What foods to stay away from?

Options
Hi im 19, 5' 11, im 235 lbs (I've lost 5 lb since starting to workout a month ago, I am very happy about it)

I go to the gym 4-5 times a week and I am just happy that I have lost 5 pounds but I know my diet is still not as good as it should be. I'm a noobie when it comes to foods that I shouldn't eat except for the obvious don't eat fat thing. SInce my workout I have lowered my portions for what I eat. My eating schedule is very messed up which is the problem I guess... (wake up at like 12 - 2pm ish, don't eat till 5ish and then eat at like 2am...) But my question is... what foods should I stay away from and what should I try to eat? And also does my eating schedule affect how I weigh?

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    As long as you are in a calorie deficit you can eat what ever you like. There are no "bad" or "naughty" foods. You should eat healthy fats as well. It's an excess of calories that makes one fat, not eating fat.

I have noticed absolutely no difference in when I eat my meals. I have tried eating several small meals a day and even eating two large meals in the evening. As long as I stay within my calorie goal and don't over do the sodium I lose weight.

You do not have to avoid any food you enjoy as long as you can moderate your portion size and work it into your calorie goal.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Actually a healthy diet should include healthy fats. Dietary Fat =/= Body Fat

I personally don't feel that you need to eat at certain times. Some days I eat right before bed and some days it's a couple hours before.

As for foods, as long as your getting all your vitamins, fat, and protein in, then I don't believe it really matters what you eat after that point. If it fits within your calorie goals (or macro's if you want to go that route) it's fine.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Stay away from foods you are allergic to. Other than that, if you can make it fit into your calorie goals while getting plenty of the vital nutrients as well, eat all the foods.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Stay away from foods you are allergic to. Other than that, if you can make it fit into your calorie goals while getting plenty of the vital nutrients as well, eat all the foods.

:drinker:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Rotten and insect infested foods.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I don't think the time of day has any impact at all. I work 4 on 4 off night shifts with overtime frequently. This means the times of day I eat are beyond screwy. This has never made any difference to me.

I also started bringing a protein shake in with me. Personally I find this helps to keep me going when I hit the times I start eyeballing the vending machine next to my desk :grumble: