Do you eat just because you can?

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I love coming in 500 calorie under target. I eat enough calories but work them all off. Eating too close to bedtime will turn calories into fat like nothing else.

Thats a myth, and a bad choice... It doesn't matter when you eat, and you shouldn't come that low in your calories. Are you new?

Just did a little research and it looks like it is, in fact, totally a myth.
    My bad
    And for the second time today I've seen someone on MFP listen, consider, analyze, and change positions like a rational adult based on new information and critical thinking. What kind of witchcraft be this?

End of the world?
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I love coming in 500 calorie under target. I eat enough calories but work them all off. Eating too close to bedtime will turn calories into fat like nothing else.

Thats a myth, and a bad choice... It doesn't matter when you eat, and you shouldn't come that low in your calories. Are you new?

My bad

great. no problem now go look into net cals. you wanna do this right.

Links?
    I just lowered my activity from active to lightly active, which I think is probably more accurate, and am now 381 under instead of 550. Is this an acceptable variance?
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options

My bad

The more you get into the forums the more you'll see how much easier this will be on you... so many myths out there that make things a lot harder than they need to be... That's what made me think you may be new :) Its a learning process, learning net cals, learning about the myths, learning that its ok to eat what you want (within moderation) ect.
  • scottaworley
    Options

My bad
    t The more you get into the forums the more you'll see how much easier this will be on you... so many myths out there that make things a lot harder than they need to be... That's what made me think you may be new :) Its a learning process, learning net cals, learning about the myths, learning that its ok to eat what you want (within moderation) ect.

What I'm mainly worried about with eating too much is having blood sugar spikes. I had them increasingly for the past year, but when I started working out and eating better and more often I have noticed that my blood sugar is more stable.
  • scottaworley
    Options
    Sorry to highjack OP! I'm done now, promise.
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I was 500 under at ten, so I had a bowl of corn pops and some nice cold milk. I'm now 200 or so under, more than I'd like but I'll just deal with that. Maybe go a little over tomorrow.

yummm, corn pops
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    It depends. If I anticipate an extremely high day I dont eat my extra calories. I make sure to get no less than 1200 though. But if I have some left over and I am satisfied, I will just leave it be.
  • operation_cute
    Options

My bad
    t The more you get into the forums the more you'll see how much easier this will be on you... so many myths out there that make things a lot harder than they need to be... That's what made me think you may be new :) Its a learning process, learning net cals, learning about the myths, learning that its ok to eat what you want (within moderation) ect.

What I'm mainly worried about with eating too much is having blood sugar spikes. I had them increasingly for the past year, but when I started working out and eating better and more often I have noticed that my blood sugar is more stable.

You'll notice your blood sugar getting better and better as you progress :) my boyfriend has slightly high blood pressure, after working out for just a month and watching more of what he eats his blood pressure is within the "safe" mode :) and will probably continue to get better, other weight related issues have the same effect :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I feel like I've seen bigfoot.
  • operation_cute
    Options
    Sorry to highjack OP! I'm done now, promise.

The Op is on my friends list and is very nice :) I'm sure she has no problem with you asking questions, getting advice, and learning out of her forum post :flowerforyou:
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    it's my calorie goal. if i'm hungry or not. I'm hitting my goal.
    More importantly, hit my protein while staying near my calorie goal.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat just because I can. If I have calories left over and I am hungry I eat. If I am not hungry I don't. By not hungry I mean if I ate anymore it would make me cry, I am not going to hurt myself trying to eat more. Tonight I was still hungry after I ate dinner so I made a quick protein smoothie and now I am good.
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I am trying to learn to listen to my body's hunger signals, so if I have extra calories and I'm not hungry I won't eat. If I'm hungry, I'll eat.
    If your body's hunger signals were accurate you wouldn't be fat in the first place.
    I'm not sure I agree. I believe it can be an effective strategy to try and train your brain to recognize the difference between physical hunger and emotional need (need for control/perfectionism, need for love/self-soothing, boredom, etc.) and to only use food to fulfill for actual nutritional need and not other needs.

I'm reading The Beck Diet Solution right now and Dr. Judith Beck prescribes cognitive behavior therapy exercises designed to help one recognize this distinction.
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I don't eat past 7:00 pm. I know that people will disagree with me BUT if my body is busy digesting the food, it cannot get the rest it needs. I'm not sure if anyone else can feel it when their digesting food but it sometimes will keep me awake at night if I do eat in the evening. I'm a creature of habit though, I eat at certain times each day except on weekends which most of the time I usually forget to eat and will make bad choices. I try to eat all of my calories. I do have a rule of thumb though, its that I look at my calories over the course of the week more than on any individual day. I personally think weight loss is a long term thing.
  • mlfrailing
    mlfrailing Posts: 79
    Options
    Only if I'm hungry, wide awake, and have some calories left. If I'm not hungry, I will try not to eat. BTW, overcoming that is probably the hardest thing for me.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    I am trying to learn to listen to my body's hunger signals, so if I have extra calories and I'm not hungry I won't eat. If I'm hungry, I'll eat.

If your body's hunger signals were accurate you wouldn't be fat in the first place.

Unfortunately there are way too many variables that affect one's hunger.

Words that pierce like an arrow, a straight true arrow.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

No, that's not how it works. You can eat any time of day or night so long as you create a calorie deficit adequate to lose weight.
  • chrisloveslife
    chrisloveslife Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm going to have some calories left, I'll eat a little more at dinner. I usually don't eat right before bed just to use up calories. I'm usually proud of myself just for having some calories left that I didn't eat.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

Not at all.
  • BurningAway
    BurningAway Posts: 279
    Options

Unfortunately there are way too many variables that affect one's hunger.

Lmfao lmfao lmfao