Quitting Soda

Options
I just wanted to open this discussion because in the past I've had my struggles with drinking soda, specifically coke. I wanted to see others who have had or are still having struggles with this issue. I also wanted to see tips and advice from people who have gone longer and feel they've officially weened themselves off soda.

I am currently on two months without a soda except for two of my cheat days. (Was surprised and proud of myself when I didn't relapse due to those 2 days) The biggest thing that put me over was the fact that I could quit for a week here and there but would always relapse. Being able to know how I felt off of it was a huge motivator. I decided in a week where I worked 50 hours at my distribution job (A receiver at Kohl's DC) was the best test for myself not to drink soda. I was stressed and always busy and at those times in the past a coke would ease my troubles. Being able to push through that week helped start it all for me. My situation is subjective however. What helped you?

Replies

• Chenry18
    Chenry18 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Spark. Sugar free drink with 120 mg caffeine & 26 vitamins. Tastes good, less than a monster or red bull & actually good for me. It was the only thing that helped me wean off cola.
  • bruhaha007
    bruhaha007 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Switching to La Croix naturally flavored soda water. Coconut is my favorite :)
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I like Zevia.... black cherry... mmm. still only go through a six pack a month tho...
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Bring extra water and add fresh fruit, good for you for quitting soda!

I like La Croix too, it's for sure not as sweet as soda but the carbonation is there, you could add a bit of juice to it also to make it sweeter
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    You could switch to diet soda.
  • moonchildisme
    moonchildisme Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Is diet really any better?
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I decided I couldn't wean, I had to drop cold turkey and break the mental habit clean. I replaced with Crystal Light for the taste and after a few months I introduced soda back, but I'll buy a single serving at 7/11 instead of have it in grocery. I really think the cold turkey broke the craving for me.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

Absolutely.

Zero calories. Still fizzy, still sweet, still satisfying.

In moderation, like all things, of course.
  • moonchildisme
    moonchildisme Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I only asked cause I am a diet pepsi addict
  • Mushman911
    Mushman911 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Doc told me if I really want to stop regular soda - drink water because the diet and other stuff have too many additives in them to make them even taste good. I am a straight up Coke addict. I love my coke - could drink 6 or 7 bottles (16.9 oz) a day, and have in some cases.

I am slowly trying to wean myself off of it, but am not going to punish myself or beat myself up if I have too much in one day. I switched to water and started using the Mio flavor drops for water. I love the Black Cherry - I probably put more than they suggest but it tastes like black cherry kool-aid. It seems to be helping me
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    I only asked cause I am a diet pepsi addict

Well drink away, and enjoy.
  • pottsoconnor881
    pottsoconnor881 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Used to be
  • pottsoconnor881
    Options
    Used to be seriously addicted to the caffeine in soda (not a coffee drinker but 4-5 cans of soda each day wasn't unusual). Best advice I got was to suffer through withdrawal, as in, when the awful headaches start, don't take any Advil or anything for it. Quit on a Friday. Spend the weekend on the couch dying. You'll never go back
  • wildeyezz
    wildeyezz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I weaned myself off Coke by replacing fresh water with fresh squeezed lemon or lime. I rarely have Coke now, because I crave water more.
  • pottsoconnor881
    Options

Absolutely.

Diet soda has been linked to cancer.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

Absolutely.

Yeah, we're going to need a source for that.
  • ac3UVspad3s
    ac3UVspad3s Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Absolutely.

Yeah, we're going to need a source for that.

I'm guessing they mean the aspartame argument which has been debunked quite a while back.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I think quite a few people have had problems with coke. It's a hard habit to break. Oh. Wait. Soda. Never mind.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'd been drinking diet soda since I was 10 y.o. (long before nutrasweet) had tried to ditch diet coke many, many times and always revert.

Switched to Iced Coffee almost 10 years ago, that way I didn't have to worry about caffeine withdrawal. And really it wasn't the caffeine that was a problem for me but all the chemicals and the artificial sweetener.
    So it's a more natural beverage with actual health benefits, I gradually weaned myself off of sweetener. (One packet of sweet'n'low -->half a packet of sweet'n'low --> one packet of sugar --> half a packet of sugar-->no sugar)

I gotta say I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER!

I didn't think I was going to take a hard fast stance against soda and figured I'd have one occasionally at a social event. But the last time I had a diet soda, I didn't even like the taste...
  • ac3UVspad3s
    ac3UVspad3s Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think quite a few people have had problems with coke. It's a hard habit to break. Oh. Wait. Soda. Never mind.

Definitely a pick me up. Helped with most of my weight loss. ;)