the OP includes in her salad. It may not be a huge deal to you, but OP is eating 1200 calories a day (ran a quick search to verify). 50 calories of veggies is 4% of her total calorie allowance for the day. If I had that little margin for error, you can bet I'd be weighing everything, including the romaine.

Fair enough. I think that's more than just a bit more than a dinner side salad - I said in a post above that my typical lunch is a salad about 1/6th the total weight of yours and it packs a 5 cup tupperware FULL....so you've got probably 20 cups of salad there? erring on the lower side since admittedly mine is mostly lettuce - but I fully agree with you on the margin of error. Like I said, I've always been on the side of logging the salad and I log my own salads. I just still don't think most MFP users are regularly consuming 150 calories of raw vegetables in one sitting.

Though, I do know carrots probably pack a bigger punch than most vegetables - I think they're gross so I don't have a good mental picture on what a normal salad serving would be in terms of calorie count. So maybe that's my issue.

I weigh everything, so I have no idea how many cups are in there! Depends how tight you pack them, I guess. Twenty sounds about right due to the high volume lettuce and spinach. I agree, too, that most people are probably not eating that many calories in raw veggies, but this is a numbers game, so the more real data you have, the better your odds for success (I suspect that's why you log your salads).
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i had salad for lunch.

all of its logged ;) lol
  • caseylizbeth
    caseylizbeth Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I log all my fruits and vegetables, partly because it helps me track how many servings I've had that day. (Gotta get your 5+ a day!) But also because I like to track every single calorie.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I say log it.
  • veggiecanner
    veggiecanner Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    carrots are 25 calories per cup shreaded
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    carrots are 25 calories per cup shreaded

The more precise way to say this is carrots are 40 calories per 100 grams.