How to quit drinking pop

Options

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Step 1: Put down the glass of pop.

Step 2: Don't pick up any more pop.

Though if it fits into your goals and you drink it in moderation, I don't see the harm. Or switch to diet. I'm drinking a Diet Cherry Pepsi right now and it is tasty.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

Though if it fits into your goals and you drink it in moderation, I don't see the harm. Or switch to diet. I'm drinking a Diet Cherry Pepsi right now and it is tasty.

Diet...tasty...does not compute.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    another La Croix lover here. bubbly water is the way to go if your caffeine is accompanied by a fizz
  • MegE_N
    MegE_N Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Seltzer. We have a soda stream and drink almost exclusively seltzer. Nice refreshing bubbles with no calories!
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Don't buy it....if it's not in your house, you can't drink it. I only drink diet soda when I'm @ a restaurant. Any other time, it's water (which is a lot cheaper, too - nice perk)!
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    don't buy it.. deal with the " omg I need one!!! right now !! " cravings.. it's hard. I did this last year.. you just set your mind to NO MORE! and go.
    drink water..
    workout
    do anything.. just don't have it in the house, you can't drink what isn't there.

There is no easy way. you put the hard work in not drinking it and you end up no longer drinking it.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    Do some reading about what else it can be used for around the house. Cured me. And soda is one of those foods/drinks that - once I'm away from it for a while (pregnancy, for instance) - tastes vile to me. Good luck! (Lots of water!)

Most of those are "uses" are either fake (I would not recommend pouring soda on your car battery), can be replicated using other scary sounding chemicals like water, or work because of individual ingredients that you wouldn't think twice about consuming in other forms.

And yet - if it stops you from drinking those sugary drinks, the fake uses might be worth believing ...
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

I drink diet soda so I have room for good beer. It is a compromise I'm more than willing to make.

:lol:
  • RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is what got me off it. Good news is I totally lost my taste for regular pop. Now it tastes so over-sweet to me it has no appeal. Diet pop isn't the greatest thing in the world for you either but I only drink 4 or 5 per week.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    Do some reading about what else it can be used for around the house. Cured me. And soda is one of those foods/drinks that - once I'm away from it for a while (pregnancy, for instance) - tastes vile to me. Good luck! (Lots of water!)

Most of those are "uses" are either fake (I would not recommend pouring soda on your car battery), can be replicated using other scary sounding chemicals like water, or work because of individual ingredients that you wouldn't think twice about consuming in other forms.

And yet - if it stops you from drinking those sugary drinks, the fake uses might be worth believing ...

I found that gaining an understanding about calorie management, macros, and nutrition actually led to the realization that I don't need to stop drinking those sugary drinks, just less of them.
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is what got me off it. Good news is I totally lost my taste for regular pop. Now it tastes so over-sweet to me it has no appeal. Diet pop isn't the greatest thing in the world for you either but I only drink 4 or 5 per week.

I can't drink coke anymore. I was drinking 1-2 cans a day. I can't even take a sip. If I do drink a pop now and then, (always logged though) it's Canada dry or a clear pop.
    it's so syrup tasting now I have no idea how I ever drank it!

• 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    cherry coke zero isn't bad, and diet cherry pepsi is okay. there are many different kinds of flavor "sticks" that you can add to plain water, including the marvelous raspberry lemonade + caffeine from wal-mart, the 4c energy line, iced coffee with a packet of splenda (or black, if you're down with that). feel free to riffle through my public diary to see how I get my drink on without a ton of calories, or with when I want to.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options

I found that gaining an understanding about calorie management, macros, and nutrition actually led to the realization that I don't need to stop drinking those sugary drinks, just less of them.

Yep - this is the right approach. I was half joking. I do not enjoy soda any longer, so I don't drink it. But taking an extreme approach to cutting foods/drinks out that we actually love can make us unhappy and ultimately unsuccessful. :)
  • Lucy1752
    Lucy1752 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I went "cold turkey" and dealt with the caffeine and aspartame residue headaches for about 3 days, but feel good about it. I was drinking a great deal of Diet Coke and without it my stomach feels better, my mouth is not sore, I'm not dependent on a chemical stimuli to wake up everyday and I just feel better overall.
    I have had 2 or 3 sodas in the past month, but nothing to make me go off the wagon and back to drinking it all day everyday like I did in the past.
  • tincanonastring
    Options

Yep - this is the right approach. I was half joking. I do not enjoy soda any longer, so I don't drink it. But taking an extreme approach to cutting foods/drinks out that we actually love can make us unhappy and ultimately unsuccessful. :)

BAM! Solid point is solid!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    Lucy1771 wrote: »
    I went "cold turkey" and dealt with the caffeine and aspartame residue headaches for about 3 days, but feel good about it. I was drinking a great deal of Diet Coke and without it my stomach feels better, my mouth is not sore, I'm not dependent on a chemical stimuli to wake up everyday and I just feel better overall.
    I have had 2 or 3 sodas in the past month, but nothing to make me go off the wagon and back to drinking it all day everyday like I did in the past.

I bolded the two points in your post that contradict one another.

It seems that you are actually practicing moderation, which is fine and is a great approach. I just wanted to point that out.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

+ 1
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Chenry18 wrote: »
    Have you ever tried Spark? It has caffeine but it's also sugar free and has 26 vitamins. It's what I drank to help me stop drinking pop! I'd be happy to mail you a sample.

You mean the Advocare, multi-level marketing Spark?
  • mfpgal14
    mfpgal14 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 2-3 regular Coke cans everyday. I was obsessed! When I decided to start working out I didn't notice a difference until I cut the pop out and replaced it with water. The first few days were the hardest but just tell yourself to keep on going and that it's not worth it. Try to cut up some strawberries or lemons and put it in your water!
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

I drink diet soda so I have room for good beer. It is a compromise I'm more than willing to make.

:lol:
    Been drinking diet pop since the early 80's......started with TAB. I am still alive.