You know that person that you can't even stand the sight of?

Options
amg_89
amg_89 Posts: 184
Well I'm sitting in my Art History class right now...I know, I'm a terrible student. But anyway, there is this guy in my class who was also in my art education class, who is also in my drawing class, who was also in my printmaking class--HE'S EVERYWHERE. And he thinks he's just the greatest thing since ice cream...and ice cream is like, the greatest thing ever. Within the first 15 minutes of meeting him I had heard all about his sweet road trips across the country, his short stint of living in L.A., and his extraordinarily vast knowledge of the art world. After having him in Art Ed and Printmaking I thought it was over. I thought I wouldn't have to hear about his awesome life and his awesome art (which really isn't that good). Then summer classes come along--he's in both of mine, hooray (note sarcasm). Within the first 5 minutes of seeing him again I heard about his awesome printmaking studio that he built in his apartment and his super cool video blog he's starting.

SHUTUP DUDE! NO ONE ASKED YOU ABOUT ANYTHING IN YOUR LIFE!

Can anyone relate to me or am I a terrible person?

Replies

• riannenrings
    riannenrings Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    LOL i can. when i was in school i had the same thing. some people just want to hear themselves talk.
    maybe you could finish one of his own stories for him sometime, one that youve heard a million times, and plant a little seed of embarrassment! give a wink after.

;)

Dana
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Its really funny that you mention this cause just this morning I was talking with some of the girls I coach about how theres ALWAYS that one person in EVERY class that will not shutup, they ask a thousand questions, they have conversations with the teacher and they think they are sooo funny, they have a comment about everything and basically its like they are clueless that noone cares! haha Um your not a terrible person and if you are than I guess I am too haha

~Leash :heart:
  • dansdeb
    dansdeb Posts: 164
    Options
    I HATE that! And there is always that ONE person. depending on how you want to be, I stopped the last one cold in his tracks, when I just said, "you know, i don't even care!". Kind of laughed, but he shut up!

I think usually it is a sign of insecurity, but after awhile banging your head on the wall repeated sounds like more fun. My sympathies
  • kashifrehman1982
    Options
    OK, lets do one thing prepare yourself for 15 min speech, and nest time when you meet him don't give him chance to start and take your turn. I am hopeful after that you can decide that you are terrible or not.

http://mycorner99.com/healthcare
  • MyKidzMom
    MyKidzMom Posts: 97
    Options
    I am at work right now and I have to put an earbud in and listen to music in one ear, while I have a headset on the other just so I can't hear some of the people around me talking. I totally feel your pain.
  • elyse0210
    elyse0210 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I took a Spanish class last semester and there was this girl who needed to be the center of attention. The class was 3 hours long and for those 3 hours she would talk and talk and talk. She was pregnant so she also had to talk about her baby and show off the sonogram pictures to other student and the professor! WHO f*@*$ing cares! I wanted to kill her so bad. I don't know why people feel the need to share their live story with whoever will listen. I feel your pain.
  • amg_89
    Options
    Haha when he mentioned that he was making a video blog i said "Yeah, I have no desire to bore others with my everyday life" He sort of just gave me a funny look and then class started.
  • victorianjewel
    Options
    Nicely done! I wear a headset and my iPod at work, so I don't have to listen to others around me.
  • sweetrevenge
    sweetrevenge Posts: 188
    Options
    HA! My ex, I can't believe I spent two years with someone that has a story for EVERY ocassion and he ALWAYS looks like the good guy, the hero, the saint, the tough guy or the super hero in EVERY SINGLE STORY!!!! I feel bad for you, but just think of this way......at least your not living with him like I was......lol. The last 11 days without him have been heaven (and silent)!
  • EboniA
    EboniA Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    We kinda have one of those at work. Her thing is one-uping everyone's story. Her marriage story is better, her vacation story is better, her grocery shopping story is better. You get the picture. I think it's hilarious to watch other people tell her stories just to see how she one-ups them. It drives my other co-workers crazy but some people are just like that. I agree with the insecurity comment. It's like she wants to fit in or just be included.

Alyssa, I like how you handled it... maybe it will stop now.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I am sure that there is one in every degree program at school...but I can totally relate to you in regards to people in the art world. I have a religious studies degree and an art history degree. I've never met more pretentious professors or students than I have in the art history program!
    And because many people into the arts in college are already somewhat quirky in the first place, they can be really overbearing with their stories and experiences. Especially if you don't partake in the same kind of lifestyle and are more...regular? For lack of a better term.
    I had an art history professor whose area of interest was the Italian Patronage of artists like Caravaggio, and he would go on and on about going into one of the famous churches in Italy to study something and at the end there was always a joke he laughed at. I could not stand him. And of course due to my schedule and interest in religious studies his classes were the ones I had to take.

Good luck with that dude. Art circles run small unfortunately. Especially in the summer. Keep shutting down and at the very least he'll leave you alone!
  • amg_89
    Options
    HA yeah art majors are...awesome. I am certainly one of the more "normal" art majors. I'm just glad we can all relate and just so you all know...none of us are terrible people. LOL