Intermittent Fasting, weird schedule and insulin sensitivity.

Options
Hello! I'm quite new to the online fitness world, but I've always been pretty healthy. My main problem is that I've always been super skinny no matter what I do, so I'm looking to change up my routine to gain some muscle instead of just being skinny and toned. I heard about intermittent fasting not too long ago and I'd like to implement that into my life, but I'm wondering when the best time to work out is and if I'd be messing up the fast if I had a morning juice (which is what I've been doing for the past few weeks.) I work 11:30-8PM so my schedule is kinda wonky. I'm aiming to go to sleep at 11-12 every night and wake up at 7-8, and I'd like to drink a couple cups of Lemon Ginger Blast every morning right after waking to get some energy, then I drink espresso afterwards, probably at 9:30 or 10. I eat my first meal at 2-3 and second at 8:30-9:30 My main concern is that drinking this will screw up my insulin production, because that has been my main problem. I'm pretty sure that totally messed up my insulin resistance a while ago when I was trying IF because my goto food was whole wheat grainy foods, like english muffins, bread, and bagels, all of which usually had peanut butter, coconut oil and honey on them. Another issue related to insulin resistance that I've had is acne, thats why I've severely reduced the amount of grains in my diet, now only having a snack with wheat in it every now and then. So my main question is, will I be causing a lapse in my fast that is detrimental to insulin sensitivity if I consume my morning juice? Also when would be the best time to work out, either in the morning in a fasted state or right after I get home which would be in the middle of my feeding window?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    1. IRT Insulin Resistance. If you have IR, drinking a very carb heavy drink, is not going to be a good idea. Generally, with IR, you want to minimize the amount of carbs you take in and when you do take in carbs, it should be combined with fiber (to slow absorption) and probably mixed with proteins to help slow digestion.

2. There is no best time to work out. Work out when it fits your schedule. I know I can't workout fasted but some find it beneficial.

3. IRT Interim Fasting. If you are struggling to gain weight, following IF might not be a good idea as it limits the amount of meals that one consumes and many people will struggle to get enough calories in such a short period of time. And outside of dietary preference, there isn't going to be much benefit of IF. Albeit, I haven't seen many studies in relation to how IF can effect IR. But if you like the eating pattern, that will be fine, but make sure you eat a lot of calorie dense foods (this list can help) so you can meet your calorie goals

4. You didn't ask this, but it may be beneficial. Since you are going to need to follow a lower carb diet (to keep your IR under control), the timing of nutrients will become slightly more important. Since carbs are very beneficial during a bulk, it would probably be suggested to eat the predominance of your carbs before or after a workout.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    You should consult a healthcare professional before you end up in dka or hypoglycemic crisis, both of which are dangerous.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    You don't need permission from anyone as to how you want to do this. If however you want to schedule your calorie consumption works for you, go for it. Pick and choose what parts of IF you like and leave out the parts you don't.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic and fast from 1600-0800 Friday, Saturday and Sundays to burn FAT and not sugar. I do two workouts during the time to increase the fat burn. When I do it carbs, I always eat a hand full of protein, like nuts, with them to slow their impact on my blood sugar. So I think that drinking that carb beverage during your fast undermines the fat burn.