How does your garden grow????? Pictures please.

larrodarro
larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
Hey guys. It's that time of year again. I have seedlings going under the lights inside, and 10 slightly larger pepper plants outside in my subterranean greenhouse. I have a really bad gardening habit, and this year I'm trying to do less of everything. Note the small number of seeds planted so far. And I will cull those down to just the best handful of each.

I look forward to seeing all your gardens as well. Please post.

Happy gardening,

Larro

What's up so far:

8 of 9 Grand Bell Mix
9 of 9 California Wonder Bell
7 of 8 Habanero
6 of 8 Cayenne
5 of 8 Serrano Chili
10 of 15 Jalapeno Early
12 of 12 Cilantro
7 of 12 Acorn Squash
49 of 50 Sweet Corn Early Golden Bantam
6 of 9 Yellow Pear Tomato

Bought plants:

9 Beef Steak {Heirloom} Tomatoes {from a 6 pack}

What's not up {yet}:

J E Parker New Mexico Chili
Yellow Hungarian Wax
Pruden's Purple Tomato {saved seeds}

Outside:

5 Jalapeno Medium
5 Mini Sweet Peppers {from seeds in store bought peppers}

febkwj7vjq9i.jpg

Replies

• larrodarro
    We don't have much this year because I'm tired of fighting little furry bunnies.

I planted the small bed though and it's doing well: strawberries, basil, chives (perennial), mint (perennial), oregano in the front with marigolds. Various flowers in the back picked out by my kiddos.

Looks good. I plant flowers in the middle of my garden where the waterline is. It adds some color to the garden for sure. I'm trying to steer my 88 year old Mamma toward raised beds. She always gets me to help her plant, and she plants too much. We won't even mention her threats to shoot Sister's peacocks over her plants.

My garden is fenced, but last fall the deer learned they could jump it. Not sure what I'm going to do about it.
  • larrodarro
    sirenjo wrote: »
    god knows.. i dont have green fingers, i have a huge lawn surrounded by roses in the borders and a cherry blossom tree.. i love my roses but nothing to see here yet :/

I have a pretty big stretch of front yard too. I like it being open when it's time to mow. But we took in a good chunk of it last year and planted fruit trees. They are holding on, but that's about it.
  • larrodarro
    My mobile corn-patch.

s7nh6xxto9m8.jpg

Next time I will start them off in separate containers. Getting the roots untangled was a job of work.

nym87mizbo2v.jpg

Now in smaller to-go containers.

wkjdjb9tu43y.jpg

• larrodarro
    edited February 2016
    I got all the tomato and pepper sprouts into cups.

x37rhrqljb08.jpg

I bought a 6 pack of Beef Steak tomatoes last week. But they are heirloom, so I can save the seeds from them.

bbk2rik38b86.jpg

I had planned on putting the Acorn squash and Cilantro into cups also, but there was a couple new AS sprouts this morning, so they get another week or so under the lights.

inkp75kpmvvd.jpg

• sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    My garden is currently under about 2 feet of snow, and my last frost date is the "full moon in June", but I have carefully selected and ordered my seeds for the year and I'm working out my garden map.

I had to chuckle at the "I'm trying to do less this year" because I have said that myself the last 3 years in a row... and my Grandma, who is 83, has been saying that every year for as long as I can remember. It's an addiction, I think!

As far as your acorn squash, have you started them in a flat before? I thought they don't transplant well.
  • Dandelie
    Dandelie Posts: 153 Member
    Oh my! I am so looking forward to this. I planted several things last year. My mom and I tried a large garden but were overrun with spiders. She kept getting bit by poisonous spiders, so we aren't doing that again. We built two large beds that sit behind her house and grow greens, peas, and spring onions in them. They did GREAT. We had so much lettuce we couldn't eat it all before it turned bitter.

This year, we are starting an asparagus bed and a strawberry bed at each of our houses. I also am trying to sprout some peach seeds and apple seeds. I am stratifying some blueberry, raspberry, golden raspberry, and June bearing strawberries right now. In about a month and a half I am going to sprout them. We have two grape vines. One in the ground and one in a pot for now. We have four new coffee trees (indoor in our zone). Can't wait for those. I can't stand coffee, but everyone in my family LOVES coffee.

Here's my list for this year:

Beefsteak tomatoes
    Roma tomatoes
    Cherry tomatoes
    Peas (Only eat them fresh off the vine, not cooked)
    Cucumbers
    Spinach
    Lettuce
    Carrots
    Butternut squash
    Peaches N Cream corn (Just finishing the last of my fall harvest tonight)
    Potatoes
    Maybe french green beans (not sure yet)

Most of these in containers. I am still setting up my beds and they may not be ready for planting this year. I already started a raspberry bed. They may not come back up this year. A neighbor decided to weed eat them down. We shall see!

Spring come soon!!!
  • larrodarro
    sault_girl wrote: »
    My garden is currently under about 2 feet of snow, and my last frost date is the "full moon in June", but I have carefully selected and ordered my seeds for the year and I'm working out my garden map.

I had to chuckle at the "I'm trying to do less this year" because I have said that myself the last 3 years in a row... and my Grandma, who is 83, has been saying that every year for as long as I can remember. It's an addiction, I think!

As far as your acorn squash, have you started them in a flat before? I thought they don't transplant well.

I've heard the same thing about Acorn squash, but my wife is so amped up to get some going, I took a chance. I'll be planting seed in the ground soon, so these few are just an attempt at getting an early harvest.

And I'm hoping I've had my last frost, but I doubt it. Late March to early April is the average. If I have much outside by then, and there is a late frost, I'll just run the sprinklers on them all night.
  • larrodarro
    Dandelie wrote: »
    Oh my! I am so looking forward to this. I planted several things last year. My mom and I tried a large garden but were overrun with spiders. She kept getting bit by poisonous spiders, so we aren't doing that again. We built two large beds that sit behind her house and grow greens, peas, and spring onions in them. They did GREAT. We had so much lettuce we couldn't eat it all before it turned bitter.

This year, we are starting an asparagus bed and a strawberry bed at each of our houses. I also am trying to sprout some peach seeds and apple seeds. I am stratifying some blueberry, raspberry, golden raspberry, and June bearing strawberries right now. In about a month and a half I am going to sprout them. We have two grape vines. One in the ground and one in a pot for now. We have four new coffee trees (indoor in our zone). Can't wait for those. I can't stand coffee, but everyone in my family LOVES coffee.

Beefsteak tomatoes
    Roma tomatoes
    Cherry tomatoes
    Cucumbers
    Spinach
    Lettuce
    Carrots
    Butternut squash
    Potatoes

Most of these in containers. I am still setting up my beds and they may not be ready for planting this year. I already started a raspberry bed. They may not come back up this year. A neighbor decided to weed eat them down. We shall see!

Spring come soon!!!

That will be quite the impressive lineup. My wife wants us to try asparagus and strawberries, but when I was a kid, Mamma tried growing them, and they never did very good. I've got peach seeds in soil, but so far no sprouts from them. I'm a big coffee drinker, so the coffee trees would be nice. I did grapevines and fruit trees last year. They are doing alright, but not what I was looking for. I'm sure we will add more this year. I took in about an acre of yard and it's not even half full yet.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    larrodarro wrote: »

I've heard the same thing about Acorn squash, but my wife is so amped up to get some going, I took a chance. I'll be planting seed in the ground soon, so these few are just an attempt at getting an early harvest.

For squash seeds, start the seeds in a labeled, folded paper towel; keep moist and put in an open plastic baggie. As soon as each seed sprouts, transfer to an individual seedling container that is lined with a sheet of newspaper and fill with soil. When ready to plant outside, the root ball will pop out easily without disturbing the roots. When planted, the newspaper will disintegrate and the roots should do just fine.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member

Beefsteak tomatoes
    Roma tomatoes
    Cherry tomatoes
    Cucumbers
    Spinach
    Lettuce
    Carrots
    Butternut squash
    Potatoes

Spring come soon!!!

That will be quite the impressive lineup. My wife wants us to try asparagus and strawberries, but when I was a kid, Mamma tried growing them, and they never did very good. I've got peach seeds in soil, but so far no sprouts from them. I'm a big coffee drinker, so the coffee trees would be nice. I did grapevines and fruit trees last year. They are doing alright, but not what I was looking for. I'm sure we will add more this year. I took in about an acre of yard and it's not even half full yet.

I'm in Massachusetts and my strawberries grow like weeds. They are overflowing everywhere. I give dozens of plants away on freecycle every year. I am a strawberry eating fool for about a month, and freeze the excess.

Asparagus take a lot more work. Mom has a bed. I move around too much.

• kshama2001
    We don't have much this year because I'm tired of fighting little furry bunnies.

I planted the small bed though and it's doing well: strawberries, basil, chives (perennial), mint (perennial), oregano in the front with marigolds. Various flowers in the back picked out by my kiddos.

vclukq813mel.jpeg

Nice!

I have a fence around my vegetable garden that had holes small enough to keep out adult woodchucks, but last year to my dismay I learn the woodchuck was female, and that the babies were small enough to fit in. I tried EVERYTHING, but the only things that worked were 1. blasting Metallica (not a permanent solution due to my radio not being waterproof) and 2. putting chicken wire up over the existing fence.

aoxk3gy4nt6j.jpg
  • kshama2001
    Nothing happening yet; two years ago:

1hu72bvjv6zl.jpg

• Dandelie
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Beefsteak tomatoes
    Roma tomatoes
    Cherry tomatoes
    Cucumbers
    Spinach
    Lettuce
    Carrots
    Butternut squash
    Potatoes

Spring come soon!!!

I'm in Massachusetts and my strawberries grow like weeds. They are overflowing everywhere. I give dozens of plants away on freecycle every year. I am a strawberry eating fool for about a month, and freeze the excess.

Asparagus take a lot more work. Mom has a bed. I move around too much.

You can do asparagus in containers! I read a post sometime last year, which is why I originally wanted to do it. I am renting, but I purchased 300 seeds. It won't matter if I leave some behind. I am sure you can find a large enough container to grow 3-6 plants. Considering they give about 20-30 years of product, that is a good addition to the garden.
  • Dandelie

1hu72bvjv6zl.jpg

I just read an article about direct composting where you dig a hole in your bed and dump your scraps. Within a week (provided you have enough earth worms in your soil), the scraps would be mostly gone. I am interested in this method. I saw you had a composter. I have been toying with that, but we have wild animals like bear, deer, hogs, and turkeys that I REALLY do not want in my yard.
  • larrodarro
    CyberTone wrote: »

For squash seeds, start the seeds in a labeled, folded paper towel; keep moist and put in an open plastic baggie. As soon as each seed sprouts, transfer to an individual seedling container that is lined with a sheet of newspaper and fill with soil. When ready to plant outside, the root ball will pop out easily without disturbing the roots. When planted, the newspaper will disintegrate and the roots should do just fine.

I'll go right into the ground with squash seeds shortly. These were just an "I can't wait until Spring" impulse planting. They will go into a kiddie pool, along with peppers, tomatoes and whatever else comes along before it get's too full. I'll break {or cut} the root mass into three pieces. About 3 vines to the hill.

Last year I did do a third crop of Acorn squash, part of which I started in Solo cups. They did about the same as the ones planted in the ground at the same time. Alright, but nothing special. But then it was pretty far into Fall by then.
  • hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member

1hu72bvjv6zl.jpg

I just read an article about direct composting where you dig a hole in your bed and dump your scraps. Within a week (provided you have enough earth worms in your soil), the scraps would be mostly gone. I am interested in this method. I saw you had a composter. I have been toying with that, but we have wild animals like bear, deer, hogs, and turkeys that I REALLY do not want in my yard.

If you direct compost, make sure you dig deep enough because critters can smell the food and will go for it. I ended up getting a composter that does not touch the ground because my food scraps were bringing all the possums, dogs, and who knows what else to the yard and I got tired of eggshells being strewn across the lawn (among other things).
  • Dandelie
    CyberTone wrote: »

I'll go right into the ground with squash seeds shortly. These were just an "I can't wait until Spring" impulse planting. They will go into a kiddie pool, along with peppers, tomatoes and whatever else comes along before it get's too full. I'll break {or cut} the root mass into three pieces. About 3 vines to the hill.

Last year I did do a third crop of Acorn squash, part of which I started in Solo cups. They did about the same as the ones planted in the ground at the same time. Alright, but nothing special. But then it was pretty far into Fall by then.

What is the difference between other squashes and acorn? I enjoy butternut, pumpkin, and zucchini. I am about to try a spaghetti squash to see if I want to grow it. I like the look of the acorn, but what type of flesh does it have and how do you prepare it? I mean, I know you bake it probably, but I mean like what dishes?
  • Dandelie

1hu72bvjv6zl.jpg

If you direct compost, make sure you dig deep enough because critters can smell the food and will go for it. I ended up getting a composter that does not touch the ground because my food scraps were bringing all the possums, dogs, and who knows what else to the yard and I got tired of eggshells being strewn across the lawn (among other things).

Oh yeah...the possums. We have those around here.