How can I excerpts eyitayo loose weight without gaining muscle

Options

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Kelechi98 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    1. How close are you to normal weight now?
    2. Have you bought a food scale and started diarizing your food? That's step one.
    3. Eat to the recommended calories on MFP and you will lose weight.
    4. Exercise is good for health and energy but doesn't directly help you lose weight. A twenty minute cardio workout earns you about one cookie. Do exercise that you enjoy. Anything.

My BMI is 16.8. But don't let that deceive you. I have like flabby thighs, which is what I'm trying to loose.

If your BMI is that low, the way to lose flabby thighs is by heavy weight work. Muscle isn't flabby; it's what gives you sexy looking legs.
  • Kelechi98
    Kelechi98 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    2. Have you bought a food scale and started diarizing your food? That's step one.
    4. Exercise is good for health and energy but doesn't directly help you lose weight. A twenty minute cardio workout earns you about one cookie. Do exercise that you enjoy. Anything.

Oh wow! So exercise is just for strength? So I just literally have to not eat, to loose weight..

Oh for goodness sake, no one is going to tell you to not eat, and if you think that is the proper way to do it, you are woefully uneducated. Not eating is a good way to get sick and die.

I know that can't be the right way, which is why it's surprising .

• Kelechi98
    Options

My BMI is 16.8. But don't let that deceive you. I have like flabby thighs, which is what I'm trying to loose.

How old are you? Just so I know whether to tell you to speak to an adult, or a professional.

• Kelechi98
    Options

How old are you? Just so I know whether to tell you to speak to an adult, or a professional.

I haven't really started anything yet. I'm just researching
  • Kelechi98
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »

If your BMI is that low, the way to lose flabby thighs is by heavy weight work. Muscle isn't flabby; it's what gives you sexy looking legs.

Do you know some workouts? I'm particularly good at cardio though
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »

Do you know some workouts? I'm particularly good at cardio though

Cardio and weight loss won't do a thing for your legs, especially with a BMI of 16.8. The only way you're going to get a tighter body is by weight training and eating at a caloric surplus. You're going to have to gain a bit of fat with muscle though. Then after gaining some muscle you can cut again to reveal it. The only other way is liposuction and I'm not recommending that. Looking into The New Rules of Lifting for Women or Starting Strength.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    If your BMI is 16.8, it would take a really long, hard time to look thick with muscle. So go on and eat and lift and you'll get some muscle tone that you are looking for. Enjoy!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    If your BMI is 16.8, it would take a really long, hard time to look thick with muscle. So go on and eat and lift and you'll get some muscle tone that you are looking for. Enjoy!

OP thinks that loosing weight is going to get rid of the flabbiness. So I am not sure if there is a need to introduce weight training and encourage a calorie surplus to build up the legs, or send him to the high school coach for sprints and stadium run ups for cardio.

• Kelechi98
    Options

I'm not trying to get thick with muscle. I want to be like toned

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

You realise 'toned' is muscle, right? you can't 'tone' fat or bones. No muscle = skin + bones and that can = 'flab' which is just loose skin with nothing underneath. You have to work bloody hard to get 'thick'. It doesn't just happen.
  • Kelechi98
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »

OP thinks that loosing weight is going to get rid of the flabbiness. So I am not sure if there is a need to introduce weight training and encourage a calorie surplus to build up the legs, or send him to the high school coach for sprints and stadium run ups for cardio.

OP is a girl
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options

You are working with the misconception that lifting weights will make you thick with muscle--like a professional bodybuilder. Women just don't get that level of muscle development without extreme dedication and, for many, chemical supplementation.

With such a low bmi, your problem is not your weight. Losing more weight will not give you the look you want & will push you even farther into the underweight zone which has it's own health problems. You need to eat more calories than you use each day. MFP will calculate that for you. While you are eating more, you need to start a progressive strength training program like Stronglift 5x5, New Rules of Lifting for Women, or Starting Strength. You will gain both muscle (which you want) and fat. Once you get comfortably into the "normal" bmi range, you can change your calorie goals to lose 0.5 lbs a week & begin eating slightly less than you use each day. You will lose some of the fat that is covering your new, tighter ("toned") body.

To see many examples, take a look at this thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky/p1

It's really long, but even if you look only at the original poster, you will see that she does not look at all thick with muscle. There are many examples on that thread of women who lift weights and got heavier, but actually look thinner and fit into smaller clothes because they replaced fat with muscle.

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    OP needs to understand that it is the lack of muscle mass causing the misperception of flabby legs.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    OP needs to understand that it is the lack of muscle mass causing the misperception of flabby legs.

Maybe we could start with the fact that fat doesn't turn into muscle and go from there. :)
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options

You realise 'toned' is muscle, right? you can't 'tone' fat or bones. No muscle = skin + bones and that can = 'flab' which is just loose skin with nothing underneath. You have to work bloody hard to get 'thick'. It doesn't just happen.

Yeah, that's where I was going with it, too.

OP, weight lifting acts on a bit of a continuum. It's the quickest way to turn under-used (flabby) muscles into firm muscles at their same size. It's way later on that they could get bigger (at your BMI).

If firm is what you are looking for (and I use 'flabby' to describe my unfirm muscles as well :) ), then weights give you the quickest route to fixing that.

And then eating more is just because your BMI is low and you don't need to eat so little. If you use weights while you eat well, it goes to the muscles very nice and prettily (especially at a BMI like yours). Much later on is where bigger things start happening, and that takes a looong while. You'll not have to lift until you can do 400 lbs or anything ;) Just start it for a while and you'll see quickly what I mean. Promise!
  • amyk0202
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Maybe we could start with the fact that fat doesn't turn into muscle and go from there. :)

OP is extremely young & likely has not been educated at all about fitness & nutrition, but she has probably been flooded with flat out wrong information nearly everywhere--magazines, tv, & the internet.
  • Kelechi98
    Options
    amyk0202 wrote: »

You are working with the misconception that lifting weights will make you thick with muscle--like a professional bodybuilder. Women just don't get that level of muscle development without extreme dedication and, for many, chemical supplementation.

With such a low bmi, your problem is not your weight. Losing more weight will not give you the look you want & will push you even farther into the underweight zone which has it's own health problems. You need to eat more calories than you use each day. MFP will calculate that for you. While you are eating more, you need to start a progressive strength training program like Stronglift 5x5, New Rules of Lifting for Women, or Starting Strength. You will gain both muscle (which you want) and fat. Once you get comfortably into the "normal" bmi range, you can change your calorie goals to lose 0.5 lbs a week & begin eating slightly less than you use each day. You will lose some of the fat that is covering your new, tighter ("toned") body.

To see many examples, take a look at this thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky/p1

It's really long, but even if you look only at the original poster, you will see that she does not look at all thick with muscle. There are many examples on that thread of women who lift weights and got heavier, but actually look thinner and fit into smaller clothes because they replaced fat with muscle.

OP, weight lifting acts on a bit of a continuum. It's the quickest way to turn under-used (flabby) muscles into firm muscles at their same size. It's way later on that they could get bigger (at your BMI).

If firm is what you are looking for (and I use 'flabby' to describe my unfirm muscles as well :) ), then weights give you the quickest route to fixing that.

And then eating more is just because your BMI is low and you don't need to eat so little. If you use weights while you eat well, it goes to the muscles very nice and prettily (especially at a BMI like yours). Much later on is where bigger things start happening, and that takes a looong while. You'll not have to lift until you can do 400 lbs or anything ;) Just start it for a while and you'll see quickly what I mean. Promise!

Thanks Thanks! I understand.
  • Kelechi98
    Options

amyk0202 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »

OP is extremely young & likely has not been educated at all about fitness & nutrition, but she has probably been flooded with flat out wrong information nearly everywhere--magazines, tv, & the internet.

How do I get access to the lifting fitness plan?
  • Kelechi98
    Options
    Also, I can tell that there is fat and just not muscle cause when I squeeze my skin together, I can see like the fat stuff
  • amyk0202
    Options
    I have been researching Stronglifts 5x5. It is a free program. You can find out more information at http://stronglifts.com/ or there is a Stronglifts for Women group here on MFP: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/560459/stronglifts-5x5-summary/p1

The New Rules of Lifting for Women is a book. You can get it online http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Women-Goddess/dp/1583333398/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1456286642&sr=8-1 or probably at the library.

Starting Strength is a book as well. You can find out more about the program here: http://startingstrength.com/site/about .