Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Common Sense and Weight Loss/Nutrition

Options
missyfitz1
missyfitz1 Posts: 93 Member
I just want to say that I have never seen a community whose general knowledge and advice is so rooted in common sense and rational conclusions. I have found that so much information out there about weight loss and nutrition is based on misinformation and generally accepted falsehoods, even coming from nutritionists and others in health-based professionals. I had some weight loss success with Weight Watchers, but the amount of crappy info that was pushed by other members in meetings and forums, including meeting leaders, created endless frustration for me. I am really enjoying reading the threads in here and the common sense is so refreshing! Thank you to everyone who contributes, and I look forward to interacting more!

Replies

• Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons, I think, is because a lot of us here have fallen for diet fads, tried them, and failed. Then we started really educating ourselves and found out what really works. I love reading the threads here and have never learned so much from anywhere. Again, it's people's personal experiences that are the teachers, and it's great!
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    In these forums? What?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    In these forums? What?

:laugh:
  • missyfitz1
    Options
    Haha, obviously there are differences of opinion, and there are definitely people whose common sense I would question. But in general, I am finding a lot more people who look at things from a much more objective perspective than I'm used to. I am finding that my way of thinking is much more in line with the general consensus here than I have found in other forums.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Good for you for being able to see past the occasional snark and ..ahem...sarcasm and get to the good stuff. Those of us who've been around awhile tend to have little patience on the boards sometimes, but there's a lot of good information floating around if you can ignore us grouches :wink:
  • missyfitz1
    Options
    Good for you for being able to see past the occasional snark and ..ahem...sarcasm and get to the good stuff. Those of us who've been around awhile tend to have little patience on the boards sometimes, but there's a lot of good information floating around if you can ignore us grouches :wink:

I appreciate the snark! Sarcasm is my love language too! :smile:
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    That's one of the things we really try to work towards here. So many people have fallen for so many woo/fad diets and failed looking for a quick fix. It's a hard lesson to learn that there is no 'quick fix' for weight loss. Sadly, there are still people that swear by the woo/fad diets. All we can do is give them the information they need to make an informed decision and let them make up their own minds.

And yes, sarcasm is a second language around here. So is 'tough love'. ^_^
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I am endlessly grateful to the people who have stuck around to help new people cut through the BS that is endlessly put forward by the diet industry. I was recently completing a paper on how the media portrays obesity, nutrition, and health. It is really hard to write objectively about something when you roll your eyes reading it. There is so much misinformation, that I can understand why people come here so confused. So yes, big hats off to those who are still here to help those who are struggling with all the nonsense out there.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thanks. It's refreshing to hear your point of view. There are alot of people with distorted ideas about weight loss. Opinions differ on MFP but that's what keeps the boards alive. So many "vets" on here are knowlegeable and don't get enough praise for the time they put in against woo. Those who are offended need to take a good look at their ideas and open up to a new approach--it just might work better than what they're doing now.
This discussion has been closed.