What are some foods that boost metabolism?

Options
I've been thinking a lot lately about my diet and for the most part my diet is super clean I was wondering is any you knew of some foods or drinks that would help boost my metabolism alittle more naturally

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    None exist

That's not how the metabolism works

Build muscle to marginally increase RMR
    Move more to increase TDEE

Eat a nutritious diet with decent protein and fat levels for health
  • s_schema
    s_schema Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks that helps a lot I pretty much do that now just wondered if there's was more I could be doing
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    s_schema wrote: »
    Thanks that helps a lot I pretty much do that now just wondered if there's was more I could be doing

Not really. There are constant reports and articles about this or that miracle food or beverage, but none of it amounts to anything significant. Even if a food can be shown in a lab to "boost metabolism", it's a negligible amount. What we want are permanent and healthy lifestyle changes--and that doesn't come in a bottle.

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what's written above. Technically all food boosts metabolism to a certain degree. The thermic/ metabolic effect though is minute in terms of boosted metabolism
  • emmam1212
    emmam1212 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Some studies say green tea boosts the metabolism by something like 4%, I think. Who really knows how much truth there is to that. In my personal experience I am inclined to believe it though. I've been drinking 2-3 glasses a day and I've lost more weight than usual. 10 pounds in about a month. If that's really the reason I have no idea but definitely worth considering. There are other great benefits to it too so you really can't lose either way. Goodluck!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    (Agree with the above posters)

But if you want to do more then:

- evaluate how much protein and fat you generally get and assure your minimums.
    - eat variety to get your vitamin and micronutrient needs.
    - make sure you don't fall into the trap of eating too little - fuel your activities to keep energy levels up, if you find yourself exhausted, back off a little.
    - take regular small breaks (when you eat at the upper end of maintenance not a free for all) - every 4-6 weeks for a day or two, will actually help on adhesion and metabolic function.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Some studies say green tea boosts the metabolism by something like 4%, I think. Who really knows how much truth there is to that. In my personal experience I am inclined to believe it though. I've been drinking 2-3 glasses a day and I've lost more weight than usual. 10 pounds in about a month. If that's really the reason I have no idea but definitely worth considering. There are other great benefits to it too so you really can't lose either way. Goodluck!

ummm... no, pretty sure it doesn't...but please link the studies, I'm open to learn something new (but colour me a doubting Thomas)

green tea's only active ingredient is caffeine (and catechins)

caffeine is a stimulant in significant amounts - there's about 0.04g additional caffeine in green tea to coffee (based 1.5g green tea to 50ml water and 10g coffee to 150g water) .. I'd far prefer to drink coffee
  • Sued0nim
    edited February 2016
    Options

- make sure you don't fall into the trap of eating too little - fuel your activities to keep energy levels up, if you find yourself exhausted, back off a little.
    - take regular small breaks (when you eat at the upper end of maintenance not a free for all) - every 4-6 weeks for a day or two, will actually help on adhesion and metabolic function.

Hey @EvgeniZyntx is a couple of days refeed adequate? I thought with long-term defecit that refeeds, at maintenance, needed to be a couple of weeks to restore hormonal balance (eg leptin, ghrelin etc) or are you talking about something else?
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I think this is the study Emmy was talking about. Have no idea if it's legit. It's almost 3am here and I'm half asleep, lol.
    http://m.ajcn.nutrition.org/content/70/6/1040.abstract?sid=8012d1f9-9f28-4684-9b1a-3de904d65cbf
  • emmam1212
    Options
    @rabbitjb Instead of jumping down people's throats maybe take the time to read their full comment. I explicitly stated "who really knows how much truth there is to that." I wasn't making a claim other than from my own experience. Ive been consistently drinking it and consistently losing weight. I do not know if they're linked. Like I said. And YES, it has been studied. It was reported in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. I'm assuming you're capable of doing your own research into that and I don't need to provide you a link. Not making claims over here just throwing out relevant information. Wow.
  • emmam1212
    Options
    It is thank you, @cynsonya
  • Sued0nim
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @rabbitjb Instead of jumping down people's throats maybe take the time to read their full comment. I explicitly stated "who really knows how much truth there is to that." I wasn't making a claim other than from my own experience. Ive been consistently drinking it and consistently losing weight. I do not know if they're linked. Like I said. And YES, it has been studied. It was reported in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. I'm assuming you're capable of doing your own research into that and I don't need to provide you a link. Not making claims over here just throwing out relevant information. Wow.

Did not jump down your throat - I corrected misinformation - that's different. And I was fairly polite and open to correction whilst doing so.

I read your entire comment @emmyschneid

Did you just drink green tea, or amend your calorie intake, calorie expenditure as well?

You were pretty specific with your 4% metabolic increase statistic .. cos numbers right? You stated it, doubted the veracity then said you believe it. You also mentioned other great benefits?

You brought the concept - it is up to you to provide the source, not me to look for it

Wow indeed!
  • Cynsonya
    Options
    It is thank you, @cynsonya

You're welcome :)
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Cynsonya wrote: »
    I think this is the study Emmy was talking about. Have no idea if it's legit. It's almost 3am here and I'm half asleep, lol.
    http://m.ajcn.nutrition.org/content/70/6/1040.abstract?sid=8012d1f9-9f28-4684-9b1a-3de904d65cbf

Thank you @cynsonya

that's actually a pretty decent study, and done on humans which is a huge advantage compared to the previous rat studies I've seen.

Although quite a small number (n=10) and I feel it is a shame there was no mixed gender study. It does seem to indicate a 33 calorie increase in TDEE over 24 hour period, on average .. interesting, but marginal and well within the boundaries of too minor to worry about.

But makes it worth reading further
  • Cynsonya
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Cynsonya wrote: »

Thank you @cynsonya

that's actually a pretty decent study, and done on humans which is a huge advantage compared to the previous rat studies I've seen.

Although quite a small number (n=10) and I feel it is a shame there was no mixed gender study. It does seem to indicate a 33 calorie increase in TDEE over 24 hour period, on average .. interesting, but marginal and well within the boundaries of too minor to worry about.

But makes it worth reading further

I agree. Would really like to see a much larger study.
  • jayhd777
    jayhd777 Posts: 86 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Who needs studies? If you put in less calories than you really need you will lose weight....if you put in more calaories than you need then you will put on weight....simples.....
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Hey @EvgeniZyntx is a couple of days refeed adequate? I thought with long-term defecit that refeeds, at maintenance, needed to be a couple of weeks to restore hormonal balance (eg leptin, ghrelin etc) or are you talking about something else?

Depends on duration of dieting - and I have a hole in my head and can't remember the rule of thumb - saraUK posted in her group. I may be too short on time. 2 days for every 4 weeks-6 weeks gives you about a week every 3 months which sounds close to it. (I might have understated by bit....)
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

ummm... no, pretty sure it doesn't...but please link the studies, I'm open to learn something new (but colour me a doubting Thomas)

green tea's only active ingredient is caffeine (and catechins)

caffeine is a stimulant in significant amounts - there's about 0.04g additional caffeine in green tea to coffee (based 1.5g green tea to 50ml water and 10g coffee to 150g water) .. I'd far prefer to drink coffee

I have the article somewhere (in my nightmare of a basement), but a cup of green tea will increase your metabolism by 1% (probably from the caffeine). Effect topped out at 4% no matter how many cups were consumed. So, if you normally burn 2000 calories a day, you'd burn an extra 80 by drinking four cups of green tea. Whoopee. Not enough to seriously affect your weight loss.

I went to the medical library to find the study because some of the women I work with who would do anything to lose weight (except count calories and exercise) read a blurb in some women's magazine and then all started guzzling green tea. They weren't too happy with me when I showed them the actual facts.

Another all natural metabolism booster and appetite suppressant is cocaine. Folks that use it are skinny!