please answer

I don't know if this is considered as a deficit but my bmr is 1,500 calories and for me to maintain my weight I have to eat 2,000 calories but I workout at least 5 days a week and each workout I burn 500 calories so for example on my mfp it says 2,000-500=1,500 net daily calories and then I put the complete this entry button and it says I will weight less in a couple of weeks so should I eat back the calories I burn when I workout?

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Okay this is kind of confusing, but I'll answer you based on my understanding. My understanding is that your BMR is 1500, and when you combine your BMR with your non exercise daily activity, you get 2000 calories. If that's correct, then yes, any exercise you do on top of this should be eaten back. The only caveat to that is beware that exercise is often overestimated even by MFP, so many people choose to eat back anywhere from 25%-75% of their exercise calories. I recommend starting with 75% and if you're not losing weight, drop it to 50%.
  • AJ_G wrote: »
    Okay this is kind of confusing, but I'll answer you based on my understanding. My understanding is that your BMR is 1500, and when you combine your BMR with your non exercise daily activity, you get 2000 calories. If that's correct, then yes, any exercise you do on top of this should be eaten back. The only caveat to that is beware that exercise is often overestimated even by MFP, so many people choose to eat back anywhere from 25%-75% of their exercise calories. I recommend starting with 75% and if you're not losing weight, drop it to 50%.

When I eat 2,000 calories and put the 500 calories burn on the app it says 1,500 net calories for the day and it says I will be weighing less in like 5 weeks if everyday was like today.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    You should eat back at least some of those calories because you're supposed to be netting 2000 calories for weight loss.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Assuming you set MFP to maintain weight and you maintain at 2000 then you should eat back your exercise calories to net 2000. Otherwise you will continue to lose weight. Of course this also assumes your calorie and burn calculations are somewhat accurate.