Understanding if I'm improving : Digifit Zones, max HR, Resting pulse etc..

Hi guys,

I'm trying to understand if my cardio is actually getting any better and I know I should be able to figure that out by doing fitness assessments with Digifit, but I'm confused with the results...

For instance does it prove that my cardio is getting better or worse if:
- my resting pulse rate is getting lower
- my max heart rate is getting higher
- at each new fitness assessment I notice that all the "HR zones" are getting higher (for exemple zone 5 used to be 156-167, three months later it was 161-179)

The app does register all these precious information, but I dont understand if my cardio is getting better (which I guess would imply that I burn less and less calories for a same amount of effort).

Am I getting this right?

Thanks for your help!
Kim

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Resting heartrate lower? Yes, you are more fit. The rest doesn't seem right (accurate). You max heart rate will not increase. If it does, the original number was wrong. How did you determine the original number?

The zones are based on the max heart rate so it makes sense they change with the max hr change.

I admittedly know very little about Digifit so hopefully this makes sense.

You will not burn fewer calories as you get fitter (based on your heart rate). You will burn fewer as you get lighter, but that is a good thing. :) The best indicator of fitness is this. Can you do the same exercise for the same time with a lower heart rate? Can you do the same exercise at a higher pace while without your average heart rate increasing? These are both good indicators at the beginning of your journey.