is it true?

Options
I was wondering if it's true or not that drinking iced water when your craving food both helps you lose weight and eventually cut the cravings?? I ask 'cause I'm trying to find an alternative to night snacking

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    You don't really have to stop snacking at night time, just save some calories up for then instead of eating them earlier in the day and plan ahead if you can what you're going to have. I find hot drinks make me feel more satisfied than cold but that's just me. Good luck with your weight loss.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that before. I always save calories to snack with in the evening. Timing of eating will not affect weight loss, only calorie deficits will.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Drinking ice water is good on a hot day. Especially when you're dehydrated. That's about it. Hunger is hunger. If you're truly hungry, re-examine your caloric intake and/or food choices.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others...build a snack into your food plan. I have a cup of hot tea in the evening with some type of snack and it helps me to know I can fit that in at a time when I know I'll be craving something. I even put the snack in first sometimes and divide up the remaining calories for my meals, making sure I stay within my calories or find I need to add a bit of extra exercise for that day.
  • kellzi89
    kellzi89 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Green Tea is suppose to have properties that assist with your metabolism. Unlike other teas, green tea leaves are steamed preserving the epigallocatechin gallate. Epigallocatechin gallate is the most powerful antioxidant of the catechins. This antioxidant has been linked to enhanced weight loss by increasing both your metabolism and fat oxidation.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I eat any time, love to have a late snack. There is data that states drinking ice water burns a few more calories than room temp or hot water, but it's only a few per glass, 2-4 not sure which, as your body 'warms' it.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Here is the article. It is more calories than I thought.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/diet-fitness/weight-loss/question447.htm
  • Terri081013
    Options
    Green Tea is suppose to have properties that assist with your metabolism. Unlike other teas, green tea leaves are steamed preserving the epigallocatechin gallate. Epigallocatechin gallate is the most powerful antioxidant of the catechins. This antioxidant has been linked to enhanced weight loss by increasing both your metabolism and fat oxidation.

Is it safe for breastfeeding mom's do you know??
  • Terri081013
    Options
    Thank you all for your helps and input!! I appreciate it!
  • kellzi89
    kellzi89 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    That I have never needed to research, I would think so but best not to assume, ask a doctor or a nutritionist.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    There's nothing magical about iced water, and I dont think you say it's a "true or false" thing.

Try it - if it works for you, great!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

green tea contains a low amount of caffeine, it's not unsafe when breastfeeding but it can get in the milk and keep the baby awake. I drank tea while pregnant and breastfeeding although I kept it down to 3 cups a day. I didn't notice any effects on my baby. I also avoided it in the evenings.

Bear in mind though that any affects on weight loss would be minimal. Personally I find black tea makes me feel full after a meal, I don't really like green tea. Caffeine can make you burn slightly more energy, but again it's minimal. By all means drink green tea (or black tea) if it helps you stay within your calorie goal but it's not anything magic, what's going to make you lose weight is eating less than you burn off, and you don't need any of these things that are touted as fat burning or metabolism boosting or whatever.
  • AlteredSkates
    AlteredSkates Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You don't really have to stop snacking at night time, just save some calories up for then instead of eating them earlier in the day and plan ahead if you can what you're going to have. I find hot drinks make me feel more satisfied than cold but that's just me. Good luck with your weight loss.

This is true. Energy in/energy out, but I believe you should ensure you're macro needs are met too! :smile: Good luck!
  • bfbooty
    bfbooty Posts: 189 Member
    Options

i drank it when breast feeding it had no effect on my lo that i could tell. It's very very good for you i try to drink 3-4 cups a day, makes you pee a lot though lol

I agree with also keeping cals back for an evening snack i always do i try my best to plan out my day ahead even if it's in my head at first
  • BrunetteBabe101
    Options
    It does help you to lose weight as your body burns calories when it is raising the temperature of the water but I doubt that it helps you 'cut the craving's'.
  • Mini_horse_lover
    Mini_horse_lover Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I hope so!
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever you like as long you keep to your calorie goal and move your bum of the sofa - exercise :)
  • Terri081013
    Options
    thank you everyone for the input!!!
  • elvensnow
    elvensnow Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I think you may be confusing water "cutting cravings" with the idea that often times we mistake being thirsty(dehydrated) with hunger signals. One tip is, when you do have cravings, drink a glass of water, wait about 20-30 minutes, and see if the craving is gone. If it is, then you were probably just thirsty and not really hungry.

But no drinking more water and such will not magically remove all cravings. There are health benefits to drinking water over other liquids but not enough that its suddenly a panacea for obesity.