I think I scared myself...

Options
Hey guys!
So I was doing so good, meal prepping, logging my food everyday, posting things that kept me motivated, I tried everyday to drink more water, I made it back to the gym a couple time since my surgery, I was steadily losing weight... Then it happened... I think I scared myself... It was all working... It's almost like I freaked myself out and told myself it's okay I can eat whatever I want cause I'll make a good choice next time... So what do I do... Throw it all out the window and start making bad choice after bad choice... I have to get back on track... Anyone else experience this?

Replies

• CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Just get back on track. You've seen this working for you, and you've seen other things fail... Eating whatever you want is what made you unhappy enough to try a change in the first place, right?
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Classic self sabotage... often times we have a fear of success as well as a fear of failure. And we all gotta figure it out on our own. Get back at it, because you're worth it.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I did that for a couple years. I would lose weight just eating less without counting, have people noticing, then think I was ok to eat anything and all of it because I'd done so well. Then I would never get back to eating less again. A few months later after gaining all back, I'd start the cycle again. I actually grew to hate any compliments on my weight loss. (Past that now)

It's the reason I'm against planning "cheats." (As in meals or entire days eating way too much high calorie foods) Feeling guilty for eating or using it as a reward isnt healthy thinking for me. I hate remembering how miserable I was having to start over and over and over again.

You have to want this. You have to realize that pattern doesn't accomplish a long term goal. All you do to fix it is jump back in.

Allow yourself some yummies that fit into your calories. Sometimes that might mean you can't have a temptation until tomorrow. Eat smaller amounts of whatever derails you. Don't deprive yourself. Instead either fit in a smaller caloric amount or find a suitable, satisfying substitute.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Repeatedly. You are not alone!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Been there and done that. I try to have little sweet treats (under 100 calories) a few times a week to help keep on track.
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Holy mother of God, I absolutely do this. Hang in there, man.
  • JenPass1977
    JenPass1977 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I didn't realise this was common I thought it was just me! Will be following your thread x
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I do the exact same, and have done many times, but it's not so much that I freak out because it's working, I just become too complacent and think 'oh well, i've done so well I can take my foot off the pedal now, I can overindulge because i'll just get back to it tomorrow' and tomorrow becomes the next day, then the next, and then I end up right back where I started.
    This time however, i've taken a slightly different approach, i've changed my mindset about it all, every other time I've thought of it all as being on a 'diet', cutting out all sorts of stuff, and the exercising as something I have to do to help lose the weight, but ultimately that when I reach my goal weight it would all be over, so it's just something awful I have to endure to reach an end result.
    But this time i'm looking at it as a long term commitment to be healthier in general, and the exercise as something to make my body fitter and my mind clearer.
    I guess I see it as making myself happier all round, rather than being fed up and miserable due to my weight, if that makes any sense at all....
  • Mersie1
    Mersie1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    OMG! Yes!!! Hugs and high fives for those in this club!
  • motivatedsister
    motivatedsister Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Right there with ya! I'll lose a couple pounds and then almost immediately eat something that's not on plan. However this is the first time where I've ever made a conscious decision to count calories and weigh myself, so the slip is usually small because I see the impact it has versus when I wouldn't step foot on a scale and then the next month/year whatever oh crap I'm up 10 lbs.
  • Squirrel698
    Squirrel698 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that. I would think, 'losing weight is so easy for me. I'll get started on that tomorrow ... or Monday ... or after this work party ... after my sons birthday for certain, I want to enjoy myself ... oh my friends invited me out, well I think I'll order 2 dozen buffalo wings ... tomorrow for sure ..."
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Same here. I'm working on maintenance now and it's so hard to not fall into the "I've got this down pat- no need to be so strict" trap. Two months now of trying to train new "it'll never be over so just suck it up" habits.
  • jess_fitlife
    jess_fitlife Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    All of your stories hit home for me. It feels good to know I'm not alone. Sometimes my actions just don't match up with my mind and heart. That is by far the biggest struggle I face. Thank you all for sharing :smile: this is a lifestyle change for me and I have got to start supporting it with my thoughts and actions.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    What exactly were you afraid of? Maybe you should deal with that first.
  • MainEventer1
    MainEventer1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this will help. But have a cheat day once in awhile. Like don't go crazy and just eat all day lol. Like for me I have a strict diet, but once or twice a month I'll have a day were I keep my intake moderate, but go off that diet I'm doing. Idk to me it just helps being rewarded and when you do it less and less like I do, it will become easier to stay on track and soon you won't even bother with the unhealthy food. Eh, it's probably bad advice lol, but it works for me.
  • dlm4mom
    dlm4mom Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP for a little over a year and this has happened to me at least every 2 months. Logging on every day REGARDLESS of what you have eaten is important and is what gets me back on track. All in all I have lost weight although not as much as I had hoped but I have been able to get rid of my REALLY fat clothes and am teetering between my regular fat clothes and roomy normal ones. So to me this program works. I am hopeful that I will do better this time.
  • ashleyylo
    ashleyylo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    What exactly were you afraid of? Maybe you should deal with that first.

This. What do you think scared you? Having to be strict forever? Getting positive attention (and therefore maybe feeling pressure)?

Sucess is just as scary as failure sometimes.