Phentermine: Tips

Options

Replies

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Your profile says you want to be healthy for your child. The reason any prescription medicine requires a prescription is because it is dangerous and has potentially bad side effects.

I suggest you toss the pills and do it the old fashioned way. Artificially suppressing your appetite only works as long as you continue taking the pills. When you stop the pills you will most likely put it all back on plus more. Ever hear of yo-yo dieting? You are at the beginning of the cycle.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    My biggest tip with these pills are to not buy them. The only weight you lose is in your wallet.

sorry, not true.

phentermine is a clinically proven drug to assist in weight loss. It's an amphetamine.
    Um....

it is.

Phentermine, a contraction of "phenyl-tertiary-butylamine", is a psychostimulant drug of the substituted amphetamine chemical classes, with pharmacology similar to amphetamine. It is used medically as an appetite suppressant.

I wasn't disputing that it is, rather expressing concern that it is. Taking a derivative of amphetamine seems to be a rather extreme solution. What are the reported side effects of this weight-loss drug?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    My biggest tip with these pills are to not buy them. The only weight you lose is in your wallet.

sorry, not true.

phentermine is a clinically proven drug to assist in weight loss. It's an amphetamine.
    Um....

it is.

Phentermine, a contraction of "phenyl-tertiary-butylamine", is a psychostimulant drug of the substituted amphetamine chemical classes, with pharmacology similar to amphetamine. It is used medically as an appetite suppressant.

Yup.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Hello! I just started taking 37.5 phentermine pills and watching my diet and have lost 3lbs in 3 days. I am wondering if anyone is or has taken this and if there are any tips to help with the weight loss and get the most out if the pills. Any suggestions would be great! TIA

I was on it for three months because my thyroid problems make weight loss impossible. I did lose 10 pounds. I had no appetite at all the first week and tons of energy, but went pretty much back to normal after that, though it did continue helping my metabolism.

However, once you go off of it, things WILL go back to "normal," whatever that is for you. So my advice is to establish a routine, get into healthy habits and then STICK TO THEM when you go off. Assuming you have no medical issues that interfere with weight loss, you should be able to continue losing and do fine without the pills.

Personally, without my medical condition, I wouldn't have bothered with pills. Before thyroid problems, simply watching calories and exercising was all I needed to lose weight.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

sorry, not true.

Um....

it is.

I wasn't disputing that it is, rather expressing concern that it is. Taking a derivative of amphetamine seems to be a rather extreme solution. What are the reported side effects of this weight-loss drug?

The same typical side effects of other drugs of this type. You'll notice it's also very similar to many ADHD drugs.

"Dizziness, dry mouth, difficulty sleeping, irritability, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or constipation may occur. If these effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor or pharmacist promptly.

Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.

This medication may raise your blood pressure. Check your blood pressure regularly and tell your doctor if the results are high.

Tell your doctor right away if any of these unlikely but serious side effects occur: fast/irregular/pounding heartbeat, mental/mood changes (e.g., agitation, uncontrolled anger, hallucinations, nervousness), uncontrolled muscle movements, change in sexual ability/interest.

Stop taking this medication and seek immediate medical attention if any of these rare but very serious side effects occur: severe headache, slurred speech, seizure, weakness on one side of the body, vision changes (e.g., blurred vision).

This drug may rarely cause serious (sometimes fatal) lung or heart problems (pulmonary hypertension, heart valve problems). The risk increases with longer use of this medication and use of this drug along with other appetite-suppressant drugs/herbal products. If you notice any of the following unlikely but very serious side effects, stop taking this medication and consult your doctor or pharmacist right away: chest pain, difficulty breathing with exercise, decreased ability to exercise, fainting, swelling of the legs/ankles/feet."
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Be prepared for your appetite to come back with a vengeance once you come off the pills (you'll have to at some point. It's inevitable). You will be on your own again and will have to maintain the same eating habits as you did while you were on them, but without the benefit of a suppressed appetite. Good luck.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I was prescribed phentermine by a doctor who outright stated "I hate fat people." Guess what? I was a fat people, and the only thing that he would prescribe for me is drugs to get the weight off as fast as possible. He didn't get to the root of the problem (ultimately my weight was a side effect of emotional binge eating that I went to a therapist to work through). I thought I deserved to be hated because I was fat.
    Wow, that doctor sucks. He let his own BS get in the way of actually helping you, and instead inflicted more harm to your body and to your mental health.
    That just isn't true
    Of course it isn't. That doctor deserves to get his head kicked in.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Also realize that phentermine may show up positive for amphetamines on drug screening tests. Confirmatory tests *should* rule it out, but be prepared to carry your prescription with you if there is any chance you might undergo screening (for a job or anything like that).
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    My advice is to track what you eat and get into a routine while you're on it. It will definitely suppress your appetite. I was on them for a month, then my doc had me take a break for a week before going on them again. During that week my appetite came back full force. But since I was in a routine of eating healthy portions I didn't have an issue with continuing on my way. I lost 15lbs the first five weeks. If you can, talk to a nutritionist. Use this time to get active and in a healthy eating routine!

Yes, you may have to remind yourself to eat. I've started to do meal prep so that my meals are ready for me and I force myself to eat them. You may also want to take a multi vitamin if you're not already. Last, DRINK A LOT OF WATER! I get dry mouth so bad but it doesn't come on heavily if I'm drinking water regularly. Water will also help with any constipation side effect you may have and will keep you hydrated.
  • Kayy_Whitson
    Kayy_Whitson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the informative replies, I should've been clearer. I have had trouble losing weight even on a diet and have been working on my proportions and healthy lifestyle for a month before I started the pills. They are to help me start losing weight since I'm having trouble losing weight on my own since I am practically healthy. I'm currently a nursing student and have studied the drug and nutrition excessively before I decided to take it. I am just looking for ideas on tips to help jump start the weightloss. :)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the informative replies, I should've been clearer. I have had trouble losing weight even on a diet and have been working on my proportions and healthy lifestyle for a month before I started the pills. They are to help me start losing weight since I'm having trouble losing weight on my own since I am practically healthy. I'm currently a nursing student and have studied the drug and nutrition excessively before I decided to take it. I am just looking for ideas on tips to help jump start the weightloss. :)

To jumpstart weight loss, I would suggest weighing all solids (I even weigh oil) with a food scale and log every bite that goes into your mouth. Make sure you are not overestimating exercise calories, and be sure that you aren't using erroneous entries in the MFP database (thanks MFP users!).

The other thing, is try to be rationale about weight loss; it takes time, and you need to have reasonable expectations. The scale gives all sorts of information, but not all of it requires immediate action (if your weight jumps 3lbs in two days it's likely water weight). Look at trends over time, and give dietary changes 4-6 weeks before determining if they are working.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

What happens when you stop taking them?
  • xCalilove21x
    xCalilove21x Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Over the summer I was on Phentermine for about 3 months I lost around 25 pounds on them. Now that I am off them my appetite has come back but during those three months I was excercising 4-5 times a week and I taught myself portion control and what I should be eating. So initially when I got off the first week was tough I won't lie. You just have to continue to practice what you learn over the time you're on them. I continued on drinking half my body weight in water and going to the gym. I am now 49 pounds down in total. So yes maybe diet pills aren't the best way to go, but for me it gave me a jump start and it was sort of a training course for the rest of my weight loss journey. ;)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

What happens when you stop taking them?

She'll regain, likely. My endo said she has seen in Hashimoto's cases where the drug has helped reset the metabolism, which was why I tried it. And since going off, my weight gain has slowed, but the losing stopped and I did regain half the weight I lost. I'm just happy to not be gaining as quickly as I was before.

But it didn't fix me like I'd hoped, so I won't be going back on it. Maybe the OP will have better results.

• LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    I'm happy for that one chick who's been successful since coming off of the pills but how do people know there aren't going to be any heart issues down the line? The thought of that terrifies me enough to keep me away! And my favorite- if it worked so well why are there so many overweight people still?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

If you had trouble losing weight "even while on a diet" it's because you were not cutting enough calories. The way to jump start weight loss is to eat less than you burn. Be super accurate with your logging, try using a food scale, don't overestimate calories burned during exercise. You aren't broken, you're just not eating in a deficit.
  • Kayy_Whitson
    Options
    Over the summer I was on Phentermine for about 3 months I lost around 25 pounds on them. Now that I am off them my appetite has come back but during those three months I was excercising 4-5 times a week and I taught myself portion control and what I should be eating. So initially when I got off the first week was tough I won't lie. You just have to continue to practice what you learn over the time you're on them. I continued on drinking half my body weight in water and going to the gym. I am now 49 pounds down in total. So yes maybe diet pills aren't the best way to go, but for me it gave me a jump start and it was sort of a training course for the rest of my weight loss journey. ;)

That's exactly what I planned to do. I used to be a healthy weight before I had my daughter and just need the extra help to get a jumpstart. I only plan to take them for 2-3 months.
  • Kayy_Whitson
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    I'm happy for that one chick who's been successful since coming off of the pills but how do people know there aren't going to be any heart issues down the line? The thought of that terrifies me enough to keep me away! And my favorite- if it worked so well why are there so many overweight people still?

Some people don't have the mentality or have an underlying condition and will gain it back. If you are committed to a healthy lifestyle then I don't see why taking medicine to help jumpstart your loss.
  • SciranBG
    SciranBG Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I wasn't familiar with this drug so after a quick google search it appears to be a controlled prescription needed substance. Are all these people saying not to take it and that it doesn't work going against the advice of OP's doctor then?
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »

For me the risks of not losing weight outweigh the risks of taking the medicine. I think it's a personal decision based on what's going on with you and what your PCP believes will help.