My worst DOMS story, what are yours?

Options
So this is my first post ever! :) Thought it'd be kinda funny to share with you my experience this morning and to hear some of your stories.

On Tuesday I finally got the courage to try dead lifts. I organised one of the gym trainers to help correct my form, accurately estimate my fitness level and set up a training schedule for me. Now when I am being watched I like to impress people, so I agreed to more weights, faster speed on the treadmill and lower squats.

Well now I am paying for my ego confidence, I can barely make it up the stairs; heaven forbid I want to go back down them :s , my knees like to buckle every now and then too just to remind me of my cockiness.

Now you have the full back story; this morning on the bus to work at the 48hr DOMS peak, there was no space downstairs so I managed to just about hobble up to the top deck, found myself a seat at the back and slowly realised my mistake :/ I am currently writing this after being on the bus (which should take 15mins maximum) for an hour. I went back past my bus stop and then again back towards my work. With each long stop I struggled to drag myself up, move forward a little and collapse into a seat closer to the stairs. Seat by seat!

I also had to call work with a bus full of people to explain my idiocy and why I was late.

Then to top it off I had to bum shuffle red-faced down the bus stairs, shouting out to the driver to please wait for me terrified of another hour on the bus, with a nice little queue of people waiting to get on after what was left of my dignity me to get off.

I now appreciate my thigh muscles a lot more and how important they are to everyday movement, so I was wondering what other funny lessons people have learnt when getting back onto the exercise scene :D

Replies

• leeanne249
    leeanne249 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Being that sore that I was unable to get off the loo....having someone else wiped your lady bits and pull up your underwear is not dignified at all
  • NicolaMichelle93
    NicolaMichelle93 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    When you've just woken up, but you're legs aren't working after the leg session you put them through a few days ago. So you try to pull off some dignified ninja roll manoeuvre to get out of bed trying to use as few muscles as possible.

Also, leg DOMS + Ab DOMS is the worst combo ever when trying to get out of bed. When it hurts to lift your body combined with your legs refusing to bend/straighten, you get all sorts of inventive trying to work out how to move like an actual human :sweat_smile:
    Wierd to say that I miss getting DOMS, I rarely get them these days...
  • chickenpie
    chickenpie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    thanks for an amusing first post, it made me giggle a lot!

no terribly amusing stories, i did take a run to the post box the other night after a weighted leg workout... realised my legs were like jelly, am sure my neighbours thought i'd been at the gin......

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    That. Is. Totally. Awesome

:
    So this is my first post ever! :) Thought it'd be kinda funny to share with you my experience this morning and to hear some of your stories.

On Tuesday I finally got the courage to try dead lifts. I organised one of the gym trainers to help correct my form, accurately estimate my fitness level and set up a training schedule for me. Now when I am being watched I like to impress people, so I agreed to more weights, faster speed on the treadmill and lower squats.

Well now I am paying for my ego confidence, I can barely make it up the stairs; heaven forbid I want to go back down them :s , my knees like to buckle every now and then too just to remind me of my cockiness.

Now you have the full back story; this morning on the bus to work at the 48hr DOMS peak, there was no space downstairs so I managed to just about hobble up to the top deck, found myself a seat at the back and slowly realised my mistake :/ I am currently writing this after being on the bus (which should take 15mins maximum) for an hour. I went back past my bus stop and then again back towards my work. With each long stop I struggled to drag myself up, move forward a little and collapse into a seat closer to the stairs. Seat by seat!

I also had to call work with a bus full of people to explain my idiocy and why I was late.

Then to top it off I had to bum shuffle red-faced down the bus stairs, shouting out to the driver to please wait for me terrified of another hour on the bus, with a nice little queue of people waiting to get on after what was left of my dignity me to get off.

I now appreciate my thigh muscles a lot more and how important they are to everyday movement, so I was wondering what other funny lessons people have learnt when getting back onto the exercise scene :D

:bigsmile:
  • ScoobaChick
    ScoobaChick Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Congrats on learning to deadlift OP! It's an awesome exercise.

I remember going shopping for bathroom fixtures with my hubby the day after I re-started a lifting program following a year long hiatus. Because I know how to lift I probably went heavier than I should have and the next was hell. I remember shuffling around the bathroom tile store in dire pain trying to look chirpy so hubby didn't make fun of me. It was pure hell and he did end up making fun of me :( I was as graceful getting in and out of that car as the day I was about to give birth (sigh).

• CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I think you guys might be over doing it. The absolute worst I've ever had was the first time I tried snowboarding, and even then I just lost about 25% of my range of motion ( I couldn't put my arms over my head or squat down to pet the dog).

• lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Heavy squats = not being able to sit on the toilet the next day
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I did dead lifts yesterday, JUST the barbell, a couple hours later I was feeling it. (Where I'm suppose to, so yay for form) Getting on the toilet is a pathetic controlled fall. I'm stretching, which helps but I feel like it's gonna get worse before it gets better...
    OP, oh my gosh, that's epic DOMS!
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Also, leg DOMS + Ab DOMS is the worst combo ever when trying to get out of bed. When it hurts to lift your body combined with your legs refusing to bend/straighten, you get all sorts of inventive trying to work out how to move like an actual human :sweat_smile:

You are so right. Several times I've woken up and tried to rush out of bed to turn off the alarm just to fail in the attempt and lie there whimpering feebly.
  • efwww
    efwww Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    First time I trained my chest, i couldn't move my arms for a week :(
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    After running 100km, the next morning my legs were like lead. Even the smallest steps were almost surmountable

• sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    First time I did a CrossFit workout with mainly upper body - 99 pushups, 99 dumbbell overhead presses, etc., I couldn't lift my arms for five days. Not even a tiny bit. Couldn't wash my hair, brush my teeth, wipe my nose. It was ridiculous.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I had doms on my biceps a few times where i had to walk around like this all day:
    tumblr_m3bbu39uj91rrlox3o1_500.png

Couldn't pick things up off my desk or extend my arms at all. Tried to open a few pull doors and couldnt. :)
  • Devol82
    Devol82 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    After I have worked my legs I have definately been afraid to sit on the toilet with the fear I would not be able to get up lol
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    When there are multiple open stalls in the work restroom, but you have to wait for someone to get out of the handicap stall so you can use the handrails to assist you to the toilet...uggghhhh
  • AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    When I first started fitness in general, did a 200 push-up challenge one day with a buddy, 48 hour mark and I couldn't lift my arm up high enough to get a plastic cup from the kitchen cabinet.
  • susanmc31
    susanmc31 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    The next morning after one particularly hard leg day, I was going down the stairs and couldn't bend my leg enough which caused me to step onto the edge of the next step and I proceeded to fall down the stairs. This was at 4 in the morning. I had the biggest bruise on my butt and elbow from hitting so hard.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I work out in the morning before work, so I shower and get ready at the gym. My arms were shaking so badly one day that when I attempted to put on mascara in a locker room full of ladies (I’m fairly certain a group class had let out, because there were a lot more people than usual in there), I couldn’t raise the mascara brush to my eye. When I finally got it high enough, my arm started shaking so badly that instead of getting to my lashes, it started to spasm and I ended up with a thick black streak across my face, which considering how my arms were behaving, took a lot of work to then wash off. I looked like I was trying to rock the Left Eye look from TLC.
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My arms ride the struggle bus weekly. The first time I killed my triceps doing bodyweight dips - at 240lbs. Never.again. I couldn't move my arms at all for 4 days. I am still ANTI-DIP.

But this happens fairly often - After a strenuous arm workout, I'll grab a plastic cup for water, fill it and then drop it on the way to my mouth. It's like my hand just can't grasp the cup. The gym owner and my trainer laugh every time and give me a "low-5" for a good work out.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Excellent DOMS story. I enjoyed it thoroughly!