This...this has been an adventure.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    This thread was...mildly entertaining.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I have to confess, I just went to walk a few blocks, and just kept cracking up thinking about this thread. It inexplicably reminds me of the Monty Python "Spam" skit--must be all the screaming and the vikings showing up. :p
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    So if we're using the logic that heating increases calories - why would it ONLY apply to blueberries? I'm so confused.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Lov3lif3 wrote: »
    jenelh wrote: »
    ...And the most pointless thread of the day award goes to... "Heating Blueberries"!! Narrowly beating out "Yum or Yuck" for the win!!

It was never pointless.. but unfortunately there are some silly people on here whom feel they are better than others.. whereas those really do need to get a life. If you feel it's pointless don't reply!

The award goes to those "Pathetic replies".

If you reread your original post maybe you will see how it was less than clear? Then you can stop being mad at those who misunderstood it. We will be one small step closer to universal love and harmony.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    I really love zero yogurt and got blueberries. I am wondering now I am counting calories, would I need to add extra calories? I only hear them for 30 seconds in the microwave so they are oosing - then add 2 big spoons of zero yogurt. Good heaven!

No. You do not need to add extra calories.

/end thread

THAT'S NOT WHAT YARWELL SAID SO PLEASE TO JOG ON

Yarwell's just another word for nothing left to lose.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    So if we're using the logic that heating increases calories - why would it ONLY apply to blueberries? I'm so confused.

It would technically alter calorie content of all heated food, though to the extent that it would matter, it wouldn't even be calories "in" per se, it would alter your calories out because potentially the heat of the food represents heat your body doesn't have to make for itself. Therefore if the food is hotter than your body temperature and you eat it while living outside in a climate hotter than body temperature, they suddenly are the mystical negative calories Dr. Oz wants to find as your body will need to spend extra energy cooling itself.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    And hot water has more calories than cold water.
  • senecarr
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »
    Wow.

This...this has been an adventure.

Hold stalward one, your quest is not done.
    If you choose to enter combat the calorics via an insulin hypothesis, turn to page 20.
    If you wish to ignore this insignificant amount of heat as built into part of your BMR, turn to page 30.
    If in a previous quest, you infiltrated the Lustig cult and still have your "calorie is not a calorie" youtube video URL bookmark, you may recycle it now and gain one roll on the random encounter table, if you survive the combat, turn to page 73.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

Twice as many.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Twice as many.

That reminds me - it's time for our annual salary review for posting on MFP.

The powers that be have decided to double all of our salaries this year.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I was told that any fruit which has been heated will release sugsrs making it more calorific, hence the question.

Nope, that's nonsense that has no scientific backing.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Twice as many.

But seriously, the argument for there being more calories in heated blueberries is the heat energy.

Using that logic, wouldn't we expect hot water to also have this heat energy?

I bet @yarwell has the answer.
  • senecarr
    Options

Twice as many.

But seriously, the argument for there being more calories in heated blueberries is the heat energy.

I also want to know if food that is eaten higher off the ground has more calories because it has more potential energy. What is the dietary ground state? Can I eat below sea level for negative calories?
    I expect @yarwell to come back into the thread in full force, which means I'll be measuring him in Newtons.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Twice as many.

I also want to know if food that is eaten higher off the ground has more calories because it has more potential energy. What is the dietary ground state? Can I eat below sea level for negative calories?
    I expect @yarwell to come back into the thread in full force, which means I'll be measuring him in Newtons.

"Dietary ground state" got a good nerdy giggle out of me.
  • senecarr
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »

Twice as many.

"Dietary ground state" got a good nerdy giggle out of me.

You need to know these things. If you go to eat food without knowing the ground state, the results could be shocking. B)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    I really love zero yogurt and got blueberries. I am wondering now I am counting calories, would I need to add extra calories? I only hear them for 30 seconds in the microwave so they are oosing - then add 2 big spoons of zero yogurt. Good heaven!

No. You do not need to add extra calories.

/end thread

THAT'S NOT WHAT YARWELL SAID SO PLEASE TO JOG ON

Yarwell's just another word for nothing left to lose.

Nothin' and that's all that berries left me. :)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    TIL that heating food up makes it into a mini-reactor and it can create energy which did not previously exist in said food. Fascinating. I love science.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Twice as many.

That reminds me - it's time for our annual salary review for posting on MFP.

The powers that be have decided to double all of our salaries this year.

Score! I'll take my payment in Oreos.