Biggest Loser

I just watched all of season 14 on youtube in three days (last few days of vacation!)

I have to say that I am super inspired by the results the contestants get on that show. I want to do something similar. I realize this goes against the TDEE - 20% ethos on this board, but working out more and eating less makes me feel super productive. I don't like eating a lot, my portions are only slightly larger than normal and really only struggle with sweets. Chocolate is why I'm overweight, and having a 2000 cal allotment makes me feel like I can spend 500 cals on a 100 gm chocolate bar.

The contestants eat 1200 calories per day and work out for 6 hours.

I will aim for 1200 and assume it is 1300 ish because living in Hong Kong, the calories are not on everything. If I buy a food scale I would probably just aim for 1300.

I already walk 1 hour per day. I will add 50 minutes of jogging on the treadmill and 30 minutes of swimming laps.

I will see where this plan takes me in three months and update this thread with progress pictures.

The biggest loser can make people acidotic, which caused one contestant (Jackson) to throw up. The throwing up is due to excess ketones which are released due to the major diet and exercise changes. The ketones can damage kidneys if one is not properly hydrated. I am closely medically supervised so if anyone wants to do what I'm doing, please talk to your doctor first.

Replies

• sixibabey
    sixibabey Posts: 80 Member
    i would exercise 6 hrs a day but i have a life
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    other things to know about The Biggest Loser:
    •their "week" is usually two weeks. so, those people aren't actually seeing those results in 7 days as implied.
    •the contestants are told to stop drinking any liquids and eating the day before a weigh in so that they will be dehydrated, empty, and weigh less, it is not an accurate measurement.
    •on the only episode I ever watched, the "challenge" was to binge and eat more calories than anyone else, and the "winner" would get a 2 pound advantage at the next weight in... uhhh WHAT THE EFFF?!?! a binge challenge? yeah, that's a great idea for people with an eating disorder.
    •the contestants work out against Drs orders when injured, and the show is edited to make them look lazy and not really injured, even when the staff Drs are telling them to take it easy
    •those people are not only eating a super restrictive diet, they are exercising more than any normal person can possibly maintain, except for pro athletes. exercise, for the weeks they are at the ranch, is their full time job.

for more on how this show is a most UNREALISTIC "reality" show about weight loss, here's an interview with a past contestant.
    http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/

ETA: the throwing up you talk about? sorry no, no one should have to work out to the point of puking to lose weight. I'm down 100 pounds in a year, and I didn't have to throw up to get here.