This is completely new to me. Started my journey 3 weeks ago...

Options
Hello everyone!

I just started 10 days ago. This is the first time I've ever weighed and measured my food and later on will incorporate exercise. I'm 36, 5'6" and currently at 160lbs. For the past 4 years, I have slowly gained 30-40lbs due to drinking more alcoholic beverages and eating too much fatty, sugary, salty foods.

I became less active after moving to another state because of lack of friends that go hiking, mountain biking, racquetball, etc...

The only way I felt I could find relief the past 4 years was cooking and I did not care 1 iota of what I put in my food, just so long as it tasted good.

and when I ate, I ate enough for 3 people.

My diary will always be open. Hopefully, in time, I will come to know and communicate with members of this community who I know are knowledgeable and gain much insight and to change my ways accordingly.

Please feel free to offer your criticisms and advice.

Also; 3 weeks ago I actually started my journey. I weighed 174lbs before going on a water and veg/fruit juice fast. The fast lasted 5 days and I dropped from 174 to 165lbs due to water weight. I then started my journey here at 165lbs.

Cheers to everyone and I am happy to be here. This seems like a good community to hang in. =)

Replies

• skmaynard34
    skmaynard34 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Your story sounds so much like mine. I've actually gained 15 pounds over the last few years and have gone from 150 to 165 pounds and I'm looking to get down to at least 155. I'm 5'6", 39 and have juggled this weight since a few months after the birth of my second child almost 2 years ago. I can't even blame it on having 2 children because I actually lost all of my baby weight a few weeks after having each of them
  • Scissorhands29
    Scissorhands29 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been on here before and had much success. But when I let life get in the way and I left MFP, I gained another 10-15lbs. Time to get things under control. We can do this :)
  • poteatkd
    poteatkd Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    What's amazed me is that as long as I eat nutrient rich food and stay under my calories, I feel full. For me, if I don't incorporate oatmeal in the morning, I get hungry.

So much to learn....so much to learn...

I do want to start incorporating protein shakes into my diet. Trying to reach my protein level is difficult for me; so much meat and dairy it seems on a daily basis, and while I do periodically add nuts to my diary every so often, I get protein there. However, the calorie content is sky high on such little servings and I end up getting hungry through the day.

open for protein shake suggestions. In my research it seems soy protein powders are one of the healthier ways to get your protein, however I am allergic to soy milk and am a little afraid to try it.

Whey protein protein seems to be the 2nd overall favorite, but I still need input to make the wisest decision in regards to type of protein powders and brands.