why do I feel like I am eating to much.

Options
2»

Replies

• Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Another thing to consider in your weight loss journey is maintaining proper hydration. Consuming the proper amount of water is important to help your body void the toxins, and fat lost in your transition. A person should not go by the standard 8/8, as this is only valid for those who are approx. 128 lbs. You need to have half your body weight in ounce of water a day to ensure healthy hydration. That means for you @ 375 pounds should have approx. 180 to 187 oz. of water a day, or 22 to 23 - 8 oz. servings of water.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    What Formula would you recommend? Rapid weight loss of more than 1 to 2 pounds a week, can be potentially dangerous (without the supervision of a healthcare provider). A person who is losing more than that per a week may not be losing fat, but water weight, and/ or lean muscle tissue. Fat loss is not an easy thing to do. One pound of fat lost in a week is ruffly equal to 3500 calories, or approximately equal to burning 500 calories more a day, than he/she is currently burning. It is more likely a person will maintain weight loss if it is slow, and steady. Also,safer in the long run to prevent potential issues that can occur from rapid weight loss. Honestly, anyone who is morbidly obese should consult their doctor prior to starting an exercise, and diet program to ensure there is not other health issues they may need to considered in they're program.

All true unless one is morbidly obese. A 400 pound person can lose much more than 1 or 2 pounds per week, and should if possible. 1% of body weight per week is a better guideline. I'm not suggesting a dangerous crash diet. For example I am 6 foot, 1 inch, 47 years old, and moderately active. If I were the OP I would eat 2500 calories a day. Well below BMR for a very large person, far from dangerous. The OP's goal TDEE will vary by age, height, exercise, and non-exercise activity.

Some doctors tend to recommend extreme diets like medifast. Many are much less knowledgeable about weight loss than you are.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Options
    What Formula would you recommend? Rapid weight loss of more than 1 to 2 pounds a week, can be potentially dangerous (without the supervision of a healthcare provider). A person who is losing more than that per a week may not be losing fat, but water weight, and/ or lean muscle tissue. Fat loss is not an easy thing to do. One pound of fat lost in a week is ruffly equal to 3500 calories, or approximately equal to burning 500 calories more a day, than he/she is currently burning. It is more likely a person will maintain weight loss if it is slow, and steady. Also,safer in the long run to prevent potential issues that can occur from rapid weight loss. Honestly, anyone who is morbidly obese should consult their doctor prior to starting an exercise, and diet program to ensure there is not other health issues they may need to considered in they're program.

All true unless one is morbidly obese. A 400 pound person can lose much more than 1 or 2 pounds per week, and should if possible. 1% of body weight per week is a better guideline. I'm not suggesting a dangerous crash diet. For example I am 6 foot, 1 inch, 47 years old, and moderately active. If I were the OP I would eat 2500 calories a day. Well below BMR for a very large person, far from dangerous. The OP's goal TDEE will vary by age, height, exercise, and non-exercise activity.

Some doctors tend to recommend extreme diets like medifast. Many are much less knowledgeable about weight loss than you are.

I do agree that an obese person can easily lose weight more rapidly @ the beginning of any program simply b/c of cutting back sodium, and sugar intake. However, I am concerned that any person who needs to lose a large sum of weight may go too low, or about their weight loss in the wrong way. I also agree, many doctors are not educated well enough on weight loss issues(this was an issue of mine), and so I suggest working with a doctor who has a partnership with a nutritionist, that can develop a personalized plan to meet that persons specific needs (i.e. Diabetes, Congestive Heart Failure, and or other Weight related issues). Forums may not be the best place to start looking for calorie intake advice. Many of of us (including me) are devote to their methods, and many are not open to changing their opinion. Forums tend to be a peoples pulpit, and providing too many confusing ideas, and/or advice that may work for one, and not another. The best place to start is probably on the slower side of weight loss and/ or consulting a professional on what is safe for that particular individual.
  • mike37130
    mike37130 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think there may be a misunderstanding here. I am a big guy and I am obese. BUT I am also built big. Long ago when I went to see my doctor I was told by him that a safe body weight for me is 230 to 240. I am active at work. I walk up to 6 hours a day 5 days a week at work but not fast enough to call it exercise. I am not the super obese guy you see at the stores that can barley walk. Don't get me wrong I am 150 pounds over weight. My main problem was the over use of soft drinks and sweet tea. I never drank enough water like I needed to. My target is 1 to 2 pounds a week no more no less. I do appreciate all the input and will take your advice and see my doctor. I need to see him any to for a prescription to help me quit smoking.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I do agree that an obese person can easily lose weight more rapidly @ the beginning of any program simply b/c of cutting back sodium, and sugar intake.

I'm talking about fat loss. Sodium's effect on scale weight is meaningless and averages out over time. Eating less sugar is no different than eating less calories from any other source.

It is safe to lose 1% of body weight a week.
    However, I am concerned that any person who needs to lose a large sum of weight may go too low, or about their weight loss in the wrong way.

I agree, but force feeding yourself 3500 calories a day because the mfp app is not designed for the very obese is just as much the wrong way to do it as a crash diet imo.

Everyone should be responsible for their own life. it is not a good idea to rely solely on internet advice or on a single so called expert, many of whom are as misinformed as anyone.
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I would just follow the calories you've been given on here. I felt full too at the beginning because you suddenly become aware of exactly what you are putting in your body. 2000 calories of nutrient dense food fills you up better than 2000 calories of less healthy food (I hate the term junk food) and soda.

You sound like you are doing well to me! :smile: Your calorie requirements drop as you lose weight so I'd enjoy eating as much as you can at the moment!

Best of luck :drinker:
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Odds are you used to eat more calorie dense foods than you are now. I could totally eat 1,000 calories of pizza in one sitting without batting an eye, but there's no freakin' way I could eat 1,000 calories of egg whites and vegetables.

I think you are right. It is not just the amount of food I was eating but the quality of the food I was eating as well. I'm looking at all the stuff I like to eat and I am shocked at how bad it is for me. Looks like I am going to be cleaning the fridge out tonight...
    Good for you! Your good attitude toward food is already leading you to making healthier food choices . I am impressed!
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Options
    I think there may be a misunderstanding here. I am a big guy and I am obese. BUT I am also built big. Long ago when I went to see my doctor I was told by him that a safe body weight for me is 230 to 240. I am active at work. I walk up to 6 hours a day 5 days a week at work but not fast enough to call it exercise. I am not the super obese guy you see at the stores that can barley walk. Don't get me wrong I am 150 pounds over weight. My main problem was the over use of soft drinks and sweet tea. I never drank enough water like I needed to. My target is 1 to 2 pounds a week no more no less. I do appreciate all the input and will take your advice and see my doctor. I need to see him any to for a prescription to help me quit smoking.

Good Luck, and I do hope you find what works for you! :happy: I really wish you luck on quitting smoking. I battled that too, and have been a non-smoker for three full years.
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Get some friends here with similar weight and goal and look each other diaries together and also give advice when you need it. 1-2 pounds per week is a very sensible goal.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Options
    I do agree that an obese person can easily lose weight more rapidly @ the beginning of any program simply b/c of cutting back sodium, and sugar intake.

I'm talking about fat loss. Sodium's effect on scale weight is meaningless and averages out over time. Eating less sugar is no different than eating less calories from any other source.

It is safe to lose 1% of body weight a week.

Sodium reduction can make appear you are losing more weight at first, but as I said before losing fat is hard to do, and generally losing more than 2 pounds of fat a week can cause health issues for some losing weight rapidly, and unlikely to do in most cases, unless supervised by a professional.
    However, I am concerned that any person who needs to lose a large sum of weight may go too low, or about their weight loss in the wrong way.

I agree, but force feeding yourself 3500 calories a day because the mfp app is not designed for the very obese is just as much the wrong way to do it as a crash diet imo.

Everyone should be responsible for their own life. it is not a good idea to rely solely on internet advice or on a single so called expert, many of whom are as misinformed as anyone.

That is what I am saying about forums in general. There is a lot of info that is hard to sort through for newer users, and most people are teetotalers, and will run an extreme gambit of advice, in which they can not be swayed one way or another. As far as force feeding yourself 3500 calories. It is pretty easy to get there with a lot of food choices. Honestly, if it wasn't easy for us all to go over our ideal calorie intake (whatever that amount maybe) we would not have gotten to the places we are at now. What makes MFP, and other food journals so great is that we become more aware of just how much we do eat. I will still eat a doughnut, or a hamburger, even pizza. Now I just don't eat all three in the same day. However, I was raised with some very large, tall men. None of which were morbidly obese, and they could easily put down 3000 to 3500 calories just for maintenance. My brother's both are 6 ft. 5, two uncles nearing 7 ft., and a 6 ft 2 husband who use to body build. So it's not as hard as you think to eat that many calories. Now, I get most people are not that tall, but using the argument of having to force feed yourself 3500 calories a day.....not so hard...think about this how many people will sit down at McDonald's and eat a double quarter pounder meal, large fry, and large coke.... thats something like 3400 calories, and then let look at a bag of Nacho Cheese Doritos...how many people sit there and eat a whole bag of them in front of the TV ...that's 2,380 calories....or one more for good measure... Pizza Hut hand tossed Supreme Pizza 4 pieces is 1,080 calories. I know a lot of people who can eat this easily. Consuming calories is not the problem, it's over consuming calories for your natural body weigth that's the problem. I'm just saying that @ 375 pounds it takes 5,250 calories a day to maintain that weight so eating that many calories was not an issue for him before...dropping it by 1,575 would not hard to do, and just doing that would start to reduce his waistline at an acceptable rate. Sure he could drop calories even more and lose it faster, but how fast is to fast? thats up to him and his doctor.
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Hi Mike,

Congratulations on your decision to change your life.

I started out at 145kg (320 lbs) and I followed mfp to a tee following the calories it gave me and have lost 63kg (140lbs) since March 2012. It is perfectly fine to do as it's suggesting. I found it to be a very healthy way to lose weight

Personally, I wouldn't worry about TDEE or BMR or anything like that. Just follow what the app suggests you to do.

I felt sometimes like I was eating a lot and even fit in a few "naughty" Lebanese banquet dinners into the calorie goal when I was first starting out. You're right that you are eating less calorically dense foods than you used to. 1000 calories of chocolate is "nothing" in size compared to 1000 calories of broccoli!

I wish you all the best in your weight-loss. :)
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Options
    Just to make it clear I do agree with better quality calories are more filling. I do not want you to think I am disagreeing with the fact Broccoli is a why better calorie choice, and fills you up faster. I also realize it is harder for lets say a vegan to meet higher calorie goals. Healthier choices are the best choices. just don't feel like your eating too much b/c you think your calorie deficit is too high. Enjoy!
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Just to make it clear I do agree with better quality calories are more filling. I do not want you to think I am disagreeing with the fact Broccoli is a why better calorie choice, and fills you up faster. I also realize it is harder for lets say a vegan to meet higher calorie goals. Healthier choices are the best choices. just don't feel like your eating too much b/c you think your calorie deficit is too high. Enjoy!

Lol. I get your point. But just for the record, I was a 145kg vegan. Chocolate, potato chips, vegan ice-cream, fried vegan food, etc...all vegan...all high calorie...

I'm now a 76kg vegan.
  • mike37130
    mike37130 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Here is my day 2 total.

Totals
    Calories =1,920 Carbs=155 Fat=88 Protein=104 Sodium=2,635 Sugar=57

The daily goal the app set for me
    Calories =2,710 Carbs=373 Fat=90 Protein=102 Sodium=2,500 Sugar=54

I don't want my body going into starvation mode but I feel good and well fed. I don't want to force my self to eat because that feels wrong.