Terrible pain on top of hand when doing push ups

Options
Last week around Tuesday or Wednesday I was doing some push ups, and later that morning the top of my hand(the area on the top next to my thumb, and going back towards my wrist from my index finger) hurt a little. The muscles themselves feel a little sore when I bend my whole hand my moving my wrist.

I've had this happen before, but the pain goes away eventually, I just have to not do push ups for a while. The problem is that I'm in the Army and I have to do push ups often, and I have a PT test next week. It's something I can push through if I have to, but the pain is very intense if I try to do the exercise after the pain first shows up.

I know it's something I should see a doctor for, I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. I've been doing push ups for at least 3 years, and for the last 6-8 months or so I've done push ups at least three times a week. So it's not like a pain from being new to the exercise.

Today at the gym I tried to do dips off of a bench and the pain was almost unbearable. It seems to come from having my hand flat on something while having my arm meet my wrist at a 90 degree/perpendicular angle. I just don't know why this only happens sometimes and seemingly out of nowhere.

Replies