I'll Risk Sounding Silly

Options
I calculated my BMR to be 1,410/day. I currently eat 1,200/day. This would put my deficit at 1,470/week. Does this mean I will lose approximately less than half a pound a week? If so, how is it that my current weight loss rate is 1.9 pounds/week? I currently do not incorporate exercise so I know this will not be a significant factor as I only walk about 2k steps/day for work which MFP calculates to be about 70-90 calories/day. I'm sorry if this question has been asked numerous times, I am still just a bit confused. Thank you in advance for your time and advice.

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Your BMR doesn't include your daily activities. You need to figure out your TDEE. (total daily energy expenditure) Are you using a Fitbit or activity tracker to know your steps?
  • PrincessBanana89
    PrincessBanana89 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I use the activity tracker on the Apple Watch, it calculates my daily expenditure at about the same, < 100
  • I_Will_End_You
    edited February 2016
    Options
    That sounds really low. What are you stats? (age, height, weight)

ETA: But yes, if that is correct, you'll lose less than half a pound per week.
  • PrincessBanana89
    Options
    I just took your recommendation, I used a TDEE calculator and it said 1,692 for my daily expenditure. That's a big difference!
  • PrincessBanana89
    Options
    Perhaps I am more active than I think, I haven't been wearing my watch lately, and I rarely ever walk with my phone in the office.
  • I_Will_End_You
    Options
    Perhaps I am more active than I think, I haven't been wearing my watch lately, and I rarely ever walk with my phone in the office.

I would suggest wearing it consistently for awhile so can figure out an estimate for what you're burning per day that is as accurate as possible.

So if you stuck to a strict 1200 calorie diet, you'd lose around 1lb per week.
  • PrincessBanana89
    Options
    About 3 weeks, this past week was slower
  • PrincessBanana89
    Options
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Give it 6-8 weeks and average your loss per week

And you can work out your TDEE from that