Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

If You Doubt The Organic Industry Leads The Anti-GMO Movement, This Settles It

Options

Replies

• ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't understand why so many people are against labeling. If I don't want to eat GMOs, that's my decision. If you want to eat them, that's your decision. There's nothing wrong with either choice. But I should have enough information avaliable to me regarding the food I buy that I am able to make that choice.

To me, it's kind of like country-of-origin labeling for other consumer goods. If I want to buy a toy made in America, then that's fine. If I want to buy a toy made in China, that's also fine. But I should have enough information avaliable that I'm able to figure out where the toy that I'm considering buying came from.

This.^^^^^ I have every right to know what I put into mine and my family's bodies. And for those that don't believe GMO's are damaging, wait until you almost lose a child and discover that GMO's are damaging their gut. You'll change your mind. Anything GMO makes my son very ill. But that fight will rage on. Labeling is a no brainer and is no different or expensive then when a company changes their label for any product. It's one change and run the labels. My husband use to work in that industry, the cost they scream about is a crock. What they don't want is people choosing non-GMO foods over GMO foods because GMO foods are their cash cow.

Do some research into long term GMO farming. I live in a farming community and there are many farmers now 5-8 years into farming GMO's finding their land ruined and their use of pesticides INCREASED because of mutations. Some are now trying to go back and reclaim their land and fix it to be farmable again but it's very difficult after so much damage.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't understand why so many people are against labeling. If I don't want to eat GMOs, that's my decision. If you want to eat them, that's your decision. There's nothing wrong with either choice. But I should have enough information avaliable to me regarding the food I buy that I am able to make that choice.

To me, it's kind of like country-of-origin labeling for other consumer goods. If I want to buy a toy made in America, then that's fine. If I want to buy a toy made in China, that's also fine. But I should have enough information avaliable that I'm able to figure out where the toy that I'm considering buying came from.

This.^^^^^ I have every right to know what I put into mine and my family's bodies. And for those that don't believe GMO's are damaging, wait until you almost lose a child and discover that GMO's are damaging their gut. You'll change your mind. Anything GMO makes my son very ill. But that fight will rage on. Labeling is a no brainer and is no different or expensive then when a company changes their label for any product. It's one change and run the labels. My husband use to work in that industry, the cost they scream about is a crock. What they don't want is people choosing non-GMO foods over GMO foods because GMO foods are their cash cow.

Do some research into long term GMO farming. I live in a farming community and there are many farmers now 5-8 years into farming GMO's finding their land ruined and their use of pesticides INCREASED because of mutations. Some are now trying to go back and reclaim their land and fix it to be farmable again but it's very difficult after so much damage.

You should know, though, that virtually everything you're eating at this point has been genetically modified. Unless you're growing 100% of the food you eat in your own backyard (and have sourced the seeds from a third-world country) there was almost certainly genetic modification at some point. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, because genetically modifying an organism doesn't just somehow automatically make it "toxic" or "poisonous".

GMOs are not boogeymen - food that has been modified to be more robust and versatile saves literally millions of lives every year. If you deny this, you're simply ignorant of the facts. That's ok, but continuing to spout nonsense and refusing to learn is causing major problems in our society.

The more you know.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

You should know, though, that virtually everything you're eating at this point has been genetically modified. Unless you're growing 100% of the food you eat in your own backyard (and have sourced the seeds from a third-world country) there was almost certainly genetic modification at some point. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, because genetically modifying an organism doesn't just somehow automatically make it "toxic" or "poisonous".

GMOs are not boogeymen - food that has been modified to be more robust and versatile saves literally millions of lives every year. If you deny this, you're simply ignorant of the facts. That's ok, but continuing to spout nonsense and refusing to learn is causing major problems in our society.

The more you know.

GMO is different from selective breeding or hybrid seeds.

http://www.who.int/foodsafety/areas_work/food-technology/faq-genetically-modified-food/en/
    1. What are genetically modified (GM) organisms and GM foods?

Genetically modified organisms (GMOs) can be defined as organisms (i.e. plants, animals or microorganisms) in which the genetic material (DNA) has been altered in a way that does not occur naturally by mating and/or natural recombination. The technology is often called “modern biotechnology” or “gene technology”, sometimes also “recombinant DNA technology” or “genetic engineering”. It allows selected individual genes to be transferred from one organism into another, also between nonrelated species. Foods produced from or using GM organisms are often referred to as GM foods.
  • OneHundredToLose
    Options

The more you know.

http://www.who.int/foodsafety/areas_work/food-technology/faq-genetically-modified-food/en/

Genetically modified organisms (GMOs) can be defined as organisms (i.e. plants, animals or microorganisms) in which the genetic material (DNA) has been altered in a way that does not occur naturally by mating and/or natural recombination. The technology is often called “modern biotechnology” or “gene technology”, sometimes also “recombinant DNA technology” or “genetic engineering”. It allows selected individual genes to be transferred from one organism into another, also between nonrelated species. Foods produced from or using GM organisms are often referred to as GM foods.

Colloquially it is, but effectively any manipulation of an organism generationally in order to reach a certain goal counts as genetic modification, since the genes are different at the end than at the beginning. I know it's a semantics thing, but that's the point I am trying to make. These people scream and cry about how much better "natural" and "organic" foods are, but they don't realize that those things hardly exist anywhere in the world at this point, even when they're labelled as such.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

The more you know.

Colloquially it is, but effectively any manipulation of an organism generationally in order to reach a certain goal counts as genetic modification, since the genes are different at the end than at the beginning. I know it's a semantics thing, but that's the point I am trying to make. These people scream and cry about how much better "natural" and "organic" foods are, but they don't realize that those things hardly exist anywhere in the world at this point, even when they're labelled as such.

No, I think they understand that just fine. They just also understand the difference between the two.
  • OneHundredToLose
    edited February 2016
    Options

The more you know.

No, I think they understand that just fine. They just also understand the difference between the two.

So I'm assuming you're implying that I don't understand the difference? As I mentioned above, I understand it just fine, but it makes no difference in the end since both types of modification result in differing sets of genes than the original organisms had. They are both types of genetic modification.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    GMO's have been around for a very long time, it is not a new concept, man has been doing this for thousands of years.

I can't say that I believe any food is truly in its' original state, and to me, organically grown is somewhat a gimmick, that some people are willing to pay more for.

I support the local farmers, and buy at farmers markets, as I know that the food is fresh at least.

Big business truly runs the world.

No they have not, only since 1987.

If you are claiming thousands of years then you don't know what GMOs are.

I would consider mutation breeding after irradiation genetic engineering; same process, just not targeted. And that's definitely a lot older.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options

Sorry to hear about your son's health problems, but how did you come to the conclusion that GMOs were responsible for his illness?
  • Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

I don't understand this. Since we're all likening this to Celiac disease anyway, let's go ahead and continue that comparison. We don't legally REQUIRE food companies to label their food as gluten-free. Having a gluten-free label is a selling point that those companies enjoy and use to market to those people avoiding gluten. Gluten-full foods don't use the label, and don't market to those avoiding gluten. Thus, if you have Celiac Disease, you only buy foods with gluten-free labels. You don't expect foods to have "WARNING: THIS HAS GLUTEN" labels.

So as someone who doesn't want to ingest GMO's, why legally REQUIRE food companies to label their food as GMO products? If you don't want GMOs, you only buy foods with organic labels. Why require all food companies to put GMO labels on their food? That just seems needless and repetitive, given the abundance of Organic-labeled foods and companies that offer their "organic, non-GMO" stickers.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    ^^^^^Because unfounded fear.
  • OneHundredToLose
    Options
    richln wrote: »

Sorry to hear about your son's health problems, but how did you come to the conclusion that GMOs were responsible for his illness?

My guess? Assuming correlation equals causation.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »

What is a naturopath, Alex?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

The more you know.

So I'm assuming you're implying that I don't understand the difference? As I mentioned above, I understand it just fine, but it makes no difference in the end since both types of modification result in differing sets of genes than the original organisms had. They are both types of genetic modification.

If you think there is no difference then you don't understand the difference.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I looked through some of the articles posted by skysiebaby. Let's produce crops resistant to frost??? Lol. That's why there's a "growing season". I don't think it can be said that GMO crops like that have been around for that long.

In theory, what would be the issue with having a crop that is resistant to frost? It would create a longer growing season, which may in turn reduce the time it takes to get fresh produce from the farm to the grocery store. I don't see an issue with something like this.
    Crops aren't "naturally" designed to be that way. If I could grow something like corn in the wintertime in my area, that would seem very unnatural to me.

ETA: I would say the same thing about drought-resistant crops. That doesn't sound right to me. A drought comes, and the plant just keeps on growing???
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I looked through some of the articles posted by skysiebaby. Let's produce crops resistant to frost??? Lol. That's why there's a "growing season". I don't think it can be said that GMO crops like that have been around for that long.

In theory, what would be the issue with having a crop that is resistant to frost? It would create a longer growing season, which may in turn reduce the time it takes to get fresh produce from the farm to the grocery store. I don't see an issue with something like this.
    Crops aren't "naturally" designed to be that way. If I could grow something like corn in the wintertime in my area, that would seem very unnatural to me.

Crops aren't naturally designed, period. They are and have been for thousands of years, exactly how we wanted them to be.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

The more you know.

I do not think you fully understand the differences between gmo, natural (I am guessing this is supposed to be non-gmo?) and organic. You seem to believe that anyone cautious about gmo is not informed, yet it comes out as you having decided this view is wrong, without understanding what it is about.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Crops aren't naturally designed, period. They are and have been for thousands of years, exactly how we wanted them to be.

Exactly.

And there are many things in our modern, first-world lives that aren't "natural" but have proven very beneficial to us.

It seems like a drought-resistant or frost-resistant crop would ultimately prove to be beneficial.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Some GMOs are good, like plants that are pest-resistant and can be grown with less pesticide use, some are likely bad (like Roundup ready crops doused in herbicide), and some are GREAT, like Golden Rice, and crops engineered to be tolerant of floods and drought.
  • OneHundredToLose
    edited February 2016
    Options

The more you know.

If you think there is no difference then you don't understand the difference.

I said it makes no difference, not that there is no difference. If you need to put words in my mouth to make your argument, you don't have one.
    aggelikik wrote: »

The more you know.

I do not think you fully understand the differences between gmo, natural (I am guessing this is supposed to be non-gmo?) and organic. You seem to believe that anyone cautious about gmo is not informed, yet it comes out as you having decided this view is wrong, without understanding what it is about.

I do not think you fully read what I wrote (I'm guessing you were so eager to respond that you decided to skim it?). You seem to believe that I implied they are the same thing, whereas what I actually said is that they are different, but functionally equivalent. This causes your point to be moot, considering you don't actually understand the point I am making.
  • browneyes1520
    browneyes1520 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My issue with gmo crops are the round up ready ones. There is nothing natural or OK about that. Having a crop (corn for example) have herbicide/pesticide built into their genetic make up? Come on. How can anyone believe that that is safe. Pesticides are designed to kill pests, so what do u think they'll do to us in the long run? I realize conventionally grown fruit and veg are sprayed with pesticides but at least u can wash a good percentage of that off, unlike the gmo crops that have it built into their genetic code, there is no washing that off. Would you sit down to a nice plate of veggies and top it off with a tsp of pesticide? I'm guessing not. So why would u eat a gmo crop filled with it? But who cares, to each their own. People have a right to their own opinions without being *kitten* all over for them.
This discussion has been closed.