should I eat more, and why

Options
What is wrong with eating 1000 cals per day? I tried 600 for a week and got lightheaded, so I stopped that. I started just trying to eat healthy and eat less at first, no snacking, no drinks but water. Then went to 1600 then 1400 now 1000.

As long as I'm not dizzy what is the big deal. I have been losing 2.9 pounds per week for about 2 months, before that it was about 3.5 on more calories (1200-1600). I'm eating healthier so I think I'm getting most of my major nutrients, probably more than before where I eat lots of empty calories

I hear I shouldn't go below 1500 calories (M, 31y, 6'0", 229 lbs)

I also hear to aim for a 20% deficit, which would be like 1975 cal

I don't seem to be suffering from plateaus or starvation mode, Over the last 2 months I've lost as much weight as if I were buring my full 2450 calories a day (2.9 pounds a week, 0.4 a day, for a 1500 deficit) [have lost 52 pounds in 3.66 months, down to 229 aiming for 180]

I like losing this fast as the results motivate me to keep going

I can eat 600 a day and not be hungry, eating 1500 in a day seems like a challenge I get full too easily now (I think my stomach has shrunk)

So why should I eat 500 more calories a day, I won't lose weight faster

Replies

• jmervine77
    jmervine77 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day calories won't be as important as nutrients. I have days where I don't meet my calorie goals because I are a lot of lean proteins and veggies and fruit. You want to make sure you are eating at least 3 meals a day and drinking plenty of water. Focus on the healthy food instead of the calories. 600 is very low, so I would suggest maybe adding a protein shake
  • Squirrel698
    Squirrel698 Posts: 127 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You seem quite convinced of this, and I can't speak for you. The reason I wouldn't do that (M, 36, 5'10" 164 lbs) is because I would fear losing muscle and setting up an unsustainable pattern that would lead to eventual weight regain.

I've actually gone that little, or about that on the Master Cleanse. When I was on it, it was the best idea ever. When I gained it all back, as about 95% do, not so much.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    jmervine77 wrote: »
    At the end of the day calories won't be as important as nutrients. I have days where I don't meet my calorie goals because I are a lot of lean proteins and veggies and fruit. You want to make sure you are eating at least 3 meals a day and drinking plenty of water. Focus on the healthy food instead of the calories. 600 is very low, so I would suggest maybe adding a protein shake

Sorry but this is horrible advice.

Adequate calories are required for optimum functions within the body. Even if you're not "dizzy" or "lightheaded" on 1000 cals, you can't provide your body with enough essential macro and micronutrients. Meal timing and count of meals Is irrelevant. Total macro/ calorie accumulation is what matters. Also 3lbs a week weight loss....equals you losing muscle....which is metabolically active. Have fun depriving yourself of nutrients and losing muscle mass. Losing weight doesn't always mean healthy, and right now your are doing something that is doing more harm than anything.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Malnutrition is why..some of the damage malnutrition can do is permanent and you will have to deal with the consequences.
    In mild to moderate cases of malnutrition, no symptoms or signs may be evident; however, as the condition persists, the signs and symptoms will become more pronounced.
    Oral Symptoms
    Swollen and/or bleeding gums are the first oral symptoms of malnutrition. As the malnutrition continues, the teeth may begin to decay. When only the gums are affected, the oral effects of malnutrition can be reversed; however, once the teeth begin to decay, the damage is permanent.

Musculoskeletal Symptoms
    Fragile bones, osteoporosis and muscle loss and/or weakness are symptoms of malnutrition. When calcium or vitamin D are the nutrients lacking, these symptoms may manifest shortly after the body becomes malnourished.

Mental Symptoms
    Malnutrition can cause a slowed reaction time. However, in the elderly population, malnutrition may cause dementia and/or memory loss.

Decreased Organ Function
    As malnutrition ravages the body, the organs may begin to function less efficiently. This can lead to heart problems, decreased liver function, kidney failure, decreased lung capacity, intestinal problems, stomach irregularities and abnormal menstrual cycles in females.

Abdominal Symptoms
    Ascites, which manifests as a swollen or bloated abdomen, is a sign of malnutrition. This condition is exacerbated when the liver, kidneys or intestinal tract is affected.

Dry Skin
    People with malnutrition may develop abnormally dry skin, despite the use of lotions and creams. In severe cases, the skin may begin to crack.
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Because when you stop dieting if your body is used to 1000 calories for a prolonged period of time, you're not only going to be malnourished and have to deal with hormone levels among other things, but you're going to have to be very careful with your transition to maintenance.

Extreme scenario: if you eat 700 calories a day for 2 months and lose 14 lbs, then try to go back a normal healthy amount, ~1400, you're going to rebound heavily unless you do an extremely slow reverse diet while your body tries to adjust out of starvation.
  • Awillz_Conqueror
    Awillz_Conqueror Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the folks above. If you're okay with the results, then go for it. Just make sure you understand the consequences. Personally, I think the scale is an overrated piece of equipment. As I began my fitness journey, I learned very quickly that I did not care about my weight, but how I looked and felt. In 6 months, you can lose 9 pounds but have sculpted your body with lean muscle and look amazing OR you could lose 25 pounds and just look okay, but thinner. It's all up to you and the work you want to put in. What are your end goals?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm a 47 year old woman, reasonably active, and I lose on 1800-2000 cals a day. In fact I lost it several years ago, and have managed to keep it off, which is key, really, as squirrel said - what good does fast weight loss do ya if you just gain it all back?

I may have lost it a little more slowly, but I am more fit and stronger, more flexible, have more endurance than I had all through my 30s. I eat AS MANY cals as I can while still losing or maintaining my weight. It's awesome. I enjoy life - vacations, parties, birthdays, desserts - it fits into my goals.

500-600 cals? I often eat that much for breakfast. You may be feeling ok now, and motivated by the rapid weight loss, but what you're doing isn't healthy or sustainable.

Good luck.
  • luciroo
    luciroo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Crash diets rarely produce sustainable weight loss. Learning to eat appropriate portions for life is how you lose and keep weight off. I am a 51 year old female, 5'5", eat between 1500 - 1700 calories/day and have lost from 141 to 135 in about 6 weeks. Haven't starved myself, and I will be able to eat like this the rest of my life.
  • echmain
    echmain Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thread will be locked in 3...2...1...
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options

Adequate calories are required for optimum functions within the body. Even if you're not "dizzy" or "lightheaded" on 1000 cals, you can't provide your body with enough essential macro and micronutrients. Meal timing and count of meals Is irrelevant. Total macro/ calorie accumulation is what matters. Also 3lbs a week weight loss....equals you losing muscle....which is metabolically active. Have fun depriving yourself of nutrients and losing muscle mass. Losing weight doesn't always mean healthy, and right now your are doing something that is doing more harm than anything.

This
  • mishkins3
    mishkins3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    won't I lose muscle mass no matter how small the deficit, isn't the loss of muscle linear with the weight loss

Maybe I should be lighting weights then... I tried treadmill and wieghts for a week but my weight keept going up (water retention I think). I know it won't make a difference on weight loss over time once it levels out but it was discouraging anyways.

If you did weights then maybe you could maintain muscle if you lost slower than I am.

Not one supporter, maybe I will increase another 200-300 calories, and do some weight lifting. I know about the muscle loss but I figured since I don't have much compared to fat I won't lose very much and can regain it later.

What about supplements? can I get maco nutrients that ways Is there a specific kind that has all of them?

Not even sure what maco and micro nutrients are... are we talking vitamins and minerals?

I don't want to take like 3 years to lose the weight i want to lose, if it took that long I would never do it. that has been a reason I havn't dieted seriously before.
  • mishkins3
    mishkins3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am the definition of sedentary, I spent like 12 hours a day on a couch with a laptop for years now
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Based on your initial post, your plan is to eat less than 40% of your maintenance calories? You will lose weight quickly ... and jeopardize your health as mentioned previously. As an adult, it is your decision if that is worth the risk. The MFP community as a whole will recommend against such an aggressive, and inherently dangerous, plan.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    You can minimize muscle loss by keeping your calorie deficit within a reasonable range (i.e. a 20% reduction from your maintenance calorie needs) and lifting. There will always be some lean body mass (LBM) loss when losing weight - nature of the beast. Also, LBM (i.e. all the stuff other than fat in your body) makes up more than just the muscles you might be thinking of like biceps. It also makes up our organs - you know, like our heart. Significant loss of LBM can be detrimental to your health. Increasing your protein intake (really your overall intake is way too low) while lifting can help keep the loss of LBM lower.

Macronutrients - carbohydrates, fats, proteins
    Micronutrients - everything else we need to be healthy (vitamins, minerals)

You're only going to get macronutrients through food. Most micronutrients can be supplemented with a pill (like One-a-Day), but you still can't get all of them that way. When you don't meet your body's needs for these macro and micronutrients over a period of time, you will become malnourished.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    echmain wrote: »
    Thread will be locked in 3...2...1...

Its two days later and no lock... shocked.

• samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options

This.

Also, hunger cannot be what you base your needs off of. Many of us gained weight because we ate when we were "hungry." Turns out, it was stress, boredom, lack of control, and many other things that turned into bad habits.

When I first started here a few years ago, I set my goal to 1200. I wasn't hungry, so I thought it wasn't a problem. Not the case. I was getting weaker and more tired by the day. Upped the calories, and I still lost weight at a good, but healthy, pace.

The reason you want to up your calories is to save your health. While you might feel fine, it is not a good justification for eating at an unhealthy level. I know it can be a bit disheartening at first to slow down such an "amazing" loss, but that loss is costing much more than you can see. Nearly 3-4 lbs / week sounds impressive until you break it down and learn what you are losing to achieve that.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    mishkins3 wrote: »
    won't I lose muscle mass no matter how small the deficit, isn't the loss of muscle linear with the weight loss

Maybe I should be lighting weights then... I tried treadmill and wieghts for a week but my weight keept going up (water retention I think). I know it won't make a difference on weight loss over time once it levels out but it was discouraging anyways.

If you did weights then maybe you could maintain muscle if you lost slower than I am.

Not one supporter, maybe I will increase another 200-300 calories, and do some weight lifting. I know about the muscle loss but I figured since I don't have much compared to fat I won't lose very much and can regain it later.

What about supplements? can I get maco nutrients that ways Is there a specific kind that has all of them?

Not even sure what maco and micro nutrients are... are we talking vitamins and minerals?

I don't want to take like 3 years to lose the weight i want to lose, if it took that long I would never do it. that has been a reason I havn't dieted seriously before.

1 to 2 lbs per week is considered safe/healthy rate of loss.
    1500 is the minimum calories set by National Institute of Health for men to meet nutritional needs without a doctors supervision (and also the minimum goal MFP will give men).
    You can't supplement for Macros. That's your carbs, fat and protein.
    You can supplement micros, but vitamins will NOT get you 100% of your daily micro nutrient needs.

LBM loss refers to your organs, bones, muscle...to put it simply LBM is everything in your body that isn't fat.

To regain muscle you would need to bulk. Bulking involves gaining muscle and fat. You then follow the bulk with a cut which is where you take the fat back off. It's slow to add muscle mass.
  • missyfitz1
    missyfitz1 Posts: 93 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    [/quote]

Also, hunger cannot be what you base your needs off of. Many of us gained weight because we ate when we were "hungry." Turns out, it was stress, boredom, lack of control, and many other things that turned into bad habits.

[/quote]

This is gold. I think a problem a lot of people have when they're trying to lose weight is that they think their experience of hunger is a clear and accurate reflection of exactly what is going on in their bodies. If I'm hungry, my metabolism must be going crazy and I will burn off this food easily! Our bodies are so adaptable though. You can think you're hungry when your body doesn't need food, and you can feel like you're not hungry when your body does need food. Hunger is one criterion, but it doesn't give the complete picture. Most people don't understand that.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Also 3lbs a week weight loss....equals you losing muscle....which is metabolically active. Have fun depriving yourself of nutrients and losing muscle mass. Losing weight doesn't always mean healthy, and right now your are doing something that is doing more harm than anything.

+1
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    mishkins3 wrote: »

Do you like your hair and nails, and want to keep them?
    Then eat at LEAST 1200 a day (1200 NET if exercising.
    Oh, you should probably eat more if you want to have a healthy heart, too. What you're doing is VERY dangerous. I'm sorry, but I'd rather NOT die of a heart failure if it means a slower weight loss. Fast weight loss is never the key to a happy life. The weight will come back on...fast.

Do not, and I repeat DO NOT start lifting if you're not going to eat adequately. Eat appropriately for health.

No matter how much you lift, if you eat so little, you'll lose muscle mass, and a lot of it. Oh, you're heart is a muscle, did I mention that? Supplements will do diddly squat if you're not going to feed your body properly. How is your body going to process the fat soluble vitamins if you're eating so little?

You're not a special snowflake. Lose weight the safe and proper way so he weight will stay off. Gah.