Hashimoto's

Options
2»

Replies

• serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    My mom had hashimotos and I am not officially diagnosed but have most of the symptoms. We've both found that going without grains, dairy and sugar greatly reduce symptoms. It's possibly a leaky gut issue and something we're working on healing but flare ups are debilitating if we eat those things. Neither of us are celiac either. I think it just depends on the individual how your body responds and a simple elimination diet can tell you what you might benefit from avoiding. Autoimmune diseases frequently go hand in hand with food intolerance and inflammation.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    My mom had hashimotos and I am not officially diagnosed but have most of the symptoms. We've both found that going without grains, dairy and sugar greatly reduce symptoms. It's possibly a leaky gut issue and something we're working on healing but flare ups are debilitating if we eat those things. Neither of us are celiac either. I think it just depends on the individual how your body responds and a simple elimination diet can tell you what you might benefit from avoiding. Autoimmune diseases frequently go hand in hand with food intolerance and inflammation.

Leaky gut isn't a real thing. It's not recognized by the medical community. :)
  • janatews916
    janatews916 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Leaky gut may or may not be real. But food allergies and intolerances most definitely are. And it's fact that Hashimoto's patients are at a much higher risk of having and allergy or intolerance to gluten. So in my opinion if you have Hashi's, it's worth at least trying it and seeing how you feel.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's and 4 other metabolic diseases. I have lost/maintained 90+ pounds.

I eat a moderate carb diet and move a LOT. Of course it is harder when you have medical challenges, but it is certainly doable.
  • newjeans140
    newjeans140 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks all.....I don't plan on buying gluten free much because of cost and everything you all have said about it. I agree with the marketing scam. I hope to go naturally gluten free like you saratobin_. I realize that it is not imperitive, like with celiac, but there is a definate link between gluten and Hashi as far as sensitivity and i am sure from reading, that not everyone will have the sensitivity...just like thyroid issues in general, it is very independent of the person and their health. I will give it a try, not much to lose but weight.