Compliments -- Pass them on :-)

Options
So this actually happened on Monday but it still makes me smile. I was at the gym and ran into a few friends I hadn't seen in quite awhile (our schedules never match up anymore, so this was the first time we'd been at the gym at the same time!) and they both asked me how much weight I'd lost because it was noticable I'd gotten smaller.... Gotta love running into people who haven't seen you in awhile :-)

After struggling with a months long plateau and yo-yoing back and forth for like a year, I have lost 18 lbs since February. It's been slow and steady and sometimes non existent but hey, that's 18 lbs I won't see again!

And that's not the end of the story, either. When I got to my toning class, another friend who hadn't been there in a couple weeks commented as well. She said, "Have you lost weight? It looks like you've lost some weight since I last saw you."

So even though it's been a tough week, their compliments have stuck with me and have kept me going.

Replies

• ErinGiam
    ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on staying dedicated to becoming a healthier you!
    Second off, compliments always make my day. It could be something as simple as, you smell good! But to have people finally notice all of the hard work you have put into getting healthier and losing weight, well that makes it more worth it! :smile:
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

It's easy ot get discouraged but all it takes is a few nice words and it's back to "I can do it!"
  • tissyazd
    tissyazd Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I agree!! I LOVE compliments! It could be your sweet, I like your top, your hair looks nice, your daughter is too cute (I love that one!!) you look like you lost weight! The littlest compliment feels soooo good! I found with my friends that they are non existent anymore. I think that people have so many issues with themselves they can't stand to make someone else feel better. I try to compliment as much as I can, but knowing how good it makes me feel, I am going to try to do it more often and hopefully it will catch on!!
  • dwcassady
    dwcassady Posts: 3
    Options
    that is always nice to see people and they realize the progress you've made. :-D

From what I understand, plateus are caused because our bodies, as they get lighter, burn less calories. So you have to eat less and/or do more exercise to keep the process going.

Plus, from what I understand, the body gets used to exercise and it doesn't break down/rebuild as its not being challenged, so we have to increase the intensity to continue building those muscles and cardiovascular health.

So plateus in fat loss, muscle building, and cardiovascular health.

Also, the more muscle you have, the more calories your body uses. So its always good to do some exercises that build muscle.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Compliments given or received make both people feel great! :heart: