Making food for myself and meals for my family...

Options
Not sure if anyone else is in this boat or not. .. i am very focused right now on clean eating. However my husband and son are not. So dinner is 2 meals. Mine and theirs. Sometimes I find it tempting but most of the time I can do it with no problem. Any ideas on easy recipes to make them? Tips to help keep me going strong? Any one in the same boat that wold like to help motivate ? Feel free to commeht or Add me as a friend.

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Advice is going to depend upon your definition of "clean eating".

But generally (as someone who preps most of the food in our house) I'd say to the others, eat what I prepare or make your own.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    What foods are you avoiding?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Clean eating means different things to everybody who uses the term, so it doesn't really mean anything. If you want to eat better, just improve your diet. It doesn't have to be a revolution, an evolution is much easier to keep up with. Would you want to make two separate dinners every day forever? I'd suggest eating the same foods, but portion it out differently, ie, you grab more vegetables and less starch.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Drop whatever your idea of "clean eating" is.
    You need to set up your environment and your schedule in a way that maximizes your chances of success on your plan.
    Cook for the two guys mostly the same food you cook for yourself. Maybe add extra side dishes for them.
    Here is a recipe for pork chops:
    http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-perfect-pork-chops-in-the-oven-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-194257

c5a7i9ajtz81.png
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what "clean" eating means to you. In our house I'm the cook. I eat the same meals my husband and teenage sons do. I just eat smaller portions.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    But generally (as someone who preps most of the food in our house) I'd say to the others, eat what I prepare or make your own.
    I'm of this persuasion too. I make the food, either they eat it or they can make their own.

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I don't make 2 meals in my house. He eats what I make, and sometimes I'll make extra stuff and I'll only eat some of it. But I never bothered with "clean" eating. Not even sure what that is. I just eat a balance of protein, fat and carbs and enjoy my food.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I make variations of the same meals. Yesterday I made baked pasta with a meat sauce.

I cooked up the meat sauce and assembled their version with the meat sauce, pasta, and cheese. Then I threw spinach into the leftover meat sauce and chopped up eggplant. The version DH and I ate was a big pile of eggplant mixed up with the spinach and meat sauce and much less cheese.

Sometimes they get completely different meals. E.g., DH and I had a Cobb Salad and they had homemade pizza on Saturday.

Many times we also eat the same meals.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't make 2 meals in my house. He eats what I make, and sometimes I'll make extra stuff and I'll only eat some of it. But I never bothered with "clean" eating. Not even sure what that is. I just eat a balance of protein, fat and carbs and enjoy my food.

Ditto. I might just skip the pasta or rice if I don't have calories for it.

• lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    90% of the time, I am cooking two different meals, like you, one for me and one for my husband and son. The other 10% we eat the same protein. What I tend to do is batch cook for me over the weekend, portion it out and freeze it. Since I do this just about every weekend, I have a large variety to choose from. I make sure that I always have roasted vegetables and spaghetti squash on hand. Then, in the evening I only have to make their meal.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I made a chili with TVP (vegetable protein) that my husband thought was turkey. There are tons of dishes you can make that are "clean" and will satisfy the "dirty" eaters too.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    How can, if anything, fake meat ever be "clean"?

See how useless the term "clean" is regarding food?
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    How can, if anything, fake meat ever be "clean"?

See how useless the term "clean" is regarding food?

Exactly.

@casscamp There are people who can help you with this but you need to let us know what types of foods you like and what types of foods you might want to minimise or avoid.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I do all the cooking for me, my DH who loves white carbs, and my 2 picky kids. What I do is make us all the same protein but maybe different sides. So I will eat pork chops and broccoli, my DH will eat pork chops, broccoli and rice, and my kids will eat mostly rice and a little pork.

Or I'll make shrimp pasta sauce. DH will eat pasta with shrimp and tomato sauce. Kids will eat plain pasta and I'll take a few plain shrimp out before adding to sauce. I'll make a spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles for me and have the shrimp sauce with it. Can do the same thing with curry or stir fry (remove the protein before adding sauce so kids will like it better).

On the rare occasion that I make something that I can't modify for the kids, we usually have some plain rotisserie chicken that they can have with some raw veggies and ranch, and they like that as a meal just fine.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    In my house, whatever gets cooked is what both of us eat, I just eat it in smaller portions. The only time we do separate meals if I am working late (1-2 times per week). On those nights, he eats when he wants, either take out or leftovers, and I eat what I want whenever I get home. In no circumstances do we ever cook separate meals, I can't imagine that would be a sustainable way to live long-term.

One way around that though might be to meal prep all your meals on the weekends, so your dinners are already done. Then, you can still cook dinner for your family, but you already have your meal that just needs to be heated up (as opposed to actually cooking 2 separate meals from scratch every night).
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    I made a chili with TVP (vegetable protein) that my husband thought was turkey. There are tons of dishes you can make that are "clean" and will satisfy the "dirty" eaters too.

This is the opposite of what I would consider clean. Replacing somethign natural wth something artificial?
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I have little bags of boiled chicken ( 3oz ) and have what vegies i like cut up so my meal takes me only minutes to make. My husband likes his food fried in lard and lard in his beans. I dont use any oil in my food So I just make most things different and it works.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    we all eat the same food in this house (except my son as he has sensory issues)

i just eat less.

why make more work for yourself?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Clean eating means different things to everybody who uses the term, so it doesn't really mean anything. If you want to eat better, just improve your diet. It doesn't have to be a revolution, an evolution is much easier to keep up with. Would you want to make two separate dinners every day forever? I'd suggest eating the same foods, but portion it out differently, ie, you grab more vegetables and less starch.

This.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I am of the same mind as most other posters - I do not run a diner - you eat what I make or you make your own.