Are funny women sexy?

debbash68
debbash68 Posts: 981 Member
I was just wondering what people thought, thie following is from a British newspaper a few years ago. "Men see being funny as a male thing," explained Dr Rod Martin, who led the project.

Hundreds of men and women were questioned. Asked if they found a sense of humour to be attractive in women, most men said yes. But when they were asked if they would want to be with a woman who cracked jokes herself, the answer was a resounding no.

"When forced to choose between humour production and humour appreciation in potential partners, women valued humour production, whereas men valued receptivity to their own humour," said Dr Martin.
I'm just putting this out there for discussion!

Replies

• Sense of humour is a must for me
  • debbash68
    I was thinking a lot of women find humour sexy, woody Allen would never have been able to reproduce, but I just thought you never hear men say its sexy
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    I think there are different kinds of funny. I'm a funny person, but a different type than a lot of others. I'm clumsy and quick-witted. And to be honest, a lot of the guys I know find it adorably funny when I'm clumsy (they say I'm like a cartoon character), but if I am quick with a comeback, they don't find it as humorous (even if it's in retaliation to a crack about me). Then there's the sense of humor I have in my marriage. When we have a big fight over something stupid, we laugh and joke about it. Either after we cool off or sometimes right in the middle of it when we realize how stupid we're being. That sense of humor is great for an intimate relationship. So I think that it depends on the man, woman, type of funny, and situation. But in general, I think that everyone enjoys a good laugh whether it's from a man or a woman. And I think it's easier to find someone you like to be around attractive than someone whose annoying or rude.
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Humor is a must for me as well and the more sarcastic the better!
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    I was thinking a lot of women find humour sexy, woody Allen would never have been able to reproduce, but I just thought you never hear men say its sexy

they don't think it's sexy, unless they're really self-confident and pretty funny themselves. or, if being funny isn't important to them.

and even the kind of humour women tend to* produce (subtler, more textured, observational, usually) tends* not to appeal to the mass of men out there.

*tend to; tends to; typical, usual; not all women; not all men
  • anemoneprose
    I think there are different kinds of funny. I'm a funny person, but a different type than a lot of others. I'm clumsy and quick-witted. And to be honest, a lot of the guys I know find it adorably funny when I'm clumsy (they say I'm like a cartoon character), but if I am quick with a comeback, they don't find it as humorous (even if it's in retaliation to a crack about me). Then there's the sense of humor I have in my marriage. When we have a big fight over something stupid, we laugh and joke about it. Either after we cool off or sometimes right in the middle of it when we realize how stupid we're being. That sense of humor is great for an intimate relationship. So I think that it depends on the man, woman, type of funny, and situation. But in general, I think that everyone enjoys a good laugh whether it's from a man or a woman. And I think it's easier to find someone you like to be around attractive than someone whose annoying or rude.

right but 'enjoys' is different than 'finds sexy', no?
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,303 Member
    Are they putting out?
  • debbash68

they don't think it's sexy, unless they're really self-confident and pretty funny themselves. or, if being funny isn't important to them.

and even the kind of humour women tend to* produce (subtler, more textured, observational, usually) tends* not to appeal to the mass of men out there.

I laughed at your asterisk , or maybe laughed with it!
  • anemoneprose
    Are they putting out?

^ funny!
  • anemoneprose

I laughed at your asterisk , or maybe laughed with it!
    Lol! You're hot!
  • debbash68
    Are they putting out?
    Obvs
  • ALKNica
    ALKNica Posts: 50
    I'm beginning to see little humor in all these studies that continually perpetuate stereotypes of all kinds.
  • catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    If a man doesn't find my wit, sarcasm, and willingness to make a fool of myself sexy then he can move right along
  • Stump_Likker
    Stump_Likker Posts: 2,059 Member
    How about if we tell jokes with our boobs out?
  • Stump_Likker
    That's a joke, son- Foghorn Leghorn
  • debbash68
    Just tried it, limited reaction think I need to work on the punch line
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member

right but 'enjoys' is different than 'finds sexy', no?

Yes, but I think it can go both ways. Again depending on the situation and the people involved. Fart jokes don't exactly want to make me throw down. But laughing my butt off with a guy who has the same sense of humor as me with both of us cracking jokes totally does! I'm not a guy, but I imagine some would like that too.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Humor is a sign of intelligence. I absolutely like my woman smart.
  • Stump_Likker
    Just tried it, limited reaction think I need to work on the punch line

lol
  • Stump_Likker
    So a rabbi, a priest, and..oh nevermind.