How long does it take you to lose the weekend weight?

Options
I tend to always gain a few pounds over the weekend but then lose it right away within a day or two as I know it's mostly water. I'm up over 5 pounds from this past weekend and it's sticking to me like glue! Granted, I ate fast food the past few days but I didn't go over my calorie or carb goals and I've been drinking a lot of water. Not sure what is going on this time around but I'm definitely going to have a big gain this week and I'm bummed.

I know a lot of you also gain a few over the weekend, how long until it drops off?

Replies

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I tend to always gain a few pounds over the weekend but then lose it right away within a day or two as I know it's mostly water. I'm up over 5 pounds from this past weekend and it's sticking to me like glue! Granted, I ate fast food the past few days but I didn't go over my calorie or carb goals and I've been drinking a lot of water. Not sure what is going on this time around but I'm definitely going to have a big gain this week and I'm bummed.

I know a lot of you also gain a few over the weekend, how long until it drops off?

I'm in almost the same boat. Gained 4 lbs over the weekend and it's not leaving. I'm trying not to let it get to me, as I know that I didn't eat 3,500 x 4 calories extra this weekend, but I definitely relate to the temptation to feel bummed.

Typically, I shed this weight by Tuesday. This week, it's still going up. I'm going to temporarily blame a major pressure drop in our area and hormones for the lack of stabilization. Hopefully, we'll both whoosh it out soon!
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    It just depends. Where are you in your cycle? My weekend weight holds on MUCH longer in the week or so after my period. Once I started noticing trends in my weight loss/gain during my cycle, things were a lot easier.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I've switched from logging my weekly weigh-ins from Monday to Wednesday or Thursday, as I've found that it takes a few days for me to get rid of that weekend weight. Usually by Wednesday it's gone, but occasionally the scale won't budge until Thursday.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't usually have this issue...when I do it takes about a day.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Totally depends for me. Usually my weight gain is due to too much sodium in my diet over the weekend, which only takes me 2 days or so to shed. If it's "true" weight, closer to a week.
  • lucy_girl
    lucy_girl Posts: 22 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I went up for the first time since starting to log and exercise a month ago and it hasn't come off in 4 or 5 days. It is SO frustrating! I don't expect a straight line down, but... Well, maybe I do... Normally I weigh in on Fridays but I can't help jumping on the scale every day.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

I don't gain on the weekends. It's much easier that way. There is no reason why what I eat on weekends should go over my calories for the day. If I want a glass (or two or three) of wine on weekends, I compromise with calories elsewhere (i.e., a burger for dinner on Saturday night is fine, but maybe a salad instead of fries).
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I weigh and track daily, so I can always have the reassurance easily visible that those peaks do fall and a weeks worth of up and down are soon to be followed by a whoosh. For me, there's a difference between "knowing" and the visible evidence in the progress graph and weekly tracking doesn't give me enough data points to visualize it.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Every weekend? That would be a problem. That would be wiping out any weight loss during the week by eating too much on the weekend.

That said, if I go over my calories by a lot (which definitely isn't every weekend) it will take 1-3 days usually to drop back down. If it takes longer than that, I know I put on fat not just water.
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    Every weekend? That would be a problem. That would be wiping out any weight loss during the week by eating too much on the weekend.

That said, if I go over my calories by a lot (which definitely isn't every weekend) it will take 1-3 days usually to drop back down. If it takes longer than that, I know I put on fat not just water.

I don't gain 5 pounds every weekend but I can rarely get through a weekend without some kind of gain. I never weigh the same on Monday morning as what I weighed on Friday.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    I got to the point where I had to join MFP because I gained weight each weekend. Too much eating! :lol:

Now, if I gain weight on the weekend, it is maybe about 500 grams of exercise-induced water weight, and it is gone by Tuesday. Then I continue to lose more weight during the week.
  • chimaerandi
    chimaerandi Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I bank for the weekends, so I almost always see Monday as my highest weight. It's usually gone by Tuesday or Wednesday, but at certain times in my cycle, it'll hang on longer.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options

I don't gain 5 pounds every weekend but I can rarely get through a weekend without some kind of gain. I never weigh the same on Monday morning as what I weighed on Friday.

Well this was me a couple years ago and I had trouble losing weight consistently. Because I was eating my weekday deficit on the weekends. It didn't help that of course the weekend starts Friday night, so it was 4 days of 'okay' eating and 3 days of high calorie eating. Sure not as high as when I wasn't watching, but still enough I wasn't losing the weight. Just pointing that out, it's okay to eat more on weekends but it's also important to make sure it isn't undoing all your week day work!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Sunday morning. I don't have weekend weight gain. I log and stick to my calorie goal even on the weekend.
    I do have a couple pound gain with my period and that goes away by the next week. So if it is water retention showing up on the scale a few days to a week to go away maybe.
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I weigh myself every Sunday morning. I don't have weekend weight gain. I log and stick to my calorie goal even on the weekend.
    I do have a couple pound gain with my period and that goes away by the next week. So if it is water retention showing up on the scale a few days to a week to go away maybe.

I give you a lot of credit. I have such a hard time on the weekends.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

I give you a lot of credit. I have such a hard time on the weekends.

I treat weekends no different than weekdays. For me, building and reinforcing the habits that produce results was my priority and only practicing those habits in 5 day spurts I think would make it harder to create the habit mentally.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    0 days because I follow the same eating plan on weekends as during the week.
  • keepupwithjack
    keepupwithjack Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Fast food has a lot of sodium. That could give you water weight gain.

Is this a sustainable long term strategy? I keep preaching to myself that it's not about scale numbers, it's about changing my relationship with food.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Typically I'm back down to my "normal" weight by Wednesday. However, this week I'm also holding onto a couple pounds. Possibly due to me just having my period.
  • dollydiva2
    dollydiva2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My weekend (booze) bloat is normally gone by Wednesday.
    I'm not getting on the scales on a Monday anymore.