So ashamed

Options
2»

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Part of the process is learning how to deal with setbacks. You have to learn how to forgive yourself, or the guilt will cause you to fail in the long run. Just return to your regularly scheduled calorie deficit, forgive yourself and act like nothing ever happened.
    OH, it also may help to up your calories a bit. 1200 calories is a really small amount of food. You'll still lose weight if you maintain any kind of calorie deficit. Sure, you'll lose faster at 1200 calories, but not really if you're so hungry that you end up bingeing, y'know?
  • Chenry18
    Chenry18 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    No no no!!! Don't beat yourself up! It's okay :) I don't like to think of days like these as cheat days. Cheat has a negative connotation...think of it as a treat! You deserve a treat after working hard toward your goals!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    vasdfp24 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I lost 14.6 pounds on a 1200 calorie diet in less than 6 days and the past two days I've ate whatever I wanted. I feel so ashamed of myself. I was doing so good and now all I want to do is kick myself. I think it's mostly because we didn't have groceries so I had to eat whatever I could find. But I should have tried harder. Good news is I go grocery shopping tomorrow but I don't really know what to buy. :( everything was so repetitive last time.

Sounds like 1200 calories was way too low for you. Over restricting can trigger a binge.

How tall are you, how much do you weigh now, and what's your goal weight?

My nutritionist put me on it because she said my metabolism is to slow. Message me for my stats I'm kind of embarrassed.

Your nutritionist determined your metabolic rate? How did they do that?
    Was the person an actual registered dietitian or a nutritionist? For example, I'm a nutritionist, anyone in this thread that wants, I'll dub a nutritionist (valid in most US states, consult your own legal counsel) because it isn't a protected title - anyone can call themselves one in most regions. A registered dietitian has a certain course load and academic requirements - though it is possible to become one and still be a quack, just less likely.

As for overeating for a day or two? Eh. It could be a setback, but weight loss only fails if you decide to let it fail, otherwise, all you've done is delayed reaching your goal.
  • vasdfp24
    vasdfp24 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just want to thank everyone for commenting and helping. I need to clarify that I'm going through some medical situations that actually have nothing to do with my weight but the medical staff I'm working with is trying to keep me healthy has possible and have nutritionist and dieticians in their office for people to talk to. I don't know if any of you heard of this before but they determined my metabolism is slow by a machine called Medgem? I appreciate all of your concern. I actually did really good for the first 6 days. I plan on restarting. I've definitely learned a lot the past couple of days about my mistakes and I'm learning from them. I do plan on being in this the long haul. We all make mistakes. That was the first time I ever tried buying healthy foods so I wasn't sure what to purchase but I'm learning and have learned. My mind and motivation are a lot greater than people think. I messed up these past two days but I know I have got this.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Don't be ashamed of over eating. It doesn't mean you are a failure or worth less as a person.

Your present situation is providing you feedback which you can act upon in making your overall plan of action better. Ask any successful person and I would bet most of them will tell you that they have made numerous mistakes on their path. They learned from them and pushed on.

So look at your situation without emotion and ask yourself what you think caused the loss of control and what steps you can put into place to lessen the chances of it happening again.

You'll be fine. I promise ;)
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    "Ashamed" is such a strong word. If you had a good friend who came to you and told you that she did exactly what you just told us here, would you say, "That's horrible! You should be ashamed of yourself!"?

Yeah, I didn't think so.

Take it easy on yourself. No one gets to where they want to be without a few false steps. Just pick yourself up and move on.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I lost 14.6 pounds on a 1200 calorie diet in less than 6 days and the past two days I've ate whatever I wanted. I feel so ashamed of myself. I was doing so good and now all I want to do is kick myself. I think it's mostly because we didn't have groceries so I had to eat whatever I could find. But I should have tried harder. Good news is I go grocery shopping tomorrow but I don't really know what to buy. :( everything was so repetitive last time.

You are only 6 days into this. It will take time to learn what to do and what works best for you. Just learn from it and move on. One day doesn't doom you if you don't let it.
    The thing about weight loss is that a calorie deficit determines weight loss. You can do that eating any food. So if you don't have special food in the house you can still lose weight.
    Log everything. Pre-logging food is helpful for some of us to be sure we meet our goals better. You might try that.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    OT: So curious about MedGem and have the Google. Also have been looking into doing some kind of RMR testing.
    Because the DTC is no longer being manufactured, another valid and reliable gas analysis system is needed. We compared five systems with the DTC and found that the TrueOne and the Vmax were the most valid gas analysis systems of those tested for measuring both RMR and RER relative to the DTC; however, none of the gas analysis systems tested can be considered adequately reliable for use in a research setting, although the TrueOne comes close. This is disappointing considering that the DTC has been shown to be a valid and reliable instrument. We can only assume that the development engineers of these other instruments are not aware that the ideal respiratory gas analyzer for nutritional studies should be accurate within several percent and have a within-person reliability of 3% or better. Clearly, the impetus is on the manufacturers to meet the requirements of the research community.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2650235/

For the OP, MedGem is questionable it seems.
    We found that the MedGem was not valid which has been reported previously (1; 6). Conversely, others have found the MedGem to provide a valid measure of RMR (8; 9).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh please don't listen to their advice. It's horrible advice. You absolutely don't have to eat as little as 1200 calories. Losing 14 pounds in a week is insane (I know that most of it is water weight, but still). You can't sustain this. You're better off eating a bit more but being able to stick to it long term!
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Everyone has days where we make food choices that are less than ideal. It is hard to not let it affect your feelings about yourself, especially in the beginning, but try to focus on what you did right. You had 6 days on target. That's fabulous! Eventually those good days will outnumber the bad, and that is when you start to really see progress.

As for eating 1200 calories, there are things you can do to feel more satisfied. Try eating a large volume of low calorie foods (veggies) and make sure you are getting enough protein and fat (it will help you stay full longer). If you have a sweet tooth, try to work in a "treat" for dessert. Pre-logging your day may be helpful to you, or batch cooking for the week.

Don't let yourself get discouraged when you slip up. You can do this, as long as you don't give up. Treat yourself kindly.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I too would be interested to know what foods are being recommended by the nutritionist. No one really needs to make a special trip to the store when they are trying to lose weight (unless specifically under a doctor's direction, which sounds possible in your case). If you are trying to limit yourself to certain foods you are not used to and don't particularly enjoy, there will be problems. Look around at some diaries and see how people balance healthier choices with things they love. But don't read too much into your results so far. You didn't lose 14 lbs of fat in a week, and 2 days of overeating will not ruin your results. In fact, I'm kind of relieved to know you ate more (though of course I will defer to your doctor.)
  • dbkyser
    dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I agree that is to few calories. while thats great to see on the scales it just is not the way to do this long term.