Strength training?

Options
I've been reading that I should be doing strength training along with my cardio but I don't know how! Lol. I'm a mail carrier so I'm used to walking and I love walking. I hurt my wrist a few months ago and have been out of work since October. I decided to lose some weight about a month ago so I walk on the treadmill every morning, I pick a movie to watch and walk until it's over with an alternating incline at a speed as fast as I can. Then at night I take my dogs for a half hour run. Apparently that's not enough

Replies

• bruhaha007
    bruhaha007 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I strength train 4 days a week. Feel free to add me and I can provide some tips. I do think your wrist injury will make it a bit challenging for upper body but you can always start with lower body and find a few upper body exercises that avoid hurting your wrist further.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Go check out stronglifts.com. It is an awesome program! There are only 5 lifts and there are videos that show you how to do them. You do the program 3X a week, leaving plenty of time for cardio. You can also download the app for free to your phone. It will keep track of your progress for you so you don't have to remember what to do.

I love, love, love lifting and have had some fabulous results! Good luck!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Strength/resistance training will help you preserve more lean muscle mass while eating at a deficit. Swap out some of your cardio for this.

You can start with body weight exercises. Google You Are Your Own Gym.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF5-uMJD8uw
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    You can also look at Mike Matthews book Thinner, Leaner, Stronger. It's a great program paired with one he has for men also. It's not magic, just good common sense.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Go check out stronglifts.com. It is an awesome program! There are only 5 lifts and there are videos that show you how to do them. You do the program 3X a week, leaving plenty of time for cardio. You can also download the app for free to your phone. It will keep track of your progress for you so you don't have to remember what to do.

TeaBea wrote: »
    Strength/resistance training will help you preserve more lean muscle mass while eating at a deficit. Swap out some of your cardio for this.

OP has a wrist injury. having experience of both of these programs I can say that it is unlikely that they will be suitable.

@hanoge - check with your Doctor about how much and what type of exercise you can do with your wrist but in the meantime I'd go with @bruhaha007 s advice/offer.

Note - although highly recommended, strength training is not essential to weight loss. Do not embark upon anything that is going to hinder recovery of your wrist. Let that heal fully first.
  • EricaABarnes
    EricaABarnes Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Awesome I'll take a look at it thank you!!

I can't really swap out my cardio because I should actually be doing more so that I don't die when I go back to work lol. In a normal work day I walk at least 12 miles, but right now I'm home all day long so I'm sure I can find time. It'll be a good excuse to clean or nap less.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com has a lot of different programs, and how to videos. A structured program will be best for you, but you'll get lots of different opinions on what program to do.

When looking at a program the most important thing is that it works all the different muscle groups. A program that utilizes compound lifts like bench, deadlift, squats are usually best but depending on what equipment you have access to you don't have to do these lifts.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    hanoge wrote: »

Awesome I'll take a look at it thank you!!

I can't really swap out my cardio because I should actually be doing more so that I don't die when I go back to work lol. In a normal work day I walk at least 12 miles, but right now I'm home all day long so I'm sure I can find time. It'll be a good excuse to clean or nap less.

Good point - you need to stay ready for work.
  • EricaABarnes
    EricaABarnes Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    OP has a wrist injury. having experience of both of these programs I can say that it is unlikely that they will be suitable.

@hanoge - check with your Doctor about how much and what type of exercise you can do with your wrist but in the meantime I'd go with @bruhaha007 s advice/offer.

Note - although highly recommended, strength training is not essential to weight loss. Do not embark upon anything that is going to hinder recovery of your wrist. Let that heal fully first.

Oh good idea I didn't even think about asking my doctor about it. I start physical therapy Friday and have an MRI coming up soon so hopefully it gets better quickly.