Wait...your toenails can fall off if you run regularly?

Options
13»

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Can be preceded by black toenails.
    You want to make sure your shoes are big enough - no crammed toes. If your feet swell during runs, account for that and get slightly roomier shoes.
    I personally love and run in Altras, which have a very wide toebox and allow your toes to spread out. But that's just me. There are so many shoes out there nowadays for all kinds of runners. Everyone should find what works for them.

Yeah, I have gotten "black toe" and lost the nail a couple of times on the same toe. It is bruising under the nail from the end of the toe getting constantly jammed against the toe of your shoe/boot. In my case, it only happens when I do something way out of the ordinary (like taking a 24 mile in one day hike) and that toe is a little longer than the others. I started using the gel toe caps on that toe for a little extra cushioning when I do a long hike or I know I am going to be on steep trails and haven't gotten it since.

ETA: it really isn't a big deal. The nail has always grown back the same as it originally was. My feet look much better than my 30 year old niece's, she used to be a ballet dancer.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Get a shoe with a large toe-box and keep your nails trimmed. You'll probably never have an issue. I've had a few but every single time it was from doing 15+ mile runs in the rain. I suspect my foot was slipping forward and crowding my toe since my shoes were soaked and slippery on the inside.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    My toenails never fell off from running.

This.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Get a shoe with a large toe-box and keep your nails trimmed. You'll probably never have an issue. I've had a few but every single time it was from doing 15+ mile runs in the rain. I suspect my foot was slipping forward and crowding my toe since my shoes were soaked and slippery on the inside.

A well fitting shoe is the best preventative. You don't want it too tight, but make sure it is not too loose either. If your feet slip in the shoe at all, you will still hit your toes against the front of the shoe and risk getting black toe.