Has this happened to anyone?

Options
I'm a bit confused. I've already lost over 100lbs in the last 2 years. But the last year, I'm not as strict with my calories like I used to be. So I've eaten junk food a lot more than I used to. Obviously, I knew I gained weight. I go to the gym at least 5x a week. Weight training and cardio. At least once a weekend I either have an intense workout or workout more and end up burnin about 1,000 calories according to my polar watch.
So here's my issue, I have been told recently that I look like I've lost weight... These aren't coming from people that just want to compliment me. I know they wouldn't say anything if I gained weight or looked the same but I jump on the scale and I've gained 6lbs.
I know muscle weighs more than fat BUT can you look smaller and still gain weight? I take classes which includes a tabata class that's intense and a weight class that definitely is toning my arms and legs. So I wonder if the gain is in my stomach - maybe my upper and lower body are getting smaller...? Is that possible??

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    do you keep track of your measurements?

muscle does not weigh more than fat, it simply occupies less space.
  • joeyzuraski
    joeyzuraski Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Generally I'm more worried of fat percentage than weight these days. You can be 6 lbs heavier but look at the percentage to see the amount of fat which takes a toll on the body.3zsgtsyszn3j.png
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Take body measurements with a tape measure.
  • Helloidentitycrisis
    Options
    1lb of muscle is around half the size of 1lb of fat. You've probably gained muscle and possibly even lost fat too if you are working out hard! I'm losing at the moment but I lift intense and heavy 3-5x a week so even though I only lost 0.6lb last week I lost inches all over (except for my gigantic butt haha).

Be happy that you're a fitter you!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    How are your clothes fitting?

And yes possible to recomp at maintenance and look different particularly with progressive resistance work
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    After I reached my goal, my weight did go up slightly while my measurements continued to drop. But now I am fairly stable, and any increase in weight is reflected by an increase in inches!