How do you feel about bagged salad?

Options
With the recent recalls of bagged salad/lettuce, do you still eat it? I purchased it at least once a week, maybe more but am hesitant to do so.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I thought there was only one recall. I don't know. I get down with bagged salad. I eat the whole bag for lunch about 3x per week.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I eat them occasionally and always wonder if I picked the "bad" bag. They are easy and sometimes I get tired of the washing and chopping.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I eat bagged salad almost every day. I do realize it seems to be a somewhat risky product, but for me the risk is worth the convenience.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm fine with it. I figure that after a recall is probably the safest time to buy, because everyone is on such high alert. I also figure the same thing could happen with any produce/food and worrying about it because it happened once is too much worry for me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm still buying them.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I find them a bit too expensive so I don't buy them often. I can get a whole head of romaine for $2 or a head of iceberg for $1. I can chop, wash, and spin dry it pretty quickly.

If I'm at Sam's club I can get a huge bag of salad mix for pretty cheap, but I really have to be honest with myself if I'll actually eat it all before it goes bad. I hate wasting food.

I will admit the convenience of bagged salad is pretty great.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I think washing lettuce is one of my least favorite things. Comes close to going to the post office and the laundry mat.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I like trader joes organic baby spinach in a bag, it's quick easy and fresh.
    I've never had a problem with it.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    15 years ago I got ecoli from bagged salad. I steer clear of that.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    You couldn't pay me to eat that stuff anymore; the last time I tried it, the salad tasted and smelled like the bag...it was HORRIBLE! I'd much rather take the 8 minutes and chop my veggies.
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    I think I'm going to stay away for the bagged salad for a while even though I love the convenience. Maybe fresh lettuce will last me a bit longer than the bagged stuff.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to stay away for the bagged salad for a while even though I love the convenience. Maybe fresh lettuce will last me a bit longer than the bagged stuff.

It would probably take total 10 minutes to chop, wash, dry lettuce...chop tomato, cucumbers, peppers. They say if you chop your lettuce long before you plan to use it, it does last longer...believe me, once you do it a few times, bagged salad will never taste the same again, convenient or not :)
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    On the recall, conspiracy theory - There was a recall on bagged salad here in Australia (with a number of cases of Salmonella reported) at the same time as in the USA, yet both recalls pertained to farms which were allegedly local to the areas of recall. So where's our food really coming from?
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I buy spinach and arugula bagged but I get heads of lettuce and wash and chop them myself - love my spinner. I'm lucky I can find a nice variety of whole head lettuce here.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    On the recall, conspiracy theory - There was a recall on bagged salad here in Australia (with a number of cases of Salmonella reported) at the same time as in the USA, yet both recalls pertained to farms which were allegedly local to the areas of recall. So where's our food really coming from?

Can local sources not get contaminated?
  • ddavenport63
    ddavenport63 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i still buy it i love it and i agree with Aritariel its probably safer now .
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    xLyric wrote: »

My (somewhat tongue in cheek) point being that there were 2 large recalls of 'local' produce on opposite sides of the globe, for the same reason, at the same time.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    xLyric wrote: »

My (somewhat tongue in cheek) point being that there were 2 large recalls of 'local' produce on opposite sides of the globe, for the same reason, at the same time.

In other words, "Woosh." I'm bad enough at recognizing jokes/sarcasm in person as it is, I don't know who let me on the internet, haha.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I used to buy bagged salads. I have not, though, in a couple of years. I bought them for the convenience, but decided that I really like buying lettuce and other vegetables myself. It seems, in my case, that the bagged lettuce went "bad" sooner than "fresh".

During the summer, I buy all of my vegetables and fruits at a farm about 1/4 mile from my house. I love living in a big city, with farmland that is still close by. :smile: mgc9ss9589d9.jpg
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    pdxwine wrote: »
    I used to buy bagged salads. I have not, though, in a couple of years. I bought them for the convenience, but decided that I really like buying lettuce and other vegetables myself. It seems, in my case, that the bagged lettuce went "bad" sooner than "fresh".

During the summer, I buy all of my vegetables and fruits at a farm about 1/4 mile from my house. I love living in a big city, with farmland that is still close by. :smile: mgc9ss9589d9.jpg

That lettuce looks awesome!