Good Days/Bad Days

Options
jame0529
jame0529 Posts: 30 Member
edited February 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm finding it very difficult to be consistent and stick to my calories every day. I'm sticking around 1250 which I think is good for me - I can eat healthy and I never feel hungry. Some days I'm so on point, no temptation could set me off track. Then I'll have a couple of days a week where I just CAN'T.STOP.EATING. And it's not because I'm hungry, it's because I'm bored or stressed, or there is just food in front of me that I can't resist. Then after I eat like crap all day, I skip the gym because I feel gross and just want to go home and be lazy, which is the last thing I should be doing. Does anyone else have this issue? What do you do on those days where you can just see it coming that it's going to be a rough one. Sometimes it's just nice to know that I'm not the only one who goes through this.

Replies

• Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. You have to let yourself be human. Think about your calorie budget on a weekly basis. The good days can outweigh the bad. Yesterday, I "accidentally" ate a 1200 calorie lunch. I went to a restaurant and had what I thought was a low-cal lunch combo. I returned home to look up the calories and found that it was WAY more than I thought! Oops! Oh well. I went to the gym and worked off some of those. But hey, we all have good and bad days. If you're new to this, sometimes it's just a matter of getting used to eating at a certain calorie level. Keep on keeping on and don't be too hard on yourself. This is why it's a JOURNEY, not a quick road trip!!
  • jame0529
    Options
    The sad thing is, I'm not new to this. Right after college I did weight watchers and I lost about 60 lbs. I kept it off for about 5 years, and then life happened. It's never been easy for me, but I know I can do it. I guess that's what I have to keep telling myself! Thanks for relating!
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Thats the thing about life - it keeps happening! If you recognize the cycle, and it seems like you do from what you wrote, then you can find a way to break it at some point - either before you spiral into an eating frenzy (do something about the stressors or the boredom - have a Plan for those days) or after the feast (get to the gym regardless of how you feel)

You can learn something about yourself from every setback, so in that regard, even an off day can be of some benefit!

Good luck!
  • jame0529
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    Thats the thing about life - it keeps happening! If you recognize the cycle, and it seems like you do from what you wrote, then you can find a way to break it at some point - either before you spiral into an eating frenzy (do something about the stressors or the boredom - have a Plan for those days) or after the feast (get to the gym regardless of how you feel)

You can learn something about yourself from every setback, so in that regard, even an off day can be of some benefit!

Good luck!

Thanks! Maybe I should start journaling...
  • ridderal
    ridderal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You're totally not alone. I'm in the same boat as you - lost a load of weight a few years ago and let it creep back on. And honestly most of it probably came from stress eating or boredom. The past few months logging everyday has helped keep me accountable since I decided no matter if I'm having a good eating day or a bad one, I log it all and I'm honest with myself.

I also noticed there's times of days when I'm more likely to overeat, usually right when I get home from work and I'm stressed and want comfort. To keep myself from coming home, putting on netflix, and binging a whole bag of chips I do one of two things: I either work out immediately after work or put something in the slow cooker for me to come home to. That way I'm either pooped from busting myself at the gym or I have no excuse but to eat a delicious (and often nutritious and lower calorie) dinner. If neither of those are options, I don't let myself sit down until I've prepped a snack or dinner consciously. Somehow sitting down translates to "let's pig out" in my brain.

Feel free to add me, my diary is open to friends and I'm set up to eat 1200 cal/day. :)