Who cooks using Greek Yogurt

Options
pondee629
pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
in lieu of sour cream or Mayo? Or anything else, for that matter.

Please share your experience and recipes. Adding nutritional values is a nice touch if easily provided.

Thanks

Replies

• caseylizbeth
    caseylizbeth Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I use greek yogurt all the time. I use plain greek yogurt, (I usually buy the 0% fat kind out of personal preference) in place of sour cream, I'll mix powdered ranch dressing mix with greek yogurt to make a healthy salad dressing option, I throw it into smoothies and oatmeal.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I use full fat Greek Yogurt all the time as a substitute for sour cream. I don't have any specific recipes, just wherever a recipe calls for sour cream, swap it out 1:1 with Greek Yogurt. I even use it on things like tacos, and my kids have no idea that it's not sour cream.
  • LuckyNumbers
    LuckyNumbers Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I also use Greek yogurt as a sub for sour cream. DH loves beef stroganoff, and the first time I subbed with Greek yogurt, he had no idea and could not tell the difference. I use it on top of a baked potato or chili for some extra protein. I also understand you can bake with it, although I haven't tried that yet.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I literally use Greek yogurt at EVERY meal. Whether it's sweet, savory, spicy...etc. it will always be incorporated somehow. I love the stuff
  • monicarungood
    monicarungood Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    We use nonfat Greek yogurt. It's super versatile. Sometimes my husband will blend it with garlic and a few other things to make tangy dressings, or we mix it with sriracha or other hot sauce a lot.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yogurt can curdle when cooked in dishes like curries, full fat less so than high fat. Here are some additional tips to prevent yogurt from separating when cooked:

http://everydaylife.globalpost.com/cooking-yogurt-curdling-31557.html
    http://www.indiacurry.com/faqhints/preventyogurtcurdling.htm
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    I do use yogurt in lieu of sour cream in baking. But for mayo that I'd have with canned tuna or salmon or sandwiches, if I don't have the calories, I use cottage cheese.
  • monicarungood
    monicarungood Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Yogurt can curdle when cooked in dishes like curries, full fat less so than high fat. Here are some additional tips to prevent yogurt from separating when cooked:

That's something I should have mentioned, too - you can't really heat it because it curdles. It's great for salads and usually I can put it on a hot potato just fine but I microwaved it once and that was bad.
  • TheresaLisaJulieJean
    Options
    I used it in my mashed cauliflower "potatoes" I use 3/4 c plain (full fat) and a head of cauliflower.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I use regular yogurt and a bit of gelatin in place of sour cream. It's also good for thickening sauces, homemade froyo, or in place of eggs (in some recipes). I'll use it in place of mayo from time to time, but it's just not the same thing. It's important to keep it at a low temperature, or it'll turn into a curdled mess.

Greek has a lot of environmental issues and it's not as tasty imo.

I was not aware of this. Thanks.

So it substitutes well for sour cream but not so much for mayo.

Thanks all. I was looking into making my own yogurt and was wondering if there were any other uses for it other than the obvious.
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    i make indian tomato-based curries a lot. usually the sauce calls for heavy cream. instead, I add 0% greek yogurt (near the end of cooking so it doesn't curdle). tastes awesome and adds a bunch of protein while significantly reducing calories compared to the heavy cream version.
  • LushFix
    LushFix Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I make a version of beef stroganoff using Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. Iv even ditched the meat and used just mushrooms and onions. I'd say use two or three differnt varieties.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    well I don't typically cook with sour cream- but I do substitute out all my sour cream and use greek yogurt instead. I like sour cream- but i only use it on a few things- and usually I buy a tub and waste it- I eat greek yogurt daily- so there is no waste.

win win.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    I use it to make protein cheesecake and love it.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    There are very few (if you'll forgive the terminology) "healthier" substitutes that I use, because frankly most of them suck. I'd rather eat a slightly smaller portion of a full, richer food than a bigger portion of sadness.

But I do swap out sour cream for greek yogurt almost all the time now. They have the same mouth feel and flavor to me, so it's worth it.

I'm not quite as on board with swapping it out totally for Mayo, but occasionally I'll do a 50/50 substitution (ie - instead of 1 cup mayo, I'll use 1/2 cup mayo and 1/2 cup greek yogurt)
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Had Greek yogurt on tacos last night in lieu of sour cream. Can't tell the difference.
  • midge_m
    midge_m Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I use it to make oven "fried" chicken fingers. Delish.
  • lisa9805
    lisa9805 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I use it to make protein cheesecake and love it.

recipe plz ;)
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

That's something I should have mentioned, too - you can't really heat it because it curdles. It's great for salads and usually I can put it on a hot potato just fine but I microwaved it once and that was bad.

yes that's why i add it at the end of the cooking cycle when you are no longer adding heat to the pan. traditionally you would add the heavy cream and simmer that along with the tomato&spice base.

just cook the tomato base by itself, let the pan cool a bit and stir in the yogurt then. or keep the yogurt separate and stir it into each serving individually. you get a very similar taste and texture to the original curry.