Weight lifting for bad backs

Options
A while back I was in a wreck and ever since then my lower trapezius muscle (the big triangular muscle that goes from your neck down to your middle back) has been in quite a sorry state-chiropractor visits have yielded no results and they said that my spine isn't in bad shape-so they suggested physiotherapy. I am trying to think of strength/weight exercises I could do in order to strengthen this muscle but not make me hunch over crippled for days afterwards. I am not the worlds most enthusiastic lifter-more of s runner and cardio guy but I welcome suggestions!!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Why not see a physiotherapist. Following generic advice that's not based on an assessment could make your situation worse.

What exactly are your symptoms? And when do they occur the most?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I think you'd get better advice from a physio, but what about gently working that muscle, starting off with low weights and gradually working up to higher weights over time?

You might find this helpful: https://www.t-nation.com/training/top-priority-for-lower-traps
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I am a runner but enjoy doing Nautilus for adding some strength to muscles I don't use much. I like the range of motion Nautilus has. I has really helped my back & neck. I don't go crazy on the weight and start real low and gradually work up. The gym is on my running route so I can do three miles and then a set with a mile and a half finish run.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    You are going to want to get a really good assessment about all the scapular muscles. I have a very bad back problem that involves the trapezius and rhomboids, and it causes a big imbalance between parts.

I do strengthen my lower traps and am having great success, but you need to know whether those on you are weak or rather painful because they are spasming from overwork. My upper traps spasm and are "too strong" and the lowers really are too weak. It causes awful scapular symptoms after a while. There is a fine balance in the muscles that move the scaps, so find out exactly where you stand by having a good physio check out exactly which are the weak parts.

But I do have a nice list of lifts for the lower traps, yeah. Rhomboids, too :) I isolate them as much as possible because my crazy upper traps will inevitably take over if I don't. I'll post them later for info you can tuck away (and others can critique), but don't do them yet. Physio first!