running and not losing weight - even gaining...

Options
I'm training for a half marathon. Longest run so far has been 11 miles but I normally average 6 miles, four times a week. And today I stepped on the scale and have gained 1kg... :/ what's going on?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Do you log your calories?
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're either not tracking your calories, or tracking them incorrectly. Running distances like that burn a ton of calories, so that's not the issue.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately upping your mileage makes you hungry, so it's pretty easy to accidentally eat more than you need when you're running a lot if you don't track carefully. It's very easy to think you're doing the same as ever but have your portions creep upwards.

Your muscles can also end up storing a bit more water etc. for repair when you're increasing exercise, and that can account for a pound or two with some people for sure.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Running burns lots of calories, which is great. But it doesn't negate eating more calories than you burn. Running can also lead to "runger", which can cause your appetite to exceed the extra calories required. Apparently it's not uncommon for marathon runners to gain weight during training.
    Good luck with your half. I have my first in a couple weeks, and am monitoring my intake to ensure I don't overeat.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a half and have gained about that, maybe a bit more. My appetite really ramps up when my runs get over 10 miles. My runs burn between 700 and 1100 calories depending on intensity and length, but I can eat those back and more VERY easily.
    Could also be water retention from sore muscles.
  • torsaer
    torsaer Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your replies. Yes, I do log, but I'm thinking I need to be much more vigilant. I ran a half a few years ago and lost quite a bit of weight, particularly as I upped the mileage. Perhaps my body is just getting used to running... I'm also thinking I need to add some weight training in as I'm worried that running will cause me to lose muscle?
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Guys could The increase of 1kg be in relation to building muscle mass if OP is adding a strength training session(s) or simply gaining muscle mass from running?
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT
    RUN_LIFT_EAT Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    ironhajee wrote: »
    Guys could The increase of 1kg be in relation to building muscle mass if OP is adding a strength training session(s) or simply gaining muscle mass from running?

Would need to be eating a calorie surplus to gain weight (fat/muscle), correct?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    The first time I trained for a marathon I was surprised to find that I ended up gaining a few pounds. I wasn't logging or even paying attention to my calories at that time. I'm pretty certain I gained because I was burning a ton of calories in training AND then overeating to make up for it. Since then, I have logged my food during training and never had a problem. My weight stays right where I want it. :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,148 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have heard, and the is purely anecdotal, from people who were training for and then ran a marathon. Many did not lose anything through their training, and losses didn't start again until after the race. Tighten up your logging, that may help. Also, there may be a certain amount of water weight due to the increased stress you are putting your body under.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    If you are tight with your logging, the weight gain can be due to a build up of fluid whilst you're increasing your mileage. THe fluid builds up around your joints to protect them whilst they're getting used to the extra impact. I find whenever I take a short break from running (about a week) after I've spent some increasing my distance, I automatically drop a kg or so over a few days.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    torsaer wrote: »
    Thank you so much for your replies. Yes, I do log, but I'm thinking I need to be much more vigilant. I ran a half a few years ago and lost quite a bit of weight, particularly as I upped the mileage. Perhaps my body is just getting used to running... I'm also thinking I need to add some weight training in as I'm worried that running will cause me to lose muscle?

That's a myth. You won't lose muscle mass just from running. Actually, doing some cardio/endurance program will prevent as much muscle loss than if you did nothing. However, you could still be losing muscle mass if you are losing weight, it just wouldn't be caused by the running. Lifting is a lot better at maintaining muscle than running, be sure you are getting enough protein.
  • Wytcher9
    Wytcher9 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Watching your calories is essential, but important to remember that muscle weighs more than fat. I am just as scale focused, but find that it helps my morale to try on a smaller size pair of jeans and feel how much looser it fits weekly. I did the dance of joy on the morning I could easily into a smaller size.
  • tgilmore16
    tgilmore16 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    A little core training can help. Now that you're running higher mileage it is easier to let your form slip as you tire on those long runs.
  • VibrantAnnette
    VibrantAnnette Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Run baby run! I ran competitively too, in the top 1% women runners in the nation in the 90s. Forget about the scale you're already skinny. Be sure you get the right calories and nutrition. Add upper body workouts for muscle tone, rowing or weight training is gr8 compliment. and be sure to stretch a lot in your lower body. Running builds great balanced muscles in your lower body and abs.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Give me an example of a distance of run, body weight, and amount of calories you logged for running. I will be able to tell you if you are accurate.

Also when I ran 6-18 miles everyday for 9 months straight, my weight would fluctuate 10lbs sometimes at 210lb body weight.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have heard, and the is purely anecdotal, from people who were training for and then ran a marathon. Many did not lose anything through their training, and losses didn't start again until after the race. Tighten up your logging, that may help.

I have heard that too. I recently started upping my running distance a little and I got so hungry that I read up on it a bit. It seems to be pretty common to gain weight during race training if not really careful about logging. Most people just get super hungry from it. And you also want to feed your body well since it needs to recover, so you really have to be on point about your nutrition to get the best results.
  • torsaer
    torsaer Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Give me an example of a distance of run, body weight, and amount of calories you logged for running. I will be able to tell you if you are accurate.

Also when I ran 6-18 miles everyday for 9 months straight, my weight would fluctuate 10lbs sometimes at 210lb body weight.

Recently I ran 6 miles in 55 minutes, runkeeper told me I'd burnt 619 calories. I'm 59 kg. and 160cm (5 ft 3)
  • KristiMMM
    KristiMMM Posts: 51 Member
    Options

I feel ya, lady. Ive been running for 7 years and, unfortunately, my body has adapted to running and it doesn't burn calories as much as it did when I first started running. The weight just fell off when I first started running! Now I've really plateaued and I know I gotta switch it up and "shock" my body. So Im incorporating two days of strength and I have switched one of my running days to a hill interval training day to hopefully build more strength and speed (: Good luck torsaer!
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Recently I ran 6 miles in 55 minutes, runkeeper told me I'd burnt 619 calories. I'm 59 kg. and 160cm (5 ft 3)

10km @ 59kg -> 1cal/kg/km -> 590cal - so close enough.